• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Giddins expects big things in 2010

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

791311.jpg

The Oracle

Giddins expects big things in 2010

By Phil Neary, SPORTS EDITOR

Published: Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Redshirt freshman defensive end Ryne Giddins is putting pretty lofty expectations on himself for next season.

“I want to get at least a half of sack to two sacks per game,†he said. “If I’m out there for 60 minutes, or if I get at least 20 plays per game, I should be able to get at least two sacks per game. If I can’t, there’s something wrong.â€

Giddins’ coaches would agree there’s nothing wrong with a little confidence. The 6-foot-4, 240-pound defensive end from Armwood High School was one of USF’s highest-rated recruits in program history.

Last year, however, Giddins couldn’t quite show his skills to the fullest because an ankle injury ended his season early after playing in USF’s first three games.

Giddins said even when healthy last season, he was trying to find consistency at the college game.

“I would come out and have a good day one day, and the next day, I’d have a bad day,†Giddins said. “I would go all the way down and start back up. (Each day), I have to maintain the ‘good, good, good’ or ‘getting better, better.â€

In three games last season, Giddins totaled three tackles for loss and two sacks.  This year is expected to be different for Giddins, who will try to help fill the void left by star ends George Selvie and Jason Pierre-Paul. Both are expected to be taken during the NFL draft in April.

“The level’s been established, so they know what the deal is,†said defensive ends coach Vernon Hargreaves, who’s in his first season with USF. “From that standpoint, the pressure they’re going to put on is going to be on themselves more than anything.â€

Giddins said he learned a lot from Selvie and Pierre-Paul, who formed one of the nation’s best pass rushing tandems last season. 

“George taught me to use my speed a lot,†Giddins said. “That’s my big advantage. My arms are not that long.  (But) they’re long enough for a defensive end, and I’m really fast.â€

Giddins, who was rated as the fourth-best defensive end prospect in the nation out of high school by rivals.com, runs a 4.55 40-yard dash, an impressive mark for a defensive end.

Giddins said one of his main goals this spring was to get better with his hands and feet technique coming off the line. 

Last season, injury and adjusting to college took a mental toll on Giddins, who said he couldn’t let the possibility of getting injured affect his game.

“Just pushing through that mental stage ... If I get hurt, I’m not injured,†he said.  “There’s a difference between being hurt and injured.  Getting past that stage is what my goal is.â€

Hargreaves said Giddins has thoroughly impressed him so far this spring.

“Great quickness, good motor, and very athletic,†Hargreaves said. “He’s got a world of talent, and he’s still learning. He’s still a work in progress, and that’s OK. I’ve been fortunate enough to be around many good players, and they all have to start out somewhere. They’re not necessarily the finished product right away. I like the fact he has upside because he’s going to do nothing but keep getting better and better.â€

http://www.usforacle.com/giddins-expects-big-things-in-2010-1.2198233

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

nice piece, thanks Mama

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

expectations are high

he needs to be quiet and perform

• Content Count:  185

I don't want to jinx us, since we haven't had the best of luck with our blue chips. But thinking about the possibility of Giddens, Chandler, McClain, and C. Davis. That would be a pretty scary front four if they play as well as they have been hyped in High School or from the flashes we have seen. Only thing is historically USF has had some great DE but always lacked the run D AGAINST BCS talent run games(when I say BCS I mean teams that compete not a Duke).

If we can't stop the run against big O-lines, then teams will just continue that formula for success. I hope these guys are exciting as the front four we had with Walls, Pierson and Co. That was a great front four to watch, although the competition has stepped up a lot. Personally I think Walls was one of our best run stuffing DT we have had along with Clebert. Something we have lacked the past few years from a consistency standpoint.

• Content Count:  151

DE is the one thing that has been consistent over the past 4 years. They should call us DEndU. Its the most prestigious position on our football team and 4 and 5 star recruits wanna come here and play DE. Lets keep it going this year.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,658
  • Days Won:  29

I am excited about Giddins !

About the entire DL ... and the Front Seven for that matter. Our strength are these 7 guys on D!

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  1,985

I like his optimism, and his stats from his couple games last year show he can do it.  Smazza is right.. ouch that hurt.. but Let's put the talk into the cleats and see the actions.  Nothing will speak louder than if he has to help John Brantley up off the swamp turf 4 -5 times...

Go Bulls.. Beat Gayturds...

• Content Count:  476

The Gators recruited him pretty heavily, so he'll want to prove himself in his decision. Let's see it happen!

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Its not time for talk its time action.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Time for action (oops).

Archived