• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bill Stewart predicts Big East Collapse, WVU moving to ACC or SEC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  307
  • Days Won:  0

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigeast/post/_/id/8439/stewart-west-virginia-could-end-up-in-new-league

WVU Football Coach Bill Stewart publically stated his belief that the Big 10, ACC, and SEC are all going to expand in the coming years, creating the 'Super Conference's' that many have talked about recently.  I'm sure the Big 12/Pac-10 would follow suit...

If his predicition were to come through, I see a rough road for USF trying to get into one of the new conferences.  I think we'd be left as the flag bearer (with probably UConn and Cinn) for the 'Old Big East' which would have to expand using CUSA/MAC/Army+Navy teams to keep any relevancy....but probably lose the BCS bid...

I'm going to assume expansion to 14 teams by the Big 10, ACC, and SEC.

Big 10 - Rutgirls seems like the sure fit here if it's only one team...but if the move to the 14 team super conference is made, say good bye to Syracuse, Pitt, and RU.  The only saving grace to this whole thing would be if Notre Dame went to the Big 10....that would probably prevent the whole super conference idea from taking form.

SEC - No shot in hell for USF.  I could see the SEC maybe making a play for FSU or UNC, with an outside shot at Louisville and WVU.  But more realistically might be to go after Texas and Texas A&M thus breaking up the Big 12. Or Texas and Oklahoma/Nebraska... 

ACC - I'm sure FSU and Miami would fight any USF or ucif inclusion if the ACC expanded.  The conference would go after WVU and Louisville first, and I think likely get them.  Assuming they avoid losing a team to the SEC, that gives them 14 teams.

Pac-10 - They're going to pick up Boise State, BYU, and two others, perhaps Fresno St. and Nevada.  No big deal, wont affect us in anyway.

So, as written each of the above conferences now has 14 teams.  This leaves the Big 12 with 10 assuming that the SEC went after Texas A&M and Texas (Which really do fit geographically). 

Big 12 - This might be USF's best and only option...  The Big 12 will likely need to replace a few teams and having a Florida tie might appeal to them.  Not to mention, there aren't many other choices in the central plains who would bring instant credibility.  I'm sure the first team they would try and pick up is TCU.  After that, the remaining Big East/CUSA seem most likely....  Could USF, Cinn, Houston, SMU, ucif, etc make a run?  I sure hope so...  If they went with the geographically fitting TCU, Houston, and SMU...that only leaves room for 1 more spot...

Big East - If USF doesn't get a Big-12 or ACC spot, then this is how I see the Big East playing out...

1) The basketball schools are going to stay together and keep the Big East name.

2) USF/Cinn/UConn remain.

3) Southern Miss/ucif/ECU/Memphis are the logical first invites out of necessity.

4) A HUGE push is made for Georgetown and Villanova football teams to move up to 1-A.

5) An even bigger push is made for Navy and Army.  We must have them, bar none.

6) One more team is needed to just get to 12.  Remaining options may include Houston, UAB, East/Central/West Michigan, Marshall, Tulane, Tulsa...

Thoughts?  I sure hope none of this happens.  But it sure seems likely.  The only way to prevent a huge expansion in my mind is for the Big East to kick out Notre Dame, have them join the Big 10 in ALL sports, thus preventing the major expansion...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

Here is what USF has on its side - decent fan support in a politically powerful area.  If USF where to find itself suddenly on the outside looking in it would only add the calls for federal intervention into the BCS system. 

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

dont care what happens so long as we remain BCS

• Content Count:  1,240

First off, the pac 10 will NEVER take boise or byu, they are completely out of the question. Their targets are Colorado and Utah. If they needed 2 more they'd try and get someone else from the big 12, like one of the texas schools. They may end up considering BYU if the texas schools shut them down, but they are way down on the list. And Boise has 0 chance of being in the pac 10 ever.

That said i think we are relatively safe, think about it this way, right now there are 66 BCS schools, if we move to 5 14 team conferences, there will be 70 BCS schools. Assuming you keep the 66 current ones there is room for 4 more. Runaway favorites being TCU, BYU, Utah, and Notre Dame. If ND declines I have no idea who would be next in line, because Boise is not a bcs program. Seriously try and imagine USC doing a roadie to the blue field every other year, no chance. Not to mention everything outside of their football is garbage.

Honestly I'd say Nevada and Fresno have a better shot than BSU.

• Content Count:  509

Big East basketball is huge and brings in a lot of $$. Teams who think about moving to ACC, SEC, or Big 10 better think twice.

But indeed USF could be the odd man out since UF,FSU, UM will probably successfully block USF inclusion into the SEC and the ACC. It is understandable why they would and we should do the same regarding UCF, FIU, and FAU.

No way that USF lands in the Big 12.

WVU, PITT, Syracuse, Louisville, UConn,Rutgers, and Cincy could all find a home in  somewhat stronger football conferences but would lose out on BE basketball.

• Content Count:  4,738

Tampa is. Big media market in a key recruiting area. We will not get left when the ship sails.

• Content Count:  509

Tampa is. Big media market in a key recruiting area. We will not get left when the ship sails.

So where do you envision us ending up if the BE ceases to exist?

• Content Count:  1,240

So where do you envision us ending up if the BE ceases to exist?

Honestly we are probably a best fit with WVU going to the SEC, but thats not going to happen, the SEC will take their teams from the ACC.

I could see a scenario where the SEC takes FSU and Miami allows us into the ACC.

If not were screwed, unless the Big 12 decides they want a florida presence. We have 0 shot at the big 10 and pac 10 obviously.

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

I have a strong feeling that the Bulls will end up in the ACC.

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Top-secret, high-ranking sources tell me USF is considering going big time and jumping to the NFL.

Archived