• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Max Lang thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  104
  • Days Won:  0

Looks like it may be a USF vs FSU battle for this kid. Hopefully we make a good impression on him when he visits. Its good that he has USF high on his list and he hasn't visited yet. He has visited FSU so hopefully that is the only reason he has them ranked slightly higher right now.

"Right now I'm feelin' FSU ... or USF," Lang said on Thursday. "I went up (to FSU) for junior day and it was amazing and I'm leaning toward there right now.

"But then USF called, and I'm starting to think I don't know what to do, so I'm going to visit over there March 6. They said I will be able to talk to Coach (Skip) Holtz when I get there, and I'm looking forward to that."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/recruiting/os-recruiting-max-lang-starting-to-pull-in-offers,0,4242771.story

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,879

I just hope his Dad drove to Tally and will drive to Tampa so he can compare them. 

• Content Count:  1,240

According to rivals his 40 time is 5.94

I hope thats a typo or that he was running up a hill, because while im down for a pocket passer, that 40 time is bad for an offensive lineman, you need to have some sort of athleticism

• Content Count:  4,016

I hope thats a typo or that he was running up a hill, because while im down for a pocket passer, that 40 time is bad for an offensive lineman, you need to have some sort of athleticism

Based on what?  Go check the the NFL Combine, most of the elite OL run in the mid 5.0's...that's fine for a junior in HS that hasn't gotten any elite S&C...he'll be fine, I always chuckle when someone get's 'nervous' about the forty time of a player that will never once be required to run 40 yards in a dead sprint on the football field.  I worry about Max's 10 yard spint, his cone drills, his quickness, hand size, and body structure more than whether he can cover 40 yards in 5.10, or 5.90.

• Content Count:  1,797

Scout is reporting that Texas just offered this guy.  I guess Mack Brown is not too concerned about his 40 time.  :D

Normal

wow Texas, I know he has FSU obviously, Purdue, and quite a few others. 

The thing is there was a point he highly favored USF about two months ago.  The lag between the old staff and new staff has given other schools time to worm their way in...time to shut the door on this one.  FSU already has Pettis from Deland committed, can't they give us one.

• Content Count:  1,240

Based on what?  Go check the the NFL Combine, most of the elite OL run in the mid 5.0's...that's fine for a junior in HS that hasn't gotten any elite S&C...he'll be fine, I always chuckle when someone get's 'nervous' about the forty time of a player that will never once be required to run 40 yards in a dead sprint on the football field.  I worry about Max's 10 yard spint, his cone drills, his quickness, hand size, and body structure more than whether he can cover 40 yards in 5.10, or 5.90.

just saying, i could run better than a 5.94

im not sweating it and id love to get him here, id prefer pocket passers over runners anyway... but running nearly 6 seconds in the 40 is really bad, regaurdless of position

• Content Count:  1,633

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Peyton or Brees aren't exactly lightin' up the rug in the 40.....

just saying, i could run better than a 5.94

im not sweating it and id love to get him here, id prefer pocket passers over runners anyway... but running nearly 6 seconds in the 40 is really bad, regaurdless of position

But are you 6-5 280lbs and are you effectively conditioned to block hard core pass rushers for 60 minutes?  I bet not.

BTW, you are fooling yourself if you think a 5.94 'electronically timed' forty is bad for a 6-5 285lbs 16 year-old.  I coached kids for a while and I get so tired of reading people that try to extrapolate more out of that stuff then is there.  The forty for an OL is an absolutely useless measurement...ask any single evaluator....providing the kid isn't a sloth, and most coaches can figure that out quickly, and Max is not...they don't care. 

Remember another thing, forty times are very relative, and subjective things.  What would you say if you knew that James Wilder Jr., who's widely considered the #1 recruit in America out of Plant HS....he went to the Under Armour and ran a 4.77, and James is 6-2 215lbs....anyone that works with James, plays with him, coaches him, have all said he's run countless forties in the 4.5, and 4.4 range.  But remember the UA forty was run on a very wet field, with strong winds, and on grass.

Those kind of things change to dynamic of the time.  I don't care what James' forty time was, he's still a kid that will run away from about 90% of the kids in FL, and is a freakish athlete at his size.  The moral, when it comes to forty times rarely should you always judge the book by its cover.

Archived