• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bill Stewart predicts Big East Collapse, WVU moving to ACC or SEC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  578
  • Days Won:  0

I'm not worried one bit about USF being in a BCS conference. It seems people around the nation are only focused on one thing in CFB and that's expansion. Lest we forget the rumblings from Congress about the fairness of the BCS.  It just seems truly unfathomable that during a period in which the BCS is under serious scrutiny for not allowing more teams into the party, that the BCS would find a way to shove more teams to the outside. If the Big East dissolves, then the leftovers will start a new conference or be absorbed into these other conferences which would sit at 14-16 teams. If the conferences don't expand to those numbers, then there are too many good teams left on the outside that they would just start a new conference.

Fun fact: Only 46 teams out of 120 average over 50k in attendance, and we are one of those 46. Factor in market size, location, etc. and in my opinion there is no use speculating. Just let the chips fall as they may and just do what we can, support the program.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,829
  • Days Won:  1

Just talking to people here Gainesville and Tally I get the feeling we would be an ACC pick way before the other teams mentioned. SEC will never go past the Mississippi to pick up T and T and AM or any Texas team too far west! That said SEC would not take USF either. So I am going With ACC.

• Content Count:  1,387

I'm not worried about USF being left behind when any expansions begin to occur!

• Content Count:  509

Sitting back and letting the chips fall where it may is not an option.

Assuming that the SEC, ACC, and Big Ten all expand to 14 members this could be a scenario:

Big Ten adds Notre Dame, Syracuse, and Rutgers

The SEC adds West Virginia, and Louisville

The ACC adds UConn and Pitt

Cincy and USF are probably screwed and rejoin Conference USA.

I'm not saying that the above is the most likely scenario but if we are not pro active this could happen.

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

who cares? i've been stuck on this expansion talk for so long now, but i fail to believe any of this 14 team ******** will ever happen. i'm serious, it will ruin the sport.

so long as USF can remain in the BCS or whatever top tier they call it, they can be independent for all I care. Then we can schedule more aggressively since we won't have to win a conference. We can get some good BCS teams for OOC games and make bowls on our own case. :P Then eventually someone would want us.

• Content Count:  4,210
  • Days Won:  8

I don't believe USF will be left out.  Too attractive a market.  Top 46 in attendance as someone pointed out.  However, USF MUST, absolutely MUST continue to win big non conf games to maintain a high profile when the shakeup happens.  A win over FL or Miami would be a big start.  Beat both, and we're in the ACC when this goes down.  Remember it's no conincidence that USF was coming off a 9-2 season in 02 when getting selected for BE in 2003.

• Content Count:  578

Assuming that the SEC, ACC, and Big Ten all expand to 14 members this could be a scenario:

I'm not saying that the above is the most likely scenario but if we are not pro active this could happen.

Since neither the Big East or USF are in position of power, nor do either know exactly what is happening in other conferences, you pretty much just have to sit here and "let the chips fall where they may." Seriously, what else is there? What good does all this baseless speculation do? You just made up an entire shift of conferences on your own with a doom scenario, for no good. It accomplished nothing.

If you're trying to insinuate that as a program USF can't sit back and let conferences expand without us, then what should we do? Make phone calls to the ACC or SEC begging them to let us in? I just don't believe that does any good. Let's use that scenario as an example with possible Big East expansion candidates -- Memphis, UCF, and Southern Miss. Do you truly believe that if the Big East had to pick one of these teams, that they'd go with Southern Miss just because they called them a bunch and begged them? Nope, they're going to expand based on who is available and who best meets their criteria. If a conference thinks what we bring to the table is valuable, they'll add us. If not, they won't.

• Content Count:  1,829

I don't believe USF will be left out.  Too attractive a market.  Top 46 in attendance as someone pointed out.  However, USF MUST, absolutely MUST continue to win big non conf games to maintain a high profile when the shakeup happens.  A win over FL or Miami would be a big start.  Beat both, and we're in the ACC when this goes down.  Remember it's no conincidence that USF was coming off a 9-2 season in 02 when getting selected for BE in 2003.

+1 ACC

• Content Count:  509

Since neither the Big East or USF are in position of power, nor do either know exactly what is happening in other conferences, you pretty much just have to sit here and "let the chips fall where they may." Seriously, what else is there? What good does all this baseless speculation do? You just made up an entire shift of conferences on your own with a doom scenario, for no good. It accomplished nothing.

If you're trying to insinuate that as a program USF can't sit back and let conferences expand without us, then what should we do? Make phone calls to the ACC or SEC begging them to let us in? I just don't believe that does any good. Let's use that scenario as an example with possible Big East expansion candidates -- Memphis, UCF, and Southern Miss. Do you truly believe that if the Big East had to pick one of these teams, that they'd go with Southern Miss just because they called them a bunch and begged them? Nope, they're going to expand based on who is available and who best meets their criteria. If a conference thinks what we bring to the table is valuable, they'll add us. If not, they won't.

I didn't make up anything; those are the programs that are being named as possible additions to said conferences. USF and the BE are not powerless. Coaches Holtz and Heath, the Sun Dome renovations, an expanding fanbase, success on the field,... all put USF in a better position!

• Content Count:  12,293

i could careless what conf we ended up in.  i would actually prefer to get out of the big east (those road trips SUCK)

if conferences did go under this kind of remodeling then the bcs would be destoryed.

obviously the only reason any usf fan would be upset about changing in the big east is because of the bcs.

well if the bcs doesnt exsist then it doesnt matter what conf we are in.

obviously with our market and our team...we would be in some sort of good position to not go backwards.

Archived