• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Max Lang thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

according to scout he almost committed this weekend to USF.  He still wants to go to tech mid july.  It looks like we can lock him up though.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

according to scout he almost committed this weekend to USF.  He still wants to go to tech mid july.  It looks like we can lock him up though.

Now that he looks like a USF lock, Scout keep dropping him on their rankings. Less than a month ago, he was a 4-star #23 OT and now he's 3-star #31 OT. If he waits too long he'll be down to two stars.  >:(

http://southflorida.scout.com/a.z?s=359&p=8&c=1&nid=4340490

• Content Count:  89

Yea Mama, I've also noticed on numerous occasions that after a recruit commits to us he slowly drops down the rankings..  maybe just coincidental?

• Content Count:  89

Just wanted to add, That's why I pay more attention to which schools have offered the recruit versus paying attention to the stars. 

A 3 star recruited by 1 BCS school and a bunch of FBS schools can be quite a difference between another offered by a dozen BCS schools. 

Just wanted to add, That's why I pay more attention to which schools have offered the recruit versus paying attention to the stars. 

A 3 star recruited by 1 BCS school and a bunch of FBS schools can be quite a difference between another offered by a dozen BCS schools. 

Yep, I pay more attention to who has offered than I do to the rankings, but it just is annoying when they do that to one of "our" players for no apparent reason. I'm sure they can try to justify doing it, but I think it has more to with moving up other players to make fans happy from schools with more members. The bottom line is that I hope he signs with USF reghardless of how many stars he is given.

• Content Count:  4,016

Max Lang is really a high three star guy.  The bigger point is FL is chalk full of OT prospects, and therefore the comparisons are a bit more highly scrutinized in years past.  Max's technique, footwork are excellent, athleticism is good too...his strength and explosion needs work compared to others.  He really is ahead of his years as a pass blocker already, but to be a good run blocker he needs to get bigger, stronger, and work on his explosion getting more physical at the POA.  That stuff is more coachable then the later so he'll be great.

Max would be a fantastic OT for USF, and the offer list proves that despite the elite strength and physicality for now...the other pieces- technique, size, footwork, and athleticism are excellent.

• Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Ranking services, wanking services. Scout and Rivals are pathetic pandering slime balls who give rankings according to the number of subscriptions they get from the offering school. This practice isn't even moderately disguised. It is out in the open for all to view. Throw away the stars, they mean nothing. Throw away the rankings for recruiting classes, they mean nothing. What I find really amazing, is that they will actually change a ranking after a player gets offered and commits. What has changed? His speed? His tackling ability. No, just who likes him in the draft. Then you have rankings for players they haven't even looked at..... How can you give a ranking to a player who you haven't evaluated, even cursorily. What a sham, and the fact that people pay to be privy to what they think. You can fool some of the people.....

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

He would be a good pick up. I don't go by recruiting sites. I go by offers.

• Content Count:  4,016

Ranking services, wanking services. Scout and Rivals are pathetic pandering slime balls who give rankings according to the number of subscriptions they get from the offering school. This practice isn't even moderately disguised. It is out in the open for all to view. Throw away the stars, they mean nothing. Throw away the rankings for recruiting classes, they mean nothing. What I find really amazing, is that they will actually change a ranking after a player gets offered and commits. What has changed? His speed? His tackling ability. No, just who likes him in the draft. Then you have rankings for players they haven't even looked at..... How can you give a ranking to a player who you haven't evaluated, even cursorily. What a sham, and the fact that people pay to be privy to what they think. You can fool some of the people.....

While I generally agree there is some selectiveness that goes on based on school's interest compared to others to completely discount the stars is foolish too.  The stars do mean something, all 6-6 275lbs kids are not equal....to sugges such a thing is foolish.  Use it as a tool, an you'll be fine.  Max is not a four star, not if you're going to legitimately compare him to his peers in FL.  He stands among the elite in FL, but there are a lot of elite tackles in FL this year, and I'd say he's in the top 5-6, but maybe just outside because he plays a bit more finesse then physically dominating.  That's been the crack by all scouts thus far, and if you see him play or the videos that's not unheard of.  Although Max is 6-6 275lbs, and once he adds 30lbs, gets into a college S&C program and gets much stronger...the physicality will come and he will dominate because he has pretty good athleticism to go with great technique.

Max is not a four star OT, not if you put him up against Tyler Moore, Mitoulis, and Hart who are far more physical... and dominating at the point of attack.  Some will argue that DeBell and Prestwood should be ranked above him, although I won't buy it until I see them compete there, DeBell was a 230lbs OT last season, who at times looked like a better DE in HS, let me see him play with the extra weight, and Prestwood played mostly TE. For now Max is ranked fine, and it has nothing to do with who his offers are from, he has offers from Miami, Texas Tech, FSU, RU, USC, UL, and Ole Piss.  I'd say that pretty well covers quite a subscription base across both networks.

• 1 month later...

Saw this just now in the comments section of Greg's blog:

cfer wrote:

Boone High School OL Max Lang has verbally committed to the Bulls...huge get, absolutely huge! He's considered a high 3-star now, but should be rated 4-stars by the time the high school season ends. Congrats coach Shank…now all they have to do is see that he signs on the dotted line next February.

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/uh-oh-bulls-fans-sweatshirts-tout-south-flordia

Archived