• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can a public university sue a media outlet for slander?

Guest BasketBull.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3
  • Days Won:  0

I never even heard of this AOL FanHouse before hearing it referenced as being Brett's new cove to launch his assaults on everything USF.

I thought AOL was about out of business, they don't send me 100 CDs per week in the mail anymore :( Made great target practice.

Approximately 160 million unique people a month visit AOL properties. FanHouse is one of their bigger sites if I'm not mistaken (gets distributed on cnnsi and a few other notable sports outlets)

Engadget, TMZ, AutoBlog, Joystiq, Moviefone, Mapquest, FanHouse, etc. etc. etc.

They just spun out of timewarner and are a separately traded company again, with the aim of being the Time Inc. of the internet. They're basically hiring all the journalists as they get laid off from traditional media.

This brett guy, but also David Whitely from the sentinel, both work for FanHouse (Whitely was the guy with the picture of him riding the usf bull in all ucf gear)

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  693

Any media source that employs Jay Mariotti and McMurphy is not an outlet I'll tend to trust/go to for my news.

As far as suing FanHouse/Aol, uh.. no. Like him or not he's just doing his job. He has sources (even if its just the father) who spoke with him on record about the situation. He's just reporting on it.

You could sue him for defamation of character or something of the sort. You would have to prove that he knowingly and intentionally wrote false stories and fabricated his sources. For this you would have to get a court order to make his sources come forward with their information. Sadly this would cost much for to prosecute than you would probably receive from damages, so it would be a waste of time.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Joel Miller's father has said his quote was completely misrepresented.  In fact, his father says McMurphy took his answer and applied it to a different question.  That's getting pretty close to slander, I think.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

for a relatively large city, tampa thinks so small town. 

McMurphy is doing his job and maybe he does have an axe to grind but his sources said what they said, even before the all so sudden retraction from Daddy. 

when i first read this story i was not surprised at all, but will wait for the facts instead of listening to a bunch of guys who would defend Jeffrey Dahmer if he was affiliated with USF. 

lol

Granted, that is hilarious.  Exagerated at the least and perhaps completely fabricated, but hilarious.  Sure you don't write for Fanhouse?

• Content Count:  185

If McMurphy/Fanhouse/AOL is wrong, and lied. Then they definitely could be sued. The only thing that would not be a certain is how much money they could get from it. Since AOL would probably drop Mcmurphy saying they had no clue he was doing that. Which would lessen the stance against them and Mcmurphy doesn't have that much money to go after. Now, with a good lawyer who knows. Also, a USF grad Judge and prosecutor would be ideal! I hope they do, if it is all false. I'm so tired of these kids getting attacked at the reporters expense. Especially this day and age where everyone and there mother has a website and can report all the BS they want. But good thing for USF is this is a credible site as far as who owns them.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,493
  • Days Won:  13

If McMurphy/Fanhouse/AOL is wrong, and lied. Then they definitely could be sued. The only thing that would not be a certain is how much money they could get from it. Since AOL would probably drop Mcmurphy saying they had no clue he was doing that. Which would lessen the stance against them and Mcmurphy doesn't have that much money to go after. Now, with a good lawyer who knows. Also, a USF grad Judge and prosecutor would be ideal! I hope they do, if it is all false. I'm so tired of these kids getting attacked at the reporters expense. Especially this day and age where everyone and there mother has a website and can report all the BS they want. But good thing for USF is this is a credible site as far as who owns them.

There is no prosecutor in a civil trail. I also doubt that McMurphy made the whole thing up.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

dont see how usf was slandered

leavitt is a public figure so his case would be difficult at best

if story is accurate no case and leavitt and all those who shielded him ARE done

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Joel Miller's father has said his quote was completely misrepresented.  In fact, his father says McMurphy took his answer and applied it to a different question.  That's getting pretty close to slander, I think.

is his son  now on scholarship

if so they were bought off

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

There is no prosecutor in a civil trail. I also doubt that McMurphy made the whole thing up.

Well, Mr Miller has said that McMuprhy asked him a hypothetical question and then applied the hypothetical answer to the actual situation.  The actual situation was described as Leavitt Grabbing and shaking the kid's shoulder pads.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

a bunch of guys who would defend Jeffrey Dahmer if he was affiliated with USF. 

And there are a bunch who would attack Mother Teresa if she were affiliated with USF.

Archived