• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

6-11 Center Geoff Goselle: Bad News

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,982
  • Days Won:  2

There are some points I'm will make here about Goselle's commitment.

1) USF basketball recruiting is really struggling right now. Idk what's worse, losing Goselle to a mid-major or making him our best chance at landing a center for the 2011 class?

2) Give Creighton credit, they got a player of interest on campus and locked down a commitment before he lefts or right after.. That folks is called CLOSING THE DEAL.

Stan and his staff needs to come up with something different because whatever pitch they've been using on these recruits just isn't working. Over this past week USF has lost out on a 2012 Tampa product(Micheal Frazier) and now lost a player to Creighton. Big East Schools don't have these things happen to them.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  126
  • Days Won:  0

Vega, what are your thoughts on and chances we have with Tyler Bergantino c/o '12, from Brooksville?  Kid is 6-9 260 and seems to have a little nasty in him.  Great recipe for a Big East Center/ PF.

Vega, what are your thoughts on and chances we have with Tyler Bergantino c/o '12, from Brooksville?  Kid is 6-9 260 and seems to have a little nasty in him.  Great recipe for a Big East Center/ PF.

Well Heath and his staff are recruiting the guy and have offered a scholarship, but with their continuing failures on the recruiting trail the percentage of Tyler signing with us has to be extremely low right now.

USF loses a lot of recruiting battles but to lose Micheal Frazier(Tampa) really was the coup de grâce for me. Losing Clanton, Days, and Wilson to UCF wasn't good either. Looks like we are about to let Ole Miss get Wayne Martin too. Lost LaLanne and Freddie Riley to Umass each of the last two years also.

• Content Count:  126
  • Days Won:  0

As far as Michael Frazier goes, we are snakebit with Plant HS so I wasn't counting on him seriously at all.  Is it really just the way we are recruiting (coaches), or is it the facilities or lack thereof?  Or a combination?  It's probably not that simple but for goodness sakes it can't be just the school because football is starting to get it done. 

As far as Michael Frazier goes, we are snakebit with Plant HS so I wasn't counting on him seriously at all.  Is it really just the way we are recruiting (coaches), or is it the facilities or lack thereof?  Or a combination?  It's probably not that simple but for goodness sakes it can't be just the school because football is starting to get it done. 

Most fans will have you believe that the facilities are the reason why. I just can't totally buy into that since we know a new state of the art practice facility is being built and any player that is a part of the 2011 class will get to practice in it. I believe it's more to do the coaches and what they haven't been doing.

The assistant coach job at every school is to go and get players for his boss(the head coach). Eric Skeeters, Reggie Hansen, and Jeremy Cox are the assistants to Heath in charge of this task.

Jeremy Cox is the one with ties to the JC ranks so it looks like he has done his job. We will see how well once this JC players take the court for USF in a few months.

Reggie Hansen was on Tubby Smith's staff at UK. He suppose to be a go getter although many UK fans credit him for the demise of Tubby Smith there because Hansen couldn't recruit UK level players. He brought in a look of reaches. Honestly I'm a little surprise he is still around. We will see what happens after the season is over here.

Eric Skeeters suppose to be a real go getter. A Baltimore native with all kinds of ties to that area and Maryland in general. USF gets in on a lot of guys from Baltimore but so far we haven't landed 1. Maybe Skeeters is doing his job but Heath can't close the deal.

I said before whatever pitch these coaches are using with these prospects obviously hasn't worked so far. Something needs to change and with the new rule being passed that colleges can't hire outside influences to lure a recruit to their school really hurts Stan Heath. No more Woody type hires, and we could probably use that method pretty bad right now.

I'm still hoping for some good news sooner or later. A bad 2011 class would sat the program back a couple of years and nobody wants that to happen.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,626
  • Days Won:  424

Most fans will have you believe that the facilities are the reason why. I just can't totally buy into that since we know a new state of the art practice facility is being built and any player that is a part of the 2011 class will get to practice in it. I believe it's more to do the coaches and what they haven't been doing.

Sorry, Vega, you may want not want to totally buy into it but Seth didn't have the type recruiting problems he had here at LBS and VT and Heath did a pretty decent job of recruiting at Arkansas. Showing a potential recruit a picture just isn't the same as walking them through a real facility ... The Center should be a huge help ... and do you know what % of away games they charter to now?

Sorry, Vega, you may want not want to totally buy into it but Seth didn't have the type recruiting problems he had here at LBS and VT and Heath did a pretty decent job of recruiting at Arkansas. Showing a potential recruit a picture just isn't the same as walking them through a real facility ... The Center should be a huge help ... and do you know what % of away games they charter to now?

Now I do buy into the charter flights problem but not into the lack of facilities that so many believe to be the biggest problem. Triple B USF is being out recruited by teams that has to win their league in order to get into the NCAAT...not good.

Not ever high major basketball program has top notch facilities or a caring fan base but they are able to recruit at a much better level then USF. Look in the SEC where football rules the land. Other then UK, Arkansas, and Tenn, no other other SEC basketball team is drawing full capacity crowds(well SC does well winning or losing) and many have outdated facilities and or lack a practice facility. The administration of some of those schools put most of the resources in football so there aren't upgrades coming anytime soon. Have you ever seen the places LSU, Ole Miss, and MSU play in? It's not a pretty sight.

Also up to this point the previous coach and his staff have signed better HS players then the current staff. There's something very wrong about that.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,626
  • Days Won:  424

Now I do buy into the charter flights problem but not into the lack of facilities that so many believe to be the biggest problem. Triple B USF is being out recruited by teams that has to win their league in order to get into the NCAAT...not good.

Not ever high major basketball program has top notch facilities or a caring fan base but they are able to recruit at a much better level then USF. Look in the SEC where football rules the land. Other then UK, Arkansas, and Tenn, no other other SEC basketball team is drawing full capacity crowds(well SC does well winning or losing) and many have outdated facilities and or lack a practice facility. The administration of some of those schools put most of the resources in football so there aren't upgrades coming anytime soon. Have you ever seen the places LSU, Ole Miss, and MSU play in? It's not a pretty sight.

And I'll keep repeating, Seth and Stan didn't have a huge problem recruiting at other schools ... The primary problem, whatever is, isn't with the coach.

Also up to this point the previous coach and his staff have signed better HS players then the current staff. There's something very wrong about that.

One .... but previous staff also signed better transfers/Jucos up to this point also ... ****, looking back, my man Mac outrecruited Seth and Stan, so far.  :D

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Vega,

You are right. Stan HAS to figure out how to get these guys to come here.

We know the man can coach you don't go 9-9 in the Big East without coaching.

We know the man can recruit. He showed that while on the Michigan staff and at Arkansas. I purposefully left of Kent State cause that program seems to chug along no matter the coach.

Whatever it is that is keeping him from landing his B level guys he has to figure it out quick.

If Gus has a full year like he did the first half I would expect him to enter the draft. Famous is also gone. That leaves us with lots of work to do.

Vega,

You are right. Stan HAS to figure out how to get these guys to come here.

We know the man can coach you don't go 9-9 in the Big East without coaching.

We know the man can recruit. He showed that while on the Michigan staff and at Arkansas. I purposefully left of Kent State cause that program seems to chug along no matter the coach.

Whatever it is that is keeping him from landing his B level guys he has to figure it out quick.

If Gus has a full year like he did the first half I would expect him to enter the draft. Famous is also gone. That leaves us with lots of work to do.

Delta you, I, and a couple of more seem to be the only ones that understand the importance of basketball recruiting.The scenario you described above is a scary one for sure. It is a real possibility that Gus will leave and it won't take a huge year for him to do so either. Recruiting guys like Geoff Groselle is not going to win you many front line battles or hold your own in the Big East. We need good players not just bodies.

Also I mentioned before that the bottom feeders are figuring out recruiting. St John's just picked up a HUGE VERBAL from sensational SF Maurice Harkless today. He 's a great HS player that has former players and current BE coaches calling him a special talent. Rutgers is about to get one of the better big man prospects in the 2011 class in Kadeem Jack. They may also be the front runner for SG Mike Taylor now as well. Both Harkless and Taylor are guys USF recruited hard.

In this league a bad recruiting class can bury you at the bottom in a hurry and make it extremely hard to climb back up.

Archived