• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Giddins expects big things in 2010

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  37,657
  • Days Won:  29

he needs to be quiet ...

Bring back Leavitt ;D

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

I don't want to jinx us, since we haven't had the best of luck with our blue chips. But thinking about the possibility of Giddens, Chandler, McClain, and C. Davis. That would be a pretty scary front four if they play as well as they have been hyped in High School or from the flashes we have seen. Only thing is historically USF has had some great DE but always lacked the run D AGAINST BCS talent run games(when I say BCS I mean teams that compete not a Duke).

I hope you don't expect Chandler to start at DT in his freshman year. I'd plug in Stirrups there for next year.

Also, I wouldn't hand Giddins/Davis the starting DE positions quite yet. I'm sure Bedford and Marshall have something to say about that... Giddins may still be a year away imo, especially if he's still in the low 240's.

• Content Count:  720
  • Days Won:  0

I feel like it's not going to matter who the starters are at DE. We're deep with talent there and they will all be rotated frequently to keep them fresh. See the FSU game.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

I don't want to jinx us, since we haven't had the best of luck with our blue chips. But thinking about the possibility of Giddens, Chandler, McClain, and C. Davis. That would be a pretty scary front four if they play as well as they have been hyped in High School or from the flashes we have seen. Only thing is historically USF has had some great DE but always lacked the run D AGAINST BCS talent run games(when I say BCS I mean teams that compete not a Duke).

I hope you don't expect Chandler to start at DT in his freshman year. I'd plug in Stirrups there for next year.

Also, I wouldn't hand Giddins/Davis the starting DE positions quite yet. I'm sure Bedford and Marshall have something to say about that... Giddins may still be a year away imo, especially if he's still in the low 240's.

Marshall should lock down one of the spots pretty easily IMO.  He should have a big year if he can stay healthy.

• Content Count:  4,016

I feel like it's not going to matter who the starters are at DE. We're deep with talent there and they will all be rotated frequently to keep them fresh. See the FSU game.

Uhhh, reminder the FSU game was under the old coaching staff.  I am not saying the new group will be vastly different but we're now in a situation where the past doesn't always represent the future.  Although I still think you're right because we're so deep and experienced at DE still...Bedford, Marshall have played a lot of ball. 

BTW, on the person saying Chandler won't start...well I doubt he starts but don't be surprised if he plays a ton as a frosh.  He's ready made to be a DT, he's low, explosive, and has perfect technique as a DT.  Expect him to make a difference.

• Content Count:  1,251

Uhhh, reminder the FSU game was under the old coaching staff.  I am not saying the new group will be vastly different but we're now in a situation where the past doesn't always represent the future.  Although I still think you're right because we're so deep and experienced at DE still...Bedford, Marshall have played a lot of ball. 

BTW, on the person saying Chandler won't start...well I doubt he starts but don't be surprised if he plays a ton as a frosh.  He's ready made to be a DT, he's low, explosive, and has perfect technique as a DT.  Expect him to make a difference.

yeh I am expecting Chandler and Terrance Mitchell to play this year....

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

I expect them to get time as well, if for no other reason that we have to be able to point it out to big recruits that they'll play immediately. We're not going to get top tier players unless we offer immediate playing time, we have no chance in hell to redshirt guys like Mitchell, Chandler, or Giddins.

That said, Chandler won't be a force on the DL this year, book it. Mitchell has a much greater chance of starting some games than a freshman DT does.

• Content Count:  4,016

I expect them to get time as well, if for no other reason that we have to be able to point it out to big recruits that they'll play immediately. We're not going to get top tier players unless we offer immediate playing time, we have no chance in hell to redshirt guys like Mitchell, Chandler, or Giddins.

That said, Chandler won't be a force on the DL this year, book it. Mitchell has a much greater chance of starting some games than a freshman DT does.

That's your 'opinion' on Chandler, but I feel he will be a force.  To date our DL players have not lived up to potential...Chandler has played such a perfect technique and his low leverage, amazing quickness off the snap, and drive will get him there.  He's already a far more sound DT then guys like Grissom, McCaskill, and Demi Thompson.  If he's already bigger, and better than them why would he not get snaps with or ahead of them.

• 4 weeks later...

• Content Count:  185

I'm sorry but for someone to say that a true freshman can start at CB but not DT you are crazy. Corner is the hardest position to learn/play in college or NFL. DT is not that easy either but if you possess great speed and strength you can definitely make some noise quicker and easier than at CB.

In MY OPINION I think Chandler coming from his NW roots will do exactly what I expect of him. NW is known for producing top end D-1 talent ready to go their freshman year. If you go to MNW you expect to play year in year out. MNW could beat most colleges if the ages were all equal. Don't get me wrong where I said it would be GREAT IF these players could play up to there hype/potential!, I didn't say they were going to be great, personally I think Marshall is the next great DE to come out of here. But if you think about it Marshall took a very similar path to Claude! Davis has the skills but once he adds the weight that Marshall has he will take over for him. Giddens and Davis will be a GREAT tandem while at USF, maybe not this year but I'm pretty confident next year they will.

As for Chandler, how is that STIRRUPS opinion working out? I too thought he would be the answer but when he came back and didn't do anything special I knew he was a product of his size/scheme/team and wasn't big enough or fast enough to switch positions.Or possibly didn't want it enough.

Personally I think Weartherspoon, Hayes, Chandler, Mitchell, and Joyce are going to be the TRUE/JC Freshman to play right out of the gate and make a difference. Also Gunsby I can see being something great and am glad he will have a couple years to learn off of BJ.

Archived