• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Skip talked to O'liar...Why?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

We need to be pragmatic and look at this situation from a economic point of view...

The economy sucks and has yet to hit rock bottom,

you have no idea what you're talking about

Seems to happen a good deal when he posts.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Would you rather USF play Wofford or UCF?

Wofford. We wouldn't have to return a game at their place.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

holtz is a samesman and knows game needs to be played

ftu/ou/oc

they are 1a school

1 ???

2 UCF/FAU/FIU

3 road BCS

4 home BCS

5 Miami

6 Cincinnati

7 Connecticut

8 Louisville

9 Pittsburgh

10 Rutgers

11 Syracuse

12 West Virginia

Actually, you've got it off... the scheduling philosophy

1.  I-AA team  [As long as USF can count the win toward bowl eligibility, it's no-brainer to have a HOME WIN every year]

2. Non-BCS (Home in years with 3 Big East homes games / Away in years with 4 Big East home games)

3. Non-BCS Home

4. BCS Home  (this INCLUDES Miami)

5. BCS Road (this INCLUDES Miami)

6-12. Big East games

Doug Woolard wants to get USF to a position to have SEVEN home games...

he needs to build usf into a power

get rid a 1aaaaaaaaaaaaa game

• Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

But we have to pay then hundreds of thousands to come to Tampa.

But we have to pay then hundreds of thousands to come to Tampa.

And we make money off that with season ticket sales. I think it was Jim who mentioned something about the goal of playing 7 home games in a season and I'd rather have that then playing UCF on the road.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

1 ???

2 UCF/FAU/FIU

3 road BCS

4 home BCS

5 Miami

6 Cincinnati

7 Connecticut

8 Louisville

9 Pittsburgh

10 Rutgers

11 Syracuse

12 West Virginia

You've got USF playing 3 BCS teams OOC.  Quick, name me one other team that plays 3 BCS teams OOC.  Some play zero (Texas Tech, etc.), and a lot play only 1, some play 2.  So you've got USF playing 300% more bcs games than a lot of programs.

• Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

1 ???

2 UCF/FAU/FIU

3 road BCS

4 home BCS

5 Miami

6 Cincinnati

7 Connecticut

8 Louisville

9 Pittsburgh

10 Rutgers

11 Syracuse

12 West Virginia

You've got USF playing 3 BCS teams OOC.  Quick, name me one other team that plays 3 BCS teams OOC.  Some play zero (Texas Tech, etc.), and a lot play only 1, some play 2.  So you've got USF playing 300% more bcs games than a lot of programs.

Notre Dame, ROFLOL.  But the PAC 10 is heading to it with the toughest OOC schedule of anyone. http://www.rollbamaroll.com/2010/3/8/1363321/pac-10-football-out-of-conference

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

I shake my head at the blind overblown hatred some of you have for UCF.

Problem is, the BE has a backloaded schedule, so you never really know if the teams you're playing OOC early on will do anything for you.

Someone mentioned how we beat them in 2007 by a ton, and they won their conference. The reason it didn't matter is because USF shat the bed with 3 straight losses, and the arguments of whether UCF would have helped the SoS that year went out the window. Had USF been in the mix for a zero or one loss season, the win over UCF would have been much better than a Wofford or insert-win-here team. We handily beat UCF in what many would perceive (from the outside) as a rivalry game (at the time it was only a 2-0 series), and we destroyed their defense who was pretty good, and shut down their star player the whole game. We beat WVU that year by knocking Steve Slaton out of the game, and injuring Pat White just enough to make them play (at the time) Jarrett Brown. The other wins that year OOC were what, Elon State, FAU (which was much closer than we wanted it to be), a crappy North Carolina team, and the great win over Auburn. Having UCF on the schedule that year was tons better than playing someone from a lower conference. We already had SEC and ACC covered with Auburn and UNC, the FCS patsy in Elon, and the two mid-grade teams from the SunBelt and C-USA.

I like that format, two BCS games, two mid majors, and a patsy. In the future, I would hope we can arrange the patsy game with someone from at least the FBS division, and bring in a slightly better opponent like a WAC, MAC, or SunBelt team. Go something like:

1. MAC/Sunbelt opener

2. WAC/MWC home and home if possible

3. C-USA home and home series

4. BCS - assume for now that yearly Miami series is here.

5. BCS - try to aim higher for a Big 12 or SEC team; we've proven we can do it.

And then 7 BE games.

1. Upping the competition for the opener (or any game) increases the chances of a crazy upset, but those happen and I think we can handle it. The boost in SoS alone will be nice....I'd really hate to have a year where we give someone a paycheck and a beating and then that be the reason we get left out if we're in the mix for a ranking and a shot at a big bowl game. It will also increase chances of being on a bigger network. USF's opening game is pretty much always on BHSN, because there are usually bigger teams playing games on the larger networks and we're just not there yet to garner first week attention.

2. It would be nice to have an unknown game. It will also give more exposure, and if we did a home and home series, it gives some of us the chance to travel to other destinations besides the eastern half of the US. It also gives a little boost if we can win these games and shut up the MWC fans who clamor their teams are better than ours.

The two OOC BCS games are nice. Miami fills in nicely and they look to be on the upswing to being good competition every year - so if we get a win against them, it's unlikely they'll be a 5-7 team or worse and will only help in SoS. Playing the Big 12, SEC, Big Ten OOC games gets the SoS up, and is a good measuring stick for conference games. The exposure is obviously there, and will usually carry a higher desire to be in a good time slot on a major network. Even if we're playing Indiana (like we do in 2011 or 2012), USF will likely be in the noon (or 11am local) timeslot on the Big Ten Network...not bad to expose us to recruits and curious watchers in the Midwest. Even playing a random west coast game in the Pac 10 every 4-5 years would be nice as well.

Archived