• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NCAA tournament changes

What should be done to the NCAA tournament?  

39 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

There's been a lot of talk this week about expanding the NCAA tournament. What do you think should be done to the tournament and why? Also, what then should be done with the NIT?

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Expanding it would be ridiculous.  Making it 65 was a mistake.  In all honesty, what is the likelihood that teams 66-96 are even going to make it out of the first round?

• Content Count:  236
  • Days Won:  0

i voted to leave it the same

this is exactly why people argue against a NCAA CFB DIV I -A football playoff. 

because as soon as its made, lets say with 8 teams, the 9th will be the one left out...so they expand to 16, then 17 is left out, etc etc etc

/still wants a playoff for I-A

• Content Count:  12,293

its a shame that some teams that get put into the NIT could realistically make the elite 8 in the NCAA.  but there are atleast 20 teams that would lose in the 1st round of the Nit but make it the NCAA.  however, it gives those teams something to play for.  and that is the whole point.....give the kids something to play for and something to win.

if you are a program that gets pissed because you are on the bubble and have a RPI of 41 yet arent in the tourney of 64...well guess what...maybe you should of won your conf tourney.  but you LOST so deal with it. 

64..or 65 is plenty.  however, i do think that it would be more interesting if you did away with the 1 vs 16 and gave all #1 seeds a bye then maybe added 4 more at large teams. but going to 96 or 128 would be a HUGE mistake.

i guess we will find out how much pull the gamblers really have over the NCAA.  obviously that has been a rumor for years as to why the bowl games have stayed the same.  too much money involved..and not the tv money...

• Content Count:  12,293

by the way...i am against a football playoff.....

but would be ok with the 68 teams....and agree there would then be a huge battle over who is 68 and who is 69. 

you will never please everyone when you draw a line.

Guest Scherdin

If it ain't broke, don't fix it...leave the same.  expanding it would take a month to get through it.

Football will never go to a playoff...too hard to get done.  Football is too physical and taxing on athletes (gameplaning, traveling, injuries, $$$).  Plus the politics involved: BCS, Conferences, etc.  It stinks, because it could be us one day that ends up like Cinncy and get overlooked for a championship shot because of this...

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

It needs to stay at 65, however, some of the automatic qualifiers need to be eliminated. You can't tell me that Penn State (2009 NIT Champ) wouldn't have been better off in the NCAAs than say Alabama State or Moorehead State (play-in game).

I like the 64/5 team format, but it should actually be the top 64/5 teams in the country, not the winner of each po-dunk conference that doesn't have any chance.

It needs to stay at 65, however, some of the automatic qualifiers need to be eliminated. You can't tell me that Penn State (2009 NIT Champ) wouldn't have been better off in the NCAAs than say Alabama State or Moorehead State (play-in game).

I like the 64/5 team format, but it should actually be the top 64/5 teams in the country, not the winner of each po-dunk conference that doesn't have any chance.

It needs to go back to 64... to heck with the play in game... and yes, the winner of each po-dunk conference should get to play.

If Penn State or another mid-level team from a big conference doesn't like it, they can move to their own po-dunk conference.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

I agree with Jim's assessment.

I think it works just fine.  We get the occasional first round excitement when a lower seed upsets a higher seed...you know, Cinderellas like George Mason a few years ago..  After the first two rounds, which happen over a weekend, we're down to 16 pretty solid teams and great games to watch.

Have a 64 team tournament.  It never has been exclusive to the Top 64 teams in the country and it shouldn't be.

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  March Madness is one of the greatest events in all of sports, changing it would be foolish.

Archived