• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Giddins expects big things in 2010

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

I'm sorry but for someone to say that a true freshman can start at CB but not DT you are crazy. Corner is the hardest position to learn/play in college or NFL. DT is not that easy either but if you possess great speed and strength you can definitely make some noise quicker and easier than at CB.

In MY OPINION I think Chandler coming from his NW roots will do exactly what I expect of him. NW is known for producing top end D-1 talent ready to go their freshman year. If you go to MNW you expect to play year in year out. MNW could beat most colleges if the ages were all equal. Don't get me wrong where I said it would be GREAT IF these players could play up to there hype/potential!, I didn't say they were going to be great, personally I think Marshall is the next great DE to come out of here. But if you think about it Marshall took a very similar path to Claude! Davis has the skills but once he adds the weight that Marshall has he will take over for him. Giddens and Davis will be a GREAT tandem while at USF, maybe not this year but I'm pretty confident next year they will.

As for Chandler, how is that STIRRUPS opinion working out? I too thought he would be the answer but when he came back and didn't do anything special I knew he was a product of his size/scheme/team and wasn't big enough or fast enough to switch positions.Or possibly didn't want it enough.

Personally I think Weartherspoon, Hayes, Chandler, Mitchell, and Joyce are going to be the TRUE/JC Freshman to play right out of the gate and make a difference. Also Gunsby I can see being something great and am glad he will have a couple years to learn off of BJ.

To answer your question on Stirrups...the issues with Leslie are off the field and in his head.  Athletically Stirrups was always off the charts, but possibly the worst decision he made was coming back home.  Some people, despite personal issues, refuse to learn from past experiences.  Sad, because if Leslie truly committed himself, made off-season work-outs last summer like he was suppose to do, learned things, and took it all seriously...things would have been vastly different.

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  14

I feel Mitchell would have a better chance of getting playing time this year then chandler because of the depth we have at corner. Coach Snyder has adressed a problem at this position multiple times throughout the spring. Also a Giddens/Davis tandem is not likely because they both play on the same side of the ball. Bedford will most likely start there this year followed by a battle for the spot next year between Davis and Giddins. Davis is a Juco transfer though so he is considered a JR.  It will be hard for Chandler to work his way in this year and I imagine he might even be red shirted because of the depth at d.t.  and the dline looked strong in the spring game McClain has a lock at his spot and McCaskill will probably compliment him followed by Sager, Grissom, Hill, and Thompson. Chandler might be able to provide a support role but I can't imagine coaches blowing a chance to develop him unless he gets hurt.

• Content Count:  3,403

I don't see any depth at DT.  Mcclain is good, but there is no sure-fire partner in crime next to him.  Grissom was supposedly the guy but it didn't turn out that way last year.  I believe he was battling some injuries, but he's not the #1 right now.  The other guys haven't done much, so we'll see.  I expect Chandler to play, but if he's not clearly better than all but 3 guys then he should redshirt. 

Mitchell seems penciled in to play already.

• Content Count:  29

First off, Giddens had 75 scholorship offers and chose USF. Pete Carrol even went to Armwood to make a personal visit!

Second, the article fails to mention the actaul playing time, which was around a total of 8 min or so (and that's being kind). So in a little over half a quarter he makes 2 sacks and 3 tackles for loss...

Thrid, Giddens has more character than any player I know. He is also the hardest worker both on and off the field you would ever meet. Trust me, he can back up any "talking" - although I thought he showed up quite nicely at the spring game.

• Content Count:  185

Windbane, I agree 100% about our DT depth. I think Mcclain is a starter for sure but Grissom who I think is very talented as well hasn't been consistent enough for me YET! KEY WORD! That is why I think Chandler will get some time b/c he has the size and strength already but can he learn how to play against D-1 talent, which he already has at MNW.

As for my reference to Giddens and Davis starting opposite each other it obviously was for next year but my point was the talent the two of them have and how great they could be. Both of those two have the body to be able to gain 10-25 pounds easy. I think Davis might be the slimmer one but has some height and will weigh a good 255 by his senior year. Giddens, who knows with him. As a true Frosh the kid looked like he could play already which is rare for a D-lineman period b/c of size. Giddens WILL be our first TRUE DE when he excels to his full potential.

To me I have a feeling JPP is gonna be used in a lot of different packages and not so much as a down lineman every time, he is just way to athletic and from his bench reps not strong enough to take on a NFL tackle every down heads-up.

As for Mitchell I think he was the Gem of our class and will be great but we have two very good corners in Q and Kayvon. Then you add our safety/rover players and we have decent depth. I think our coaches were acting like it was a concern on purpose. Why do you think they split up Kayvon and Q to begin with? Then Lejiste on 2nd team as well (WTF) plus Jenkins who has the potential as well as Raymond with their height and aggressiveness. But to me I think Weatherspoon is going to be a lights out player if they use him right. It is VERY RARE to find a kid that can tackle against the run as well as him and cover a zone properly(he is not a corner that you can leave on an island).Plus the kid has a nose for the ball and can blitz well which can cause some problems for teams.

• Content Count:  10,219

no one mentioned Forte, is he still around? is he developing to get into the rotation?

• Content Count:  185

Good point bulls96, My only question is if the new staff will now how to effectively use him. He has the size and speed from what I hear. And I know he played high school B-Ball so I'm guessing he's pretty athletic. I just hope we don't waste any of this talent we have stockpiled, since a lot of these players either play the same position or are similar in body types. And on the D-line we have A LOT of talent!

Archived