• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stoops vs Leavitt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Days Won:  0

I have read a few negative posts on Leavitt, talent and coaching.

Here is an interesting fact to ponder

The Sooners finished the season 8–5, 5–3 in Big 12 play and won the Sun Bowl 31–27 against Stanford.

Four members of the team were drafted in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft, including three in the top four picks: Sam Bradford at #1, Gerald McCoy at #3, Trent Williams at #4, and Jermaine Gresham at #21. Oklahoma thus became the first school in the history of the NFL Draft with three players selected in the top four picks.  7 players over all in the draft.

Using the same logic as some have, we could draw the conclusion based on pure talent that Leavitt was a better coach than Stoops in 2009. 

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,471
  • Days Won:  13

can we stop with the CJL threads. Jesus Christ.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

I have read a few negative posts on Leavitt, talent and coaching.

Here is an interesting fact to ponder

The Sooners finished the season 8–5, 5–3 in Big 12 play and won the Sun Bowl 31–27 against Stanford.

Four members of the team were drafted in the first round of the 2010 NFL Draft, including three in the top four picks: Sam Bradford at #1, Gerald McCoy at #3, Trent Williams at #4, and Jermaine Gresham at #21. Oklahoma thus became the first school in the history of the NFL Draft with three players selected in the top four picks.  7 players over all in the draft.

Using the same logic as some have, we could draw the conclusion based on pure talent that Leavitt was a better coach than Stoops in 2009. 

did you really just suggest that Jim Leavitt is a better coach that Bob Stoops?

• Content Count:  827

No he is just using the same theory that most on this board used against how Leavitt was so bad because his team was average with so many players drafted.

So what was Stoops excuse?

• Content Count:  5,241

I thought Leavitt was an above average coach, but Stoops is way ahead of him.

I thought Leavitt was an above average coach, but Stoops is way ahead of him.

Reverse the two coaches rolls.

If after his move to OU, former Missouri AD Joe Castiglione had hired Leavitt (away from USF) instead of assistant coach Stoops then Leavitt would have had the benefit of being the head coach of a REAL football school, with a REAL football tradition, with REAL fan support, with REAL big time college football facilities and a REAL BIG TIME FOOTBALL BUDGET....

You guys need to GET REAL.

if leavitt was as good as stoops he would be coaching at a traditional powerhouse... stoops and leavitt are in different tax brackets.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,593
  • Days Won:  424

if leavitt was as good as stoops he would be coaching at a traditional powerhouse...

Like Alabama?

• Content Count:  89

Mizzou you bring up a good point. If Leavitt had the benefit of being the head coach of a REAL football school, with a REAL football tradition, with REAL fan support, with REAL big time college football facilities and a REAL BIG TIME FOOTBALL BUDGET what would he have accomplished. It seems like our talent always lagged behind our progress - Division 1AA with raw players, moving up to Division 1 and into Conferrence USA with Division 1AA talent. Then into the Big East with mid-major talent. Always winning at each level. We were just starting to recruit some big time talent (Giddens) and he gets canned. We will never know what could have been, if anything. However, to say he was not a good coach doesn't add up to the facts. To me anyway.

if leavitt was as good as stoops he would be coaching at a traditional powerhouse...

Like Alabama?

yes

instead he is unemployed and volunteering at under armor football camps.

Archived