• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Recruiting in Canada..?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  622
  • Days Won:  0

I was on the board over on rivals and saw this..."I bet there are a couple of Canadian high school football players who would like to come to the sunshine state for four years. This is good for Bulls recruiting."

Even though Canada is Hockey country - It got me thinking..

You never really hear much about players from Canada but they do play football up there. First I searched the rivals database for International prospects. Interestingly it brought up maybe 6 total prospects and 4 from Canada. There was a 2-star QB and some others unranked. So I jumped over to google and found this.

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/content/sports/college/2009/09/18/09182009waccanadatackles.html?imw=Y

Baylor lost both of their Offensive Tackles from last year. One of which was the second overall selection in the NFL draft - Jason Smith.

Long story short - Baylor finds 2 big guys and both of them are from Canada. They both earned starting jobs. One of them is 6-5 310.

One of the consistent problems we have here at USF is the O-line. So with this Bowl game getting our name out up there it really could not hurt to start taking a peek into some of the big old boys they got up there. I know our recruiting budget is a little light but one trip once in a while couldn't hurt too much! Also note that the Chargers drafted a Lineman straight out of Canada in the last draft.

Just some thoughts from a boring morning ;)

• Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Yeah I know we have a small budget but I would agree I am sure there are alot of big offensive linemen all over just the US that would love to move down to sunny florida.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,022
  • Days Won:  469

Interesting angle Bull^Shark

• Content Count:  2,523

Good thinking Bull.  Would be nice to get a niche somewhere that few others recruit just for one or two positions a year.  USC does it with all those Hawaii players.  With USF being such a "diverse" university, maybe we ought to expand our search for big nasty's to setting up a local HS "exchange student program" for kids who are huge in other countries.  Get a few guys in from places like the former Soviet Union!

• Content Count:  5,241

I believe one of the players starting for Uconn was from Canada.

Overall thou, I dont think its worth the time to go recruit up there. Im betting there's plenty more canadians who got recruited and didnt pan out then the 2-3 that did

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Good thinking Bull.  Would be nice to get a niche somewhere that few others recruit just for one or two positions a year.  USC does it with all those Hawaii players.  With USF being such a "diverse" university, maybe we ought to expand our search for big nasty's to setting up a local HS "exchange student program" for kids who are huge in other countries.  Get a few guys in from places like the former Soviet Union!

If memory serves correct, I believe USF recruited an offensive lineman out of Hamburg, Germany by the name of Towe. The kid was so huge that he was nicknamed The Hamburg Hulk; unfortunately, he didn't pan out for the Bulls.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Ivan_Drago_tif_big.jpg

"I must block you"

Archived