• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Coaching better this year than last? Syracuse coach says "yes"

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,638
  • Days Won:  424

The 2010 team is night and day different from the previous years... if you can't see that then you need to take off your blinders.

You're right .... the previous years teams WON their big ooc game.   ;)

The team does look different offensively because of the success of non-qb running game ... Let's wait until the end of year when we have a little better sampling to go on other than these first 4 games.

we beat miami last year?  ;D

:moon2

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

My take on Marrone's comments were that I was surprised that he decided to "go there". Those comments were a real slap in the face to Leavitt and Co. and I think he could have made the point without bringing up last years team.

I just find it follows a pattern of how the coaches viewed Leavitt and his staff. It reminds me of the rumor that the Rutgers players were telling our players that Schiano told them that USF was the worst coached team in the Big East. Whether Schiano actually ever said those words we will probably never know.

So other BE coaches feel that way about Leavitt too?  I was accused yesterday, on this board, of being in a "tampa echo chamber" that only those of us ignorant rednecks here in tampa have a bad impression of Leavitt now....   Now you are saying BE coaches feel that way too?  In addition to the national media.   hmmmm...  Maybe it isn't as localized as we thought?

I think when I 1st began to question CJL coaching was after the 2007 Sun Bowl.....we were 6.5 point favorites and Oregon just lost their Heisman Canidate QB and were going to a scout team QB freshman.

Then the D players are laughing and telling us they know all of our plays before we run them. Bellotti comes in and installs a whole new offense for them just for our game. We have no tape of it. We on the other hand run the same old QB draw play all day long. Result 56-21

When asked about that later Leavitt said he felt our plays had worked well enough during the season....he saw no reason to make adjustments to our offense for the bowl. I found that response very telling and it seemed CJL had the same attitude in other games. It kind of felt like he was saying....hey we are just going to "wing it".

seems kind of lazy to me.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,638
  • Days Won:  424

My take on Marrone's comments were that I was surprised that he decided to "go there". Those comments were a real slap in the face to Leavitt and Co. and I think he could have made the point without bringing up last years team.

I just find it follows a pattern of how the coaches viewed Leavitt and his staff. It reminds me of the rumor that the Rutgers players were telling our players that Schiano told them that USF was the worst coached team in the Big East. Whether Schiano actually ever said those words we will probably never know.

So other BE coaches feel that way about Leavitt too?  I was accused yesterday, on this board, of being in a "tampa echo chamber" that only those of us ignorant rednecks here in tampa have a bad impression of Leavitt now....   Now you are saying BE coaches feel that way too?  In addition to the national media.   hmmmm...  Maybe it isn't as localized as we thought?

I think when I 1st began to question CJL coaching was after the 2007 Sun Bowl.....we were 6.5 point favorites and Oregon just lost their Heisman Canidate QB and were going to a scout team QB freshman.

Then the D players are laughing and telling us they know all of our plays before we run them. Bellotti comes in and installs a whole new offense for them just for our game. We have no tape of it. We on the other hand run the same old QB draw play all day long. Result 56-21

When asked about that later Leavitt said he felt our plays had worked well enough during the season....he saw no reason to make adjustments to our offense for the bowl. I found that response very telling and it seemed CJL had the same attitude in other games. It kind of felt like he was saying....hey we are just going to "wing it".

I really don't call saying that what we had done during the season should have been fine the same as saying we're just going to "wing it". In fact, to me, it's just the opposite with my definition of "winging it". Hell, they SHOULD have started winging it, things may have been different .... but I doubt it. Oregon came into that game with an entirely different mindset than we did. They were PISSED they were an underdog to a toddler BCS program. It showed in their preparation, with the insitutuion of a new offense, and in the game time emotions.

Coaching won, and lost, that game.  Good coaching won it.  Poor coaching lost it.  We had some great weapons that season, and embarassed ourselves in a bowl game.

• Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

I suppose you could say that but just to give you a different look....Holtz was doing an interview a few weeks back and he said when they watch film of their own offense....they try and gameplan against their own offense to defend against it. Then they re-gameplan their offense to attack the defense that was created to attack their offense on tape.

I was thinking....I wonder if Chico and Leavitt did that? I just keep thinking....Leavitt was a Bill Snyder disciple.....I don't think great coach when I think Bill Snyder....I think, good recruiter and good at scheduling cupcakes. In comparison....I would imagine Skip learned a lot from Dad Lou. I do recall Lou outcoaching people on the field during his time as coach.

I suppose you could say that but just to give you a different look....Holtz was doing an interview a few weeks back and he said when they watch film of their own offense....they try and gameplan against their own offense to defend against it. Then they re-gameplan their offense to attack the defense that was created to attack their offense on tape.

I was thinking....I wonder if Chico and Leavitt did that? I just keep thinking....Leavitt was a Bill Snyder disciple.....I don't think great coach when I think Bill Snyder....I think, good recruiter and good at scheduling cupcakes. In comparison....I would imagine Skip learned a lot from Dad Lou. I do recall Lou outcoaching people on the field during his time as coach.

Bingo, I think we have a winner.

• Content Count:  521
  • Days Won:  0

Bingo, I think we have a winner.

Yep.  I think Leavitt was a good recruiter.  It worked well in the I-AA days and the lower subdivision days, where you can just line up a bunch of Florida athletes and put them on the field and say "go play".

I think when you get to this level of football, a lot of strategy, game planning, and decision-making (aka COACHING) plays a big part.  CJL was a good recruiter, not really a good coach.

Programs like Boise State don't win because of talent.. I doubt Idaho can stack up to California (where Fresno St and San Jose St is) or Louisiana (where LaTech is) in terms of talent.  all those programs play in the WAC with boise..  they win because of great coaching.

• Content Count:  1,633

As small as this is, I noticed at the first home game that the guys who weren't dressed for the game, were all dressed alike. They now wear their jersey and black UA shorts.

With Leavitt, the guys would wear jersey and jeans, jorts, basketball shorts, khaki shorts....basically looked like dog ****.

That always irritated me. All the way back to middle school bball, we would wear team polos and khakis on game days. It blew my mind that a major college football team looked so piss poor and it is somewhat of a reflection on how the team acted. They did what they wanted, acted however they wanted, basically no discipline.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

As small as this is, I noticed at the first home game that the guys who weren't dressed for the game, were all dressed alike. They now wear their jersey and black UA shorts.

With Leavitt, the guys would wear jersey and jeans, jorts, basketball shorts, khaki shorts....basically looked like dog ****.

That always irritated me. All the way back to middle school bball, we would wear team polos and khakis on game days. It blew my mind that a major college football team looked so piss poor and it is somewhat of a reflection on how the team acted. They did what they wanted, acted however they wanted, basically no discipline.

a lot of time recruits will be down on the sidelines wearing whatever they wore that day

• Content Count:  1,633

That always irritated me. All the way back to middle school bball, we would wear team polos and khakis on game days. It blew my mind that a major college football team looked so **** poor and it is somewhat of a reflection on how the team acted. They did what they wanted, acted however they wanted, basically no discipline.

a lot of time recruits will be down on the sidelines wearing whatever they wore that day

Recruits dont wear USF jerseys with their names sewn on the back.

Archived