• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gus Traveling to ND

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Per Greg's blog:  http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2010/02/gilchrist-will-travel-with-usf-to-notre-dame.html

February 05, 2010

Gilchrist will travel with USF to Notre Dame

USF forward Gus Gilchrist, sidelined since December with a severely sprained ankle, will travel with the Bulls this weekend and could make his return in Sunday's game at Notre Dame.

"He looked pretty good. He did all right," coach Stan Heath said of Friday's practice, noting that Gilchrist was able to participate in some full-contact parts of team drills.

Heath said Saturday will be a key day to evaluate Gilchrist's soreness and swelling, but he expects the sophomore to be available to play against Notre Dame, and close to full strength by next week's Feb. 13 game at Marquette.

Gilchrist was USF's leading scorer when he was injured in December, though the Bulls have played well without him, going 5-5 in Big East play. USF has won four games in a row, including upset wins against No. 17 Pittsburgh and Wednesday's 72-64 win at No. 7 Georgetown.

• Content Count:  4,139
  • Days Won:  1

"He looked pretty good. He did all right," coach Stan Heath said.

I'm sorry, but "pretty good" and "alright" better be code for playing his conition down, ND aint gonna be easy no matter what we did to g-town...

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I hope he is at least 90%.  Famous can't guard Harangody and Fitz showed his age last time.  At least with Gus Luke would be FORCED to play D.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Anyone else think the offensive point production is going to cool off these first few games when we try to get Gus involved again.  I do.

However, if we bring him back in the fold and still pull down a NCAA tourney invite. . . . . I could see us making it to the second week.

• Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Anyone else think the offensive point production is going to cool off these first few games when we try to get Gus involved again.  I do.

However, if we bring him back in the fold and still pull down a NCAA tourney invite. . . . . I could see us making it to the second week.

There will definitely be a transition period.  I think you're right that the offense will cool down...but I hope with Gus back the defense bump up a notch to compensate.  It will be interesting to see how DoJo does with Gus back (and if we're a better or worse team for it).

• Content Count:  1,037
  • Days Won:  0

He shouldn't play more than 10 minutes. He needs to be slowly introduced back into the lineup. We have a good thing right now. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

• Content Count:  3,407
  • Days Won:  1

I think you use Gus for 5-6 minutes at a time, no more, no less.  So my best guess is 15-18 minutes.

• Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

I think you use Gus for 5-6 minutes at a time, no more, no less.  So my best guess is 15-18 minutes.

I agree . he will have his ankle wrapped up. so let him get back into game mode with 5 to  mins at a time depending on how he feels. 

Archived