• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UC FAN HERE: Thoughts on Jim

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  63
  • Days Won:  0

Im just saying USF is argueably the most attractive Big East job and I dont know why USF is afriad to leave jim.

Oh and we will see about beating UC without Kelly haha. We return A LOT.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

Im just saying USF is argueably the most attractive Big East job and I dont know why USF is afriad to leave jim.

Oh and we will see about beating UC without Kelly haha. We return A LOT.

$$$$ would be the reason.  Now if Leavitt did hit a player, this may be the out for USF if it did have doubts on where Leavitt could take this program, as Im sure hitting a player could be grounds for dismissal and breach of contract allowing them not to pay the buyout. 

Outside of that though, USF's athletic program doesn't have the money to buyout Leavitt and hire anything resembling a decent staff to replace him.  Maybe a young and untested headcoach, but he'd have to fill his staff with bare bones coaches making near nothing. 

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

This is about doing the right thing.  The right thing isn't about what's convenient, or what public sentiment is.  The right thing to do is rarely the easy thing. 

The right thing in this case is to do a proper investigation and find out as many facts as possible.  Then act appropriately given those facts.  The absolute wrong thing to do is make a knee jerk reaction to a couple of negative articles that are based on heresay that would never hold up in court.  People make up stuff/exagerrate/misinterpret all the time. 

If Leavitt choked and/or struck a player, he should be fired.  If he grabbed a player by the jersey, he shouldn't.  Pretty simple.  The time consuming part is understanding the truth beyond a reasonable doubt.

• Content Count:  63

This is about doing the right thing.  The right thing isn't about what's convenient, or what public sentiment is.  The right thing to do is rarely the easy thing. 

The right thing in this case is to do a proper investigation and find out as many facts as possible.  Then act appropriately given those facts.  The absolute wrong thing to do is make a knee jerk reaction to a couple of negative articles that are based on heresay that would never hold up in court.  People make up stuff/exagerrate/misinterpret all the time. 

If Leavitt choked and/or struck a player, he should be fired.  If he grabbed a player by the jersey, he shouldn't.  Pretty simple.  The time consuming part is understanding the truth beyond a reasonable doubt.

That is fair.

And for the money issue I can buy that too. I didnt realize that USF was that financially crippled. I still dont buy it totallly because UC has had the lowest revenue in the Big East for years.

I dont know what your paying Jim but it isnt what he deserves.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

That is fair.

And for the money issue I can buy that too. I didnt realize that USF was that financially crippled. I still dont buy it totallly because UC has had the lowest revenue in the Big East for years.

I wouldn't say USF is financially crippled.  I would say that for a large university USF has not yet cultivated a base of big money donors like the Notre Dame's of the world.  USF has been careful not to spend money beyond it's means unlike some other schools (*cough* *cough* UCF).  But there isn't an endless supply, either. 

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

That is fair.

the money thing is a myth on here. we can't afford the buyout but we pay our coaches just fine in comparison to the rest of our conference. according to usa today:

football coaches salaries (head + assistants)

Rutgers $3,764,000

WVU $3,025,000

USF $ 2,916,000

Cincy $2,731,000

UConn $2,689,000

UofL $2,677,000

these don't include bonuses like $100k for making the international bowl. these are salaries reported this year. Syracuse is private so they don't release theirs and Pitt didn't list it's assistants but the stache makes $978,000 which is $622k less than Leavitt.

our problem is that our head coach takes a greater share of the coaching budget by taking the second highest salary as a head coach in the BE.

People complain we don't pay assistants enough and I agree but it's because Leavitt takes all he can and hires on the cheap.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

That is fair.

I wouldn't say USF is financially crippled.  I would say that for a large university USF has not yet cultivated a base of big money donors like the Notre Dame's of the world.  USF has been careful not to spend money beyond it's means unlike some other schools (*cough* *cough* UCF).   But there isn't an endless supply, either. 

This.

In addition, without an on campus stadium, though our attendance is pretty good, our football expenses are also quite high. USF does not get a lot of the concessions, parking, and other miscellaneous money from football. We're also in the midst of a major facilities over-haul on campus that will be limiting the budget of the athletic department.

As far as CJL hitting a wall, I am not sure I buy it. It's possible, but I still think CJL is the right guy for this job. While we are in a great location, we're also recruiting against UF, FSU, and UM. I am sure Cincy has a lot of competition outside of OSU for local talent, but there are 3 heavy hitters in our back yard, and pretty much every school east of the rockies tries to load up on Florida talent. Yes, there are plenty of left-overs, but only in the last couple of years have we really started competing with the "big boys" for the top-tier Florida talent. Believe me, without Leavitt, the advances we have made will be gone. There are 35-40 schools just itching to get "in" with the highschools in the area.

• Content Count:  5,241

USF does operate in the red. Ive heard this from friends who have worked for sun dome and ticket office.

• Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

Not sure why USF would keep him around. Not trying to flame, but you guys have a very attractive job and are on the cusp of big things. Why continue to spin your tires with this guy? How far can getting you ranked #2 in the rankings like 5 years ago take you?

I think you guys should drop the dead weight and move on. USF could be big big time but not unless they move forward.

Just my .02

Pike, you have only seen him in his recent body of work in a conference and type of game he is consistently outcoached.  Most here are used to us winning early in his career and blind to the fact he has peaked and though he has yet to win ANYTHING, his best is behind him.  A lot of our fans are just happy we field a team instead of wanting to improve. 

I dont care what you say, USF is an easy win for you guys.  your coach knows our offense because even the least knowledgeable football fan knows our offense.  Not hard to defend.  We envy you and your conference titles and know we will never be there as long as the "dead weight" is around.

Thanks for the outside perspective.  but most usf fans are enablers and didnt pay attention to anything you wrote once you typed in you dont think he is that good of a coach.  btw Duh!

• Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

We got to #2 TWO years ago, kthnx.

Archived