• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stoops vs Leavitt

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,592
  • Days Won:  424

maybe I'm missing something, but I don't remember us having a winning record in our conference or ever winning the sunbowl....

The original premise of this thread was kind of a stretch ....

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Mizzou you bring up a good point. If Leavitt had the benefit of being the head coach of a REAL football school, with a REAL football tradition, with REAL fan support, with REAL big time college football facilities and a REAL BIG TIME FOOTBALL BUDGET what would he have accomplished. It seems like our talent always lagged behind our progress - Division 1AA with raw players, moving up to Division 1 and into Conferrence USA with Division 1AA talent. Then into the Big East with mid-major talent. Always winning at each level. We were just starting to recruit some big time talent (Giddens) and he gets canned. We will never know what could have been, if anything. However, to say he was not a good coach doesn't add up to the facts. To me anyway.

i think CJL was a good coach... def had some flaws but he has forgotten more about football than any of us on here know...

the thing is... he is being compared to stoops in this thread... which is hilarious.

Thing is, you don't know how he would have done with the same opportunity as Stoops ... USF/Oklahoma ... apples/oranges ... as it's been pointed out.

and all im pointed out is that the coaches who are the best, are given the best opportunities.

The more you say, the more you back me up .... Leavitt WAS given one of the best opportunities, so, based on YOUR criteria, he WAS one of the best.

i haven't seen anything that says he was formally offered the position...

How convenient ...

who makes like 140k base 2k2 then turns down over 1mil plus...

Someone who has what he considers his deam job ... and especially a job that has the potential to eventually get up there as far as compensation is concerned .... but, even then, it's not always about the money. One day you'll realize this...

i know Leavitt wasn't all about the money but to turn down nearly TEN TIMES your pay... i guess some day you will learn that that isn't rational :P? fwiw bama fan said its possible he was offered but they offered a million guys all of which turned them down, looming sanctions... considered it a 'dark age' for bama.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,592
  • Days Won:  424

Mizzou you bring up a good point. If Leavitt had the benefit of being the head coach of a REAL football school, with a REAL football tradition, with REAL fan support, with REAL big time college football facilities and a REAL BIG TIME FOOTBALL BUDGET what would he have accomplished. It seems like our talent always lagged behind our progress - Division 1AA with raw players, moving up to Division 1 and into Conferrence USA with Division 1AA talent. Then into the Big East with mid-major talent. Always winning at each level. We were just starting to recruit some big time talent (Giddens) and he gets canned. We will never know what could have been, if anything. However, to say he was not a good coach doesn't add up to the facts. To me anyway.

i think CJL was a good coach... def had some flaws but he has forgotten more about football than any of us on here know...

the thing is... he is being compared to stoops in this thread... which is hilarious.

Thing is, you don't know how he would have done with the same opportunity as Stoops ... USF/Oklahoma ... apples/oranges ... as it's been pointed out.

and all im pointed out is that the coaches who are the best, are given the best opportunities.

The more you say, the more you back me up .... Leavitt WAS given one of the best opportunities, so, based on YOUR criteria, he WAS one of the best.

How convenient ...

Someone who has what he considers his deam job ... and especially a job that has the potential to eventually get up there as far as compensation is concerned .... but, even then, it's not always about the money. One day you'll realize this...

i know Leavitt wasn't all about the money but to turn down nearly TEN TIMES your pay... i guess some day you will learn that that isn't rational :P?

First of all, I doubt if it was TEN TIMES the pay he ultimately received as a result of the offer .... Second, one day you too will learn that quality of life can play a huge part in one's life choices and Shirley you wont argue that the quality of life in Tuscaloosa and in Tampa are on completely different levels.

• Content Count:  12,461
  • Days Won:  25

Let's just assume that you have your "Dream Job" as stated by CJL many times.

Let's just assume that you make enough money to live in a $1,000,000.00 or better house.

Let's just assume someone gives you a pretty darn good vehicle to drive, your employer just built you a new office building with plans to expand even more in the near future.

Let's just assume you make whatever CJL was making, somewhere in the seven figure range, plus  endorsements, and you get a bonus for being average.

How much money would it take to go to a place where your every move will be scrutinized, your family may be harrassed, you are only judged by the product you put out, and above average isn't good enough?

How convenient ...

i know Leavitt wasn't all about the money but to turn down nearly TEN TIMES your pay... i guess some day you will learn that that isn't rational :P?

First of all, I doubt if it was TEN TIMES the pay he ultimately received as a result of the offer .... Second, one day you too will learn that quality of life can play a huge part in one's life choices and Shirley you wont argue that the quality of life in Tuscaloosa and in Tampa are on completely different levels.

for sure Tuscaloosa would be terrible. I have trouble seeing how someone would forgo such an opportunity just because they don't want to live in Tuscaloosa.  A few hundred K total or upwards of 1mil base. Surely you won't argue that coaches have to have a large ego to be in the business. Being offered the Bama job is like being offered to be a C-level manager in a business scenario. If i'm a coach, i'm trying to coach at the best school i can possibly coach at and win the most titles.

i think possible sanctions may have been a contributing factor.

we aren't even on topic anymore so i'll leave it there.

• Content Count:  66,077
  • Days Won:  172

if leavitt was as good as stoops he would be coaching at a traditional powerhouse...

Like Alabama?

yes

instead he is unemployed and volunteering at under armor football camps.

leavitt is closer to shula

leavitt will never be a head coach at major college

leavitt won nothing as a head coach at any level

he isnt is same coaching class as stoops

leavitt was routinely outcoached by big east brethren

• Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

its an interesting comparison, but flawed. 

not sure how everyone thinks stoops is a great coach.  isn't he a solid 0-fer in the last several BCS games?

not sure how everyone thinks stoops is a great coach.  isn't he a solid 0-fer in the last several BCS games?

1 National Championship (2000)

6 Big 12 Championships (2000,2002,2004,2006–08)

no one thought leavitt was a great coach

and few thought of him as a good coach

Archived