• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Trib: Grothe pleased after workout for scouts

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

Grothe pleased after workout for scouts

By SCOTT CARTER | The Tampa Tribune

39890_0330mattgrothe.jpg

Matt Grothe had perhaps more to prove than any player on the field after injuring his knee during the season.

Matt Grothe, the quarterback and face of the University of South Florida football program for most of the past four seasons, walked toward a group of reporters Tuesday afternoon with sweat rolling down his face and a brace on his left knee.

Grothe had just completed his most grueling physical challenge since his college career ended when he suffered a torn ACL six months ago in the third game of his senior season.

"It felt real good," Grothe said. "It's been a while since I've been worked like that."

Grothe and 15 other former Bulls participated in USF's Pro Day on Tuesday, working out in front of representatives from 26 NFL teams and the Canadian Football League's Hamilton Tiger-Cats.

While most of the focus was on five former South Florida defensive players expected to be drafted - headlined by potential first-round pick Jason Pierre-Paul - Grothe had perhaps more to prove than any player on the field.

When it was over, Grothe left content that he did all he could to improve his standing among professional scouts. Grothe's next major test will come during a workout for the Bucs on April 8.

Grothe isn't considered a top-flight NFL quarterback prospect such as Oklahoma's Sam Bradford of Notre Dame's Jimmy Clausen, but he hopes to continue his football career either in the NFL or the CFL.

To do that, Grothe must prove he is fully recovered from the knee injury that cut short his college career. He took a large step in that direction Tuesday.

"It's good to be done," he said. "This morning when I woke up, I was like, 'I can't wait until this day is over with.' I was anxious. I wanted to get it done with to know where I'm at right now. I feel good where I'm at."

Former Bulls receiver Carlton Mitchell, one of Grothe's favorite targets, was impressed to see No. 8 on the field for the first time in months.

"Matt looked amazing," said Mitchell, who upped his draft stock another notch by running a 4.40-second 40-yard dash Tuesday. "He looked good out there throwing the ball and moving around. It kind of put a smile on my face."

Since finishing at USF, Grothe has spent the past couple of months working with renowned trainer Tom Shaw in Orlando. Grothe's agent, John Phillips, handed out a medical clearance form to anyone who wondered about Grothe's health.

"His mental rehabilitation is just as good as his physical rehabilitation," Phillips said. "The knee never comes up. It's not even an issue."

Grothe posted a time of 4.84 in the 40 on Tuesday, slightly off his 4.70 time in a private workout with the CFL's Hamilton franchise two weeks ago. Still, the time was good enough to place him sixth among the 15 quarterbacks who worked out at the NFL combine last month.

He walked off the field Tuesday in much better spirits than his last game at USF.

"At times, it's been really difficult," he said of the past six months. "At times, it's been a lot of fun, especially going from each step to step, from where I thought I would not be able to even walk again to now being able to run. I've come a long way in a short time."

Link

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,251

I want to watch grothe at some kind of the next level.......who gets paid more CFL players or Arena League?

• Content Count:  90

Cfl qbs can make from 100k-450k a year. Most arena guys make 200-500 dollars a game.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,659
  • Days Won:  29

100% sure Grothe will be playing CFL or NFL this fall.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Wish he showed up in that kind of shape when he was a sophomore. . . . instead of pudgy and holding a deferred conviction agreement with the DA's office.  To be fair, he was ripped for his senior year. . . . .but he was angling for a job then too like he was yesterday.

Yeah, I'll spare the obligatory "why you hating" post. . . . . I was never a huge MG fan.  It was his leadership. . . or lack thereof.  Always felt like he put himself first.

Mosthavenoidea, I am developing a theory on you.  You trashed BJ last season and trashed Leavitt during the Miller fiasco.  Yet your knowledge of the CFL QB pay scale is pretty authoritative. . . . . .

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

what do scouts say?

• Content Count:  1,037

Wish he showed up in that kind of shape when he was a sophomore. . . . instead of pudgy and holding a deferred conviction agreement with the DA's office.  To be fair, he was ripped for his senior year. . . . .but he was angling for a job then too like he was yesterday.

Yeah, I'll spare the obligatory "why you hating" post. . . . . I was never a huge MG fan.  It was his leadership. . . or lack thereof.  Always felt like he put himself first.

Mosthavenoidea, I am developing a theory on you.  You trashed BJ last season and trashed Leavitt during the Miller fiasco.  Yet your knowledge of the CFL QB pay scale is pretty authoritative. . . . . .

you aint got to guess or think you know who I am cause everybody knows who I am.......  how can you say Matt had no leadership and he was all about himself?  I just want you to explain cause I got a feeling you are going to make yourself look like an idiot!!!  come on tell me how he did not lead the team??  and quote me something that even remotely sounds like he is all about himself.

Matts job as a player is to set goals and try to hit them and that is what he is doing now and has always done, or tried to do for you the fan and USF I think he did a pretty good job, but I am sure you know more about this being that John Madden is your brothers friends sisters next door neighbor.  by the way I did not see Mosthavenoidea trashing either one of those could you provide quotes for that also.....or you going to make your self look like ( above reference). Later bro!! 

Archived