• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's Reasons for Concern and Hope

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

<a href="http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/10522/usfs-reasons-for-concern-and-hope">http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/10522/usfs-reasons-for-concern-and-hope</a>

Take on the upcoming season by ESPN Big east blogger Brian Bennett.  It's a "video" clip--really just this guy in a room talking--easy to put on in the background at work and just listen to (no highlight clips or anything).  I follow this blog, and think that currently Bennett is jaded on USF...he's of the "fool me once, shame on you..." media mentality.  But he does have a good feel for the pulse of the league overall.

I think he has a "safe" take here on us for the upcoming season.  The big "hope" is FCSH, and a "new attitude" in Tampa...he thinks we'll "get over the hump", just not this season.  Concerns are that we are a young team, especially on defense, and the depth concerns that go along with that.  Receivers and RBs are another concern; he doesn't see a 1,000-yard back.  But hope for the next few years is "really high."  Again, a safe take, and not adding much.  I think Bennett follows BE teams farther north much more closely...gets a lot of his news from Greg, actually.  What do you think of Bennett and his take on us?

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

seems pretty fair to me.  I'm not bullish on the Bulls this year either, but a bit bearish.

For many of the reasons mentioned here, and previously.  Lots of youth but short on experience.  Unproven D (with loss of a few key guys).  New coach.  New assistants.  New look of D and O.  Special Teams issues from the past not necessarily resolved, we'll see how it goes.  Past record of underachieving in the past 3 seasons during the second half (a lot of that due to depth/injuiries, but some of it due to coaching).  Tough Road schedule.

It doesn't take away for my excitement for the team.  I think we will win strong in RJS.  I cannot wait and am glad we have 7 home games to cheer on the bulls.  They play better at home with fan support.

Like I've said before, I see us as top 3 in BE in 2011 and would want us 1 or 2 in 2012 and BE winners by 2013 under Holtz.  This year, maybe 7 - 5 and ST Pete Bowl.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

holtz will make usf into a power

he needs 2-3 years to do it

holtz will make usf one of best jobs in america

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

seems pretty fair to me.  I'm not bullish on the Bulls this year either, but a bit bearish.

For many of the reasons mentioned here, and previously.  Lots of youth but short on experience.  Unproven D (with loss of a few key guys).  New coach.  New assistants.  New look of D and O.  Special Teams issues from the past not necessarily resolved, we'll see how it goes.  Past record of underachieving in the past 3 seasons during the second half (a lot of that due to depth/injuiries, but some of it due to coaching).  Tough Road schedule.

It doesn't take away for my excitement for the team.  I think we will win strong in RJS.  I cannot wait and am glad we have 7 home games to cheer on the bulls.  They play better at home with fan support.

Like I've said before, I see us as top 3 in BE in 2011 and would want us 1 or 2 in 2012 and BE winners by 2013 under Holtz.   This year, maybe 7 - 5 and ST Pete Bowl.

See about the same too.  Anything above 6-6 this year is really going to be based on a great coaching job.  Football is tough for players, particularly a QB, to just adapt to a new system in 8-9 months.  BJ was still working to master the old system, now a new system...with no insurance back-up, and now his top 2 WR's possibly out all season.  Add those complications to the fact the defense will have lost so many super stars....just make a bowl this year and I will be happy.

It's building for 2011 and 2012.  If we get Scott, Aycock, Boyd, and maybe 1 more key transfer, with this last signing class....by 2011 BJ will have tons of experience in this offense, Barrington will not be a green MLB, but a smart, cagy, experienced MLB...All things point to 2011 and 2012.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Like I've said before, I see us as top 3 in BE in 2011 and would want us 1 or 2 in 2012 and BE winners by 2013 under Holtz.   This year, maybe 7 - 5 and ST Pete Bowl.

See about the same too.  Anything above 6-6 this year is really going to be based on a great coaching job.  Football is tough for players, particularly a QB, to just adapt to a new system in 8-9 months.  BJ was still working to master the old system, now a new system...with no insurance back-up, and now his top 2 WR's possibly out all season.  Add those complications to the fact the defense will have lost so many super stars....just make a bowl this year and I will be happy.

It's building for 2011 and 2012.  If we get Scott, Aycock, Boyd, and maybe 1 more key transfer, with this last signing class....by 2011 BJ will have tons of experience in this offense, Barrington will not be a green MLB, but a smart, cagy, experienced MLB...All things point to 2011 and 2012.

This post is truth. There will be some growing pains this year that would have happened with CJL or CSH.  2011 is the year where i think we take a big step forward and should contend seriously for the BE title all the way down to the wire. 

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

We three key guys to replace on defense.( Kion Wilson, Nate Allen, and Jason Pierre Paul) Saying that, the defense should be our stronger unit antil the offense steps up. Could be this year or next.

• Content Count:  4,879

i'm surprised that these prognosticators don't jump on how pivital the 'Cuse game will be to the Bulls season.  Maybe they feel that a 5-1 USF squad that finishes 7-5 is just another late season swoon, but 7-5, 3-4 would be a good start for CSH.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Content Count:  7,008
  • Days Won:  12

It's a "video" clip--really just this guy in a room talking

and why does that setting constitute video being put in quotations?

anyway, i like brian bennett. he is the voice of reason whether green and gold goggle wearers like it or not, perhaps even biased towards us because he follows our league.

• Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

It's a "video" clip--really just this guy in a room talking

and why does that setting constitute video being put in quotations?

anyway, i like brian bennett. he is the voice of reason whether green and gold goggle wearers like it or not, perhaps even biased towards us because he follows our league.

Well, it IS a video clip on ESPN.com...personally, my standards are a little higher than the guy using his iSight and staring into the camera.  It's just a blog, so I don't expect highlight reels or anything fancy, but it's still pretty lame considering it's actually ESPN.  But I really just put video in quotes because there's no reason to actually watch it...I just treat it like audio and let it play in the background.

I like Bennett too, but he certainly isn't "biased" toward us, goggles or not.

• Content Count:  2,558

I like football :)

Archived