• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's Mt Rushmore

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,041
  • Days Won:  11

Come on, you would have to look to Blackwell as part of that success.  Also, Henry, who not only was our highest draft pick up to last week (I think), but is still an impact player in the NFL.  What about Bill Gramatica who set the second longest kick in NCAA record (post tee) wearing our jersey and his contribution to our wins.

I think you would have to say Woodard is also probably the biggest contributor to where we are now.  He was the man who put the leverage on the Big East to take us along with L'ville and Cincy when we left CUSA.  If he had not made the deal to waive millions in fees, we would still be in CUSA and the board would be all about our dominance of UCF today.

Mike Jenkins - 1st rounder

Kawika was a 2nd rounder....

Henry was a 4th rounder

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Lee Roy Selmon would top of that list. Without his efforts, there would not be a football program.

While I agree on the first part of what you said, the football efforts had begun long before Lee Roy came on board. He certainly helped accelerate things once he was hired.

My USF Mt. Rushmore:

Coach Leavitt

Paul Griffin

Lee Roy Selmon

Frank Borkowski (sp?)

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Selmon

Leavitt

Pierre-Paul

Rocky

OK...two of those are jokes. We really only have 2 bonafide guys to put up there right now.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

leavitt cant be on the mountain

he was fired after assaulting a player

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

usf hasnt won a thing so i wouldnt invest in building on the side of a mountain yet

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

South florida flip, wasn't Lee Roy here before Leavitt? I don't know. Those days were a little hazy for me. Partying HARD in the 90's.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Yes, he was hired before Coach Leavitt, but the process to begin football started before Lee Roy Selmon came on board, hence why Frank Borkowski (Sp?) would be on my USF Mt. Rushmore.

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

You pople asking why Grothe....Are you serious??? CJL and grothe are the two biggest reason we are where we are in a short period of time.

1. Where are the Bulls today?

2. What did Grothe do that got us there?

Look at pre grothe, and post grothe, compare the two and you tell me

• Content Count:  557
  • Days Won:  0

For all of you who are questioning 'why grothe?' I ask you one question: REALY?!?!?!?!

The guy started for 4 years (although his freshman and senior years were shared)

Guided us to our first ever bowl win

Took us to levels never reached before (#2 in the nation; wins against top 10 teams; etc)

Has better credentials than any other football player to dawn a bulls uni

Was our offense for four years (litteraly the only reason we ever moved the ball down the field)

Helped put us on the map

Oh and he just happens to be the BE record holder in all purpose yards

The guy might not be a quintessential NFL QB, but that does not diminish his worth to the USF program. Grothe was the face of USF football for 4 years and in my mind should be on a USF MT. Rushmore without a doubt. Oh and while we are at it RETIRE #8!!!!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

Lee Roy Selmon would top of that list. Without his efforts, there would not be a football program.

While I agree on the first part of what you said, the football efforts had begun long before Lee Roy came on board. He certainly helped accelerate things once he was hired.

My USF Mt. Rushmore:

Coach Leavitt

Paul Griffin

Lee Roy Selmon

Frank Borkowski (sp?)

Really hard to argue with that list ... As much as what any of the players did, they don't get the chance without those 4..... Get a Heisman trophy winner or qb to lead us to a MNC and we can maybe revisit.

Archived