• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: Grothe pleased after workout for scouts

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

matt was a good player at USF... easily our best QB of all time

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I think it is hilarious to question Grothe's leadership. Really?

Who else was the leader of the offense? From the time he was a freshman, he led the team and left it all on the field. Kid played in the b-ham bowl for a little while on a broken leg.

Favorite "leadership" moment may have been when he got all over one of the OL at WKU I think for a stupid penalty. Some will say it was arrogant, but that is what a leader does.

...speaking of which, I hate the "he's gotta be a leader" mentality. It's just retarded, why does he have to be a leader? Show up, pour your heart and soul into the program, and no one can question what you do. Lead by example, you don't need to force people to "follow", do what you do, if others don't have enough respect for you (in this case, their QB) to give everything they have as well, then there is no hope for them. Maybe I am a "leader" by nature, I must be, because I have never sat around thinking..."geez, I could do a whole lot better if someone would just get in my face, or give me a pep talk... I really need a "leader"'...give me a break.

Good Luck to Matt, I know he will succeed in life, wherever his road leads him. In the end, I hope that "fans" who put him down do not turn him off of USF. I would love to see him on the sidelines one day with a whistle.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

Never once trashed BJ.

BJ is not the problem. Coaching is the problem. No o line coach or QB coaches.

:ROFLMAO

Chico: "Miami did exactly what we thought they were going to do. I just didn't think that we would get handled that well. They brought some blitzes and we didn't get out of it and get to a check.

This is the troubling part. If we knew what they were going to do and we couldn't do anything about it all game......that is sad.

The quote answered your question.....BJ doesn't read anything just plays backyard ball.....thus doesn't make the checks :o

Have to remember the plays to open it up......

I think BJ is doing all he can with the plays that are being called. I mean how hard is it to do go with the same game plan that we had against WVU when we looked like a top 25 team? We had a primary running back (Plancher 18 carries for 80+ yards), we had some screens and intermediate passes, and then of course we had the bombs. The run and screens set up the play actions for the bombs.

I think that BJ would take offense to someone saying something about the coaching staff because our staff have these kids brainwashed or something into thinking that they're calling all the right plays. The kids look up to them and think they can do no wrong. In the same token when our coaching staff starts to panic and abandon any kind of gameplan and start freaking out it reflects to the players.

I think that BJ could've been VERY successful this year with the right coaches. Unfortunatley we know that our QB's don't make any gains under this coaching staff.

It's hard to get the right calls in when your guy can't remember anything......

lol

I just posted the very same thing in this thread:

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=65252.0

I figured.  But it's true.  BJ has shown that he can win games by himself. 

He has??? when in high school.....and Don't diss Chico if you don't know whats going on......

FSU game????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

8-21 and 2 picks..... if our defense doesn't have turnovers and we lose you would be saying different.....He has played the same in that game as he has in the ones we lost just caught a couple of breaks in the fsu game or mental busts by the fsu defense.......ill stop though cause most have no idea what or why "we havent opened up the Offense"....

lol

I just posted the very same thing in this thread:

http://thebullspen.com/index.php?topic=65252.0

I figured.  But it's true.  BJ has shown that he can win games by himself. 

He has??? when in high school.....and Don't diss Chico if you don't know whats going on......

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,658
  • Days Won:  29

... played in the b-ham bowl for a little while on a broken leg.

First thing I thought of.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

all water under the bridge

best of luck mg

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

wow   thanks for the support and confidence in Matt.  LOL   

Guest Scherdin

My thought is that MG was a big part into turning the program around to what it is becoming.  To come in as RSF and basically take the job from a starting Sr. (I know Julmiste got hurt) and produce the way he did was very impressive.  Did he try and do too much at times, yeah.  But did he also wow the hell out of us, yes! (sound familiar)

I don't know the kid, but I'd bet where ever he lands (NFL, CFL, Areana, coaching, business) he'll be okay.

I think the next player that wants to wear #8 needs to be selected by Holtz as someone who can represent the number the right way.

• Content Count:  3,403

Never once trashed BJ.

Looks like you did quite a lot of that, actually.  I don't question Grothe was a leader, though, completely different topic.

• Content Count:  1,037

If Doug Flutie could make it in the NFL, Matt's got a shot...

Archived