• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Anthony Chickillo

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  423

Even with all that Dan is a media personality (I use this loosely when referring to Dan, and he certainly isn' a journalist), which providing he doesn't donate to UM, would completely exempt him from such actions.

With your suggestion how would Josh Newberg be allowed to contact other players working for an FSU site?  Why because he is not a designated booster or donor and has labeled himself as a journalist, and he does not solicit players to attend FSU, just reports on them....and there are a 1000's of Newberg's running around doing the exact same thing.

At the risk of being called more names, is this media personality/journalist disclaimer just an unwritten rule that is gone along with? Back when Chickillo was on with Sileo I was trying to find some official exemption info for media types but couldn't find one...

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

Will the NCAA's investigation into Sileo's illegal contact with him play into his choice, I wonder ....

When did Sileo have illegal contact with him?  What is illegal contact anyway, it sounds like a perverted sex act.  Anyone can speak with anyone...the there is nothing 'illegal' about speaking to a recruit, albeit there are certain circumstances where the NCAA would deem it impermissible, but it's a very limited set of circumstances that are not allowed.  Where are you getting this from or is this more TMT wild speculation?

I don't think you're really suppose to talk to a recruit when you're a student/alum....sileo had him on the radio talking about going to um....which in a sense makes him a rep of the school...if I've read the guidelines correctly

Here's the out on that:

Q. Is this contact rule applicable to "established family friends" or neighbors?

A. No. However, it must be understood that such contacts cannot be made for recruiting purposes and cannot be initiated or arranged by USF coaching staff members. In addition, the established relationship between the booster and the prospect must have occurred prior to the friend or neighbor becoming a prospect.

https://admin.xosn.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=859016

Technically, the call wasn't for recruiting purposes but anyone who heard it (don't know if it's still on 620's site or not) knows Sileo was laying it on pretty thick .... and I've got to think if he hadn't been a "family friend" it could have been classified a violation ...

if's he's a family friend, wouldn't he have already met him? I remember seeing a tweet from dan saying Anthony wanted to meet him and he (dan) needed to make sure it didn't violate any NCAA rules.  ???  That tweet just didn't make it seem like he had ever met the kid before.  Also, I think you linked the original broadcast in this thread and dan didn't sound like a member of the media that day..saying he needed to go to miami to put on the green jacket  ::)

• Content Count:  7,040
  • Days Won:  11

Dan tells him to call if you need anything. And was going to hook him up with people down there. Is Luke back in the picture? ;-)

Possible recruiting violation?

I would think he (sileo) was walking a thin line, is the interview up anywhere?

It's streaming online.....also, I'm thinking that might be a possible violation...but I wouldn't really know for sure.

I've found nothing saying it wouldn't be a violation if they talked about UM Athletics ... Nice catch, Apis.  8-)

did you hear the interview?

See if this works .... http://tinyurl.com/Sileo-evidence

From the 2 1/2 minute time on, I'm not sure how that can't be a violation ... unless there is a stipulation for media members.

this one works

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

No doubt, but the USF staff is even cautious about it.  I am realistic and not masochistic, so I don't like to abuse myself with whimsical hopes of the gumdrop fairy.  He may happen, but I'd prefer to stick with the realistic possibility that it's highly likely he will not come here.

Our other big name guys like this...Giddins, T-Rex...I knew months before they were leaning to USF.  This is not a circumstance like those, this is a longest of long shots.  But like you say "Anthing can happen." ::)

I agree that it's a longshot at best, but there is still a chance.

Remember when T-Rex verballed to FSU before he met with Coach Holtz. What's to say the adverse thing couldn't happen after Chickillo meets with Golden. While I agree that Golden would have to royally screw things up, you can never tell what might happen.

Firing Shannon was the only thing that gave USF the slightest of chances.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

It's nise to see that Anthony disagrees with all you naysayers. >:D

JANUARY 06, 2011

pt]Bulls still in hunt for top recruit Chickillo

ST. PETERSBURG -- The recruiting buzz surrounding Alonso defensive end Anthony Chickillo continues to grow, but the coveted recruit said Wednesday night that he's keeping USF as one of his official visits, even as other top programs try to join his list of final choices.

Chickillo considers himself a Miami commitment, though that pledge has softened considerably since Randy Shannon was fired. New Hurricanes coach Al Golden will visit his Tampa home Thursday night, and he has official visits lined up to Florida this weekend, then USF on Jan. 14 and Miami on Jan. 21. For his final visit, he's considering Alabama, Florida State, Auburn, Tennessee and USC.

Defensive tackles coach Kevin Patrick has recruited Chickillo for USF, and the recruit said the relentless way the Bulls have stayed on him is something that's impressed him.

"Coach Patrick, we always talk on the phone. He's a great guy," Chickillo said. "He's been recruiting me the whole time, and I really like him a lot."

Chickillo earned team MVP honors Wednesday, getting the nod over South Carolina phenom Jadeveon Clowney, ranked as ESPNU's No. 1 recruit in the nation. The two bonded during a week of practice and the game and talked about the possibility of playing together in college.

"It would be something. I think we'd be bookends," Chickillo said.

Chickillo will be part of the biggest recruiting weekend the Bulls have ever hosted, with about 25 players expected to visit the Bulls on the same weekend as the team's postseason banquet. Skip Holtz will have a combination of many of his current commitments as well as some of USF's top final targets, players like Chickillo and a half-dozen receivers. USF is believed to have four remaining scholarships in play beyond their current commitments for 2011.

Two of Chickillo's top choices have had coaching changes in the past month, but Miami remains the team to beat -- his father Tony and grandfather Nick also played for the Hurricanes.

"I'm learning about Coach Golden every day," he said. "On Feb. 2, I'll definitely know where I want to go."

http://tinyurl.com/27xoyxt

• Content Count:  1,517
  • Days Won:  1

Maybe he wants to come to a new school and start his own legacy. Maybe he wants to get an award named after him. Maybe he wants to step away from the shadows of his family. We got a chance and he will have much success here.

Will the NCAA's investigation into Sileo's illegal contact with him play into his choice, I wonder ....

When did Sileo have illegal contact with him?  What is illegal contact anyway, it sounds like a perverted sex act.  Anyone can speak with anyone...the there is nothing 'illegal' about speaking to a recruit, albeit there are certain circumstances where the NCAA would deem it impermissible, but it's a very limited set of circumstances that are not allowed.  Where are you getting this from or is this more TMT wild speculation?

I don't think you're really suppose to talk to a recruit when you're a student/alum....sileo had him on the radio talking about going to um....which in a sense makes him a rep of the school...if I've read the guidelines correctly

Here's the out on that:

Q. Is this contact rule applicable to "established family friends" or neighbors?

A. No. However, it must be understood that such contacts cannot be made for recruiting purposes and cannot be initiated or arranged by USF coaching staff members. In addition, the established relationship between the booster and the prospect must have occurred prior to the friend or neighbor becoming a prospect.

https://admin.xosn.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7700&ATCLID=859016

Technically, the call wasn't for recruiting purposes but anyone who heard it (don't know if it's still on 620's site or not) knows Sileo was laying it on pretty thick .... and I've got to think if he hadn't been a "family friend" it could have been classified a violation ...

if's he's a family friend, wouldn't he have already met him? I remember seeing a tweet from dan saying Anthony wanted to meet him and he (dan) needed to make sure it didn't violate any NCAA rules.  ???  That tweet just didn't make it seem like he had ever met the kid before.

I was just going by this info:

Dan Sileo is a friend of the Chickillo family long before Anthony was a football stud.

Also, I think you linked the original broadcast in this thread and dan didn't sound like a member of the media that day..saying he needed to go to miami to put on the green jacket  ::)

By what you just said, I'm assuming Sileo checked with somebody before slobbering all over him ....

Another little twist to this recruitment I haven't seen mentioned yet:

Alonso defensive end Anthony Chickillo spent the practices leading up to Wednesday’s Under Armour All-America Game playing opposite the top recruit in the nation.

Rock Hill (S.C.) South Pointe defensive end Jadeveon Clowney came to Florida with the title of ESPNU’s No. 1 overall prospect. But Clowney left impressed with his new teammate, so much so that they talked about making sure they played again — in college.

“He said he’s going to go wherever I go, so we’ll see if we can stay together,†said Clowney, who played through a nagging left hip injury. “That would be pretty fun, me on one end and him on the other. I’ve got to give it to him. When I got here I told him that, that I was impressed."

http://www.tampabay.com/hometeam/blog/alonsos-chickillo-earns-defensive-mvp-under-armour-game/7915/

Maybe just heat of the moment type talk but someone could be in for a bonanza ...

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/bulls-still-hunt-top-recruit-chickillo

Apparently we are still in the hunt and he is keeping his offical visit with us on 1/14. 

Kevin Patrick keep working on him!

Archived