• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Year is 2016 and you are USF's AD

Would you invite Leavitt to the 20th Anniversary celebration after his lawsuit?   

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  14,407
  • Days Won:  13

If he does get hired again don't expect it to be a HC job and don't expect a contract. He will join unemployed men's basketball HCs who sued their universities Jim O'Brien and Billy Gillispie.

I don't think anyone seriously expected Leavitt to get a HC job.  USF could have fired him in Ocotober of last year and I doubt he would have been a serious candidate for any D1-A coaching position - let alone a BCS school.  Leavitt's stockw as high at one time, but as USF has begun to tailspin midway through the year for so many years straight, Leavitt's name has not been raised seriously for coaching vacancies. 

I think he was looking at an NFL assistant type position.  THat would be a better fit for him for a while.  There are really no issues there with coach/player abuse -- if anything the abuse would go the other way.

Any employer at any level will look at him suing his previous employer when fired for cause and pass on him. He has made himself unemployable.  The only thing he can hope for is a multi-million dollar settlement to live off or find something he can do where he works for himself. Maybe open a Quiznos.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

Well perhaps in comparison to the fact that he has been fired from a previous job for abusing a player, yeah it might be a small issue.

Using the term "abuse" in describing this situation is making a mockery of the vast multitude of people who actually have been abused ... You should be ashamed.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Well perhaps in comparison to the fact that he has been fired from a previous job for abusing a player, yeah it might be a small issue.

Using the term "abuse" in describing this situation is making a mockery of the vast multitude of people who actually have been abused ... You should be ashamed.

I'm pretty sure if you walked on campus and slapped a student... It is safe to say you 'abused' or in some cases assaulted that person.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

I'm pretty sure if you walked on campus and slapped a student... It is safe to say you 'abused' or in some cases assaulted that person.

You would actually call that scenario "abuse"??  You're both being overdramatic .... You've got a better argument for trying to pass it off as an assault.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

You, fine sire, are making a mockery of those who have suffered significant abuse.  Abuse goes well beyond simple assault and happens often when someone in a position of authority (wait for it) abuses that authority.  For younger individuals, such as college football players, who look up to an admire coaches as father figures, such abuse can often have signfiicant long-lasting effects.  Joel seems like a tough kid and I am guessing he is gonna roll through this OK.  Never-the-less, Leavitt's assault and later outright denial have and threats (biggest man in building non-sense) have no doubt caused him significant mental anguish well beyond the physical slap (which I would believe to be fairly benign).

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/abuse  I think definition 1,2, and 4 all apply pretty directly.

I'm trying to figure out if you're really naive enough to believe all that crap or just being overly dramatic...or just another hater that wants to believe it.

Naive enough to believe what?  That abuse takes many forms?  That two of those include abuse of power and emotional abuse?  I really liked Jim Leavit as a coach.  I 100% wanted to see him coach at USF for at least another 2 years.  The mid-season collapses certainly had started to wear on my patience, but like most of USF nation, I was still a firm supporter of Jim Leavitt.  When this story first began to break I commented on his love for the university and how much I hoped he could be our coach next year.  Given his resposne to the allegations, his obvious false statements to the investigators (not specifically talking about choke or grab here, just some general incongruent statements), and his alleged attempts to circumvent the investigation it became obvious that he could not continue at USF.  I not along support the decision of our administration, given the facts presented to them I believe it was the only decision available to them. 

If Leavitt wanted to argue that he didn't really slap the kid that hard and it was good for him, then all the power to him.  Bobby Knight did it, with varying degrees of success.  But I have a hard time with a coach preaching integrity and responsibility to his team and then doing this.  There seems to be litle doubt an incident took place of some sufficient magnitude and Jim has just made it out like it was another half-time chat.

You would actually call that scenario "abuse"??  You're both being overdramatic .... You've got a better argument for trying to pass it off as an assault.

i would say that walking onto campus and slapping someone is certainly abuse... are you joking? haha.

i forgot that you believe that CJL was fired b/c he knelt down on his knees pleading with a player.

I'm trying to figure out if you're really naive enough to believe all that crap or just being overly dramatic...or just another hater that wants to believe it.

Naive enough to believe what?  That abuse takes many forms?  That two of those include abuse of power and emotional abuse?  I really liked Jim Leavit as a coach.  I 100% wanted to see him coach at USF for at least another 2 years.  The mid-season collapses certainly had started to wear on my patience, but like most of USF nation, I was still a firm supporter of Jim Leavitt.  When this story first began to break I commented on his love for the university and how much I hoped he could be our coach next year.  Given his resposne to the allegations, his obvious false statements to the investigators (not specifically talking about choke or grab here, just some general incongruent statements), and his alleged attempts to circumvent the investigation it became obvious that he could not continue at USF.  I not along support the decision of our administration, given the facts presented to them I believe it was the only decision available to them. 

If Leavitt wanted to argue that he didn't really slap the kid that hard and it was good for him, then all the power to him.  Bobby Knight did it, with varying degrees of success.  But I have a hard time with a coach preaching integrity and responsibility to his team and then doing this.  There seems to be litle doubt an incident took place of some sufficient magnitude and Jim has just made it out like it was another half-time chat.

some people would lead you to believe it was a conspiracy... created by players who didn't like Leavitt :P oh and mcmurph.

• Content Count:  14,407
  • Days Won:  13

You, fine sire, are making a mockery of those who have suffered significant abuse.  Abuse goes well beyond simple assault and happens often when someone in a position of authority (wait for it) abuses that authority.  For younger individuals, such as college football players, who look up to an admire coaches as father figures, such abuse can often have signfiicant long-lasting effects.  Joel seems like a tough kid and I am guessing he is gonna roll through this OK.  Never-the-less, Leavitt's assault and later outright denial have and threats (biggest man in building non-sense) have no doubt caused him significant mental anguish well beyond the physical slap (which I would believe to be fairly benign).

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/abuse  I think definition 1,2, and 4 all apply pretty directly.

+1 I would like to hear the other issues brought up during the investigation, the ones that it said in the report would forward to the  appropriate USF services.

It is all sumarized rather nicely in the 33 page final report (linked it a while back, but I know you have already read it).  I have no other knowledge -- I know we seem to have fans around here who are connected to various players or coaches, I am not one of those.  His characterizations of the lockerroom event as being just another "motivational talk" was not congruent with Joel's actions after the game, his comments to his previous coach and current teammates, or his follow-on meeting with Jim Leavitt. 

If you put yourself in the position of AD or President and you read the report, you really have little or no options but to fire the head coach.  I understand you have reservations about the completeness of the report, but I have yet to fully understand what more it is you want.  I know a few have harped on the line about other issues reported to appropriate authorities... that really didn't seem particularly suprising and almost boiler plate.  I think any investigation of this level of detail is going to reveal that someone does osmething they shouldn't (let's their son's football team use practice facilities during summer, has a beer cooler in their office, burns candles against USF's fire prevention policy, etc). 

Archived