• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bill Stewart predicts Big East Collapse, WVU moving to ACC or SEC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  12,463
  • Days Won:  25

How much would it cost UConn to travel to Houston and/or Dallas? While I can understand the Big EAST needing to add schools, I don't think Texas is the way to go.

Simply based on the cost of travel. Do you think TCU or Houston fans will travel to BE games?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  509
  • Days Won:  0

How much would it cost UConn to travel to Houston and/or Dallas? While I can understand the Big EAST needing to add schools, I don't think Texas is the way to go.

Simply based on the cost of travel. Do you think TCU or Houston fans will travel to BE games?

I don't think many Houston and TCU fans will travel for BE games, but how many USF  fans travel? I do think you will see a potential bump in home attendance like you saw  with USF for the big games against WVU, Pitt, Cincy,... and because you play in a better conference

I'm not necessarily talking USF travel. I don't think we fit that well into the geography of the BE, so why would they want to spread it out even more?

Kinda like the same discussion between 12 and 14 team conferences, to me it doesn't make economical sense.

• Content Count:  509
  • Days Won:  0

I'm not necessarily talking USF travel. I don't think we fit that well into the geography of the BE, so why would they want to spread it out even more?

Kinda like the same discussion between 12 and 14 team conferences, to me it doesn't make economical sense.

I think the BE would consider expanding with TCU (Dallas market), and Houston because of the tv markets these cities have, and since they are quality programs that are unaffiliated with BCS conferences. The BE doesn't have many other good options besides perhaps Navy, and Temple. Teams like UCF just don't cut it and don't bring you the quality that the BE needs!

Oh, I agree 100% with the thinking of tv markets. I'm only talking about geography and the expense of expanding WEST of the Mississippi for the conference as a whole.

For USF it's not a lot different than traveling to some of the northern cities.

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

The Big East fighting hard to restore it's image. And if they bring team up from c-usa or some other lower conference. The Big East will be doomed.

• Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

I think the domino to watch is Texas. If they jump ship to the B10 (the B10 channel rakes in the green), or the SEC (in an attempt to block the B10), then you will see massive reallignment. In all of the scenarios I have seen, BE football would probably disappear.

• Content Count:  6,828
  • Days Won:  22

The ONLY way Big East football dissapears is if it loses 3 or more teams in the realignment. For that to happen the Big Ten and SEC or ACC would have to go past 12. I dont see that happenning.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

I think this resolves itself much more logically than you all think:

Big Ten takes Notre Dame.

Big East replaces Notre Dame with East Carolina, and gets the ninth football member they've been looking for.

Pac-10 takes Colorado and Utah.

Big 12 replaces Colorado with TCU.

Mountain West replaces Utah and TCU with Boise State and Nevada.

Conference USA replaces East Carolina with... oh hell, it doesn't matter.

The cheese stands alone.

• Content Count:  1,318
  • Days Won:  2

The ONLY way Big East football dissapears is if it loses 3 or more teams in the realignment. For that to happen the Big Ten and SEC or ACC would have to go past 12. I dont see that happenning.

If the Big 10 becomes the Big 16, you better believe the SEC and ACC and Pac 10 will look to do the same to keep pace.

The article below touches on the subject, and links out to a couple other articles talking about the Big 10 to 16, and why it benifits the conference as a whole, not just football. The Big 10 Network is licking its lips at the potential to tap into the Texas market. The money gained by Texas inking its deal with the network far outweighs the travel expenses.

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/campusrivalry/post/2010/02/big-ten-expansion-could-be-more-than-just-an-addition-of-one/1

I also dont know how much truth there is to the following, but I have been told that UT and A&M are a package deal. More or less the legislators in the state fought hard to get them together in the 12, and will do the same to make sure that rivarly sticks wherever the Longhorns go.

Archived