• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Stoops vs Leavitt

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Ok, and what does this have to do with Cinincatti's 7-5 record in 2006?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,044
  • Days Won:  11

:popcorn  this "smazza vs mizzou" thing should be pretty good

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,708
  • Days Won:  424

IMG_0174.jpg

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

How can I be wrong when I stated Cincinatti had the same record you stated Cincinatti had?  I said 7-5 right there in black and white.

If I'm wrong, so are you.

So there.

Let me see if I can 'splain something to you...

In college football, winning is the lagging indicator of good recruiting.  It usually takes at least 3-4 years for good recruiting to bear fruit (aka winning games).  In a program that is really down, such as Kansas State was in the 1980s, it takes even longer to build up enough depth to win against long established, successful programs.

Obviously Mark Dantonio was very successful in recruiting resulting in a quick turnaround at Cinncinnati so he was hired at Michigan State.  Brian Kelly then came along and was the benefactor of Dantonio's bountiful harvest.

The same concept is demonstrated by the quick rise of USF Football to Division 1-A.  It's hard enough to build a static program, but to go from non-existence to AA football to Mid-Major to D-1A in such a short period of time is an unprecidented challenge that simply hasn't happened before.  Leavitt was continually playing up with lesser talent.  When he finally reached 1-A he was just beginning to reap the havest of D-1 recruiting as demonstarated by the recent NFL Draft.  The next two years would have been the best fall harvest for Leavitt, but now it will be Holtz that will havrvest it.

if winning is the lagging indicator of good recruiting.... what about ron zook ;p

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

How can I be wrong when I stated Cincinatti had the same record you stated Cincinatti had?  I said 7-5 right there in black and white.

If I'm wrong, so are you.

So there.

Let me see if I can 'splain something to you...

In college football, winning is the lagging indicator of good recruiting.  It usually takes at least 3-4 years for good recruiting to bear fruit (aka winning games).  In a program that is really down, such as Kansas State was in the 1980s, it takes even longer to build up enough depth to win against long established, successful programs.

Obviously Mark Dantonio was very successful in recruiting resulting in a quick turnaround at Cinncinnati so he was hired at Michigan State.  Brian Kelly then came along and was the benefactor of Dantonio's bountiful harvest.

The same concept is demonstrated by the quick rise of USF Football to Division 1-A.  It's hard enough to build a static program, but to go from non-existence to AA football to Mid-Major to D-1A in such a short period of time is an unprecidented challenge that simply hasn't happened before.  Leavitt was continually playing up with lesser talent.  When he finally reached 1-A he was just beginning to reap the havest of D-1 recruiting as demonstarated by the recent NFL Draft.  The next two years would have been the best fall harvest for Leavitt, but now it will be Holtz that will havrvest it.

the excuse king himself

leavitt had been in state 12 years and he shoould have known top players and their families.but he wasnt a salesman and his personalty turned people off. he didnt build necessary bridges with high school coaches,players or their families

his lunatic act on the sidelines also turn prospective recruits off

holtz will succeed inspite of leavitt not because of leavtt.leavitt left the cupboard bare.

enough leavitt -he had his chance and he won nothing

holtz will show tampa what a great program should be

OK...How do I dumb this down enough for a Kah-lee-forn-ia lawyer to understand?

If you were a top notch, hot grease high school football recruit in the state of Florida, would you want to play football for a coaching legend in Tallahasee or at the legendary Swamp in Gainesville both with a chance to play in a BCS Bowl and win National Championships as opposed to attending a Mid Major school with no chance for a bowl game or national recognition?

did u refer to USF as a mid major with no chance for a bowl game?

lol ;D

Apparently you don't follow Big 10 Football.  The Fighting Illini haven't exactly been tearing it up under Zook. He's had one decent year then he regressed.  When it comes to recruiting I personally think Zook is a schmuck.  I've heard about too many shady deals he's pulled at Illinois.  One father of a recruit that I know describes him as a really crooked used car dealer of a coach.

Apparently you don't follow Florida football.  According to your logic, Urban Meyer took a team that Ron Zook built and won a National Championship the following year.  Meyer was evidently riding the coattails of the esteemed Ron Zook, if your theory is correct.  ;D

Do you realize how much you've managed to contradict yourself in the span of a couple of hours?

Perhaps you should ask Urban Meyer that question..

Zook was a tireless recruiter who brought a great deal of talent to Florida during his tenure as head coach. Following the Gators' victory over Ohio State in the 2007 BCS National Championship Game, Urban Meyer praised Zook for recruiting the large class of seniors who played the game. Twenty-two of twenty-four starters were Zook's recruits.

Apparently you don't follow Big 10 Football.  The Fighting Illini haven't exactly been tearing it up under Zook. He's had one decent year then he regressed.  When it comes to recruiting I personally think Zook is a schmuck.  I've heard about too many shady deals he's pulled at Illinois.  One father of a recruit that I know describes him as a really crooked used car dealer of a coach.

???

Still waiting for you two reconcile your two statements.

Is Zook a terrible coach, recruiter and person?  Or is he a tremendous coach, recruiter and person that built the dynasty that is Florida?

• Content Count:  7,044
  • Days Won:  11

Still waiting for you two reconcile your two statements.

Is Zook a terrible coach, recruiter and person?  Or is he a tremendous coach, recruiter and person that built the dynasty that is Florida?

urban thinks zook is a good recruiter, mizzou doesn't

who's opinion do you trust?

Archived