• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

what were final attendance numbers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

it will all change when we win

• Topic Count:  59
  • Content Count:  2,307
  • Days Won:  0

I still think we'll get a better crowd.  Students will be back from home, we're playing Pitt which beat ranked W Va, and it's our final home game.

Yes, its still an 11AM game, but I think some students might prefer that so they'll have time to do other things in the afternoon.

As for the families--I hope they give another discount like they did for this game.  Student companion tickets were $10 and not the regular price of $16.

Lighten up folks, we'll get a better crowd next game.  Yes, I'm a very optimistic person!

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

My guess of actual attendance is about 10,000, but that may have been too high.  I think that the lower bowl holds 40K when full.

• Group:  UCF Knights
  • Topic Count:  207
  • Content Count:  2,276

My guess of actual attendance is about 10,000, but that may have been too high.  I think that the lower bowl holds 40K when full.

Correct...lower bowl capacity that USF uses for RJS is 41,441.

Yeah...like more than 1/2 of them were used yesterday...LOL!!

If maybe every 5th or 6th seat was used...that might of been generous. That would of meant an actual crowd of 6,800-8,200.

That game reminded me of the Hoop game for USF last year...when they had an announced crowd of 2,800 or so...and the ACTUAL crowd of just over 800.

Maybe inflated attendance follows Paul Porter around.

Maybe USF's attendance would go UP if they just got RID of him!!!

He has to be the WORST PA announcer of ALL-TIME!! He is the #1 reason why I can't even handle free Magic Tix anymore. Not worth it to listen to him for 2 hours (3 hours for Football!!! How do ya'll do it!!)

KL

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

Is there not something in the works for the upcoming season where the NCAA is going to start adhering to turnstile-trips vice tix distributed for attendance figures?

I know that SJSU came up with a scheme of inviting some HBC out that way to visit their stadium for a game, and since the alumni travel well, it jacked their numbers. Well...apparently not enough to keep them from reverting to IAA..

Monday, November 22, 2004

Associated Press

SAN JOSE, Calif. -- San Jose State coach Fitz Hill resigned Monday with one game left in his fourth straight losing season with the Spartans.

Hill, one of five black head coaches in Division I-A, will coach San Jose State's season finale against Fresno State on Saturday. The Spartans are 2-8 this season and 14-32 under Hill.

Frustrated with a lack of support from fans, students and the school, he is leaving to become an instructor at Central Florida. Hill, a former Army lieutenant who has a doctoral degree in higher education, also plans to write a book.

"I've been through eight months in Desert Storm and four years at San Jose State," Hill said. "I'm equipped for the next challenge in the world. Nothing can be comparable to what I've been through. I've made it out in one piece. I have no regrets. I just wish I could have produced more wins."

The Spartans have fallen short in several big games during Hill's tenure, who had never been a head coach before San Jose State hired the former Arkansas assistant in December 2000.

"It hurts to know he's gone," linebacker Ezekiel Staples said. "He's a father figure. It's like a divorce. It's hard to deal with the fact that he's not going to be around."

Earlier this month, San Jose State took unbeaten Boise State to double overtime before the Broncos extended their winning streak to 20 games with a 56-49 victory. The Spartans went 6-7 in Hill's second season, beating defending Big Ten champion Illinois but losing two games in the final seconds to ruin their chances at bowl eligibility. San Jose State slipped to 3-8 last year.

This season's highlight was a 70-63 victory over Rice, with the teams setting the Division I record for scoring.

"All I want on Saturday is a victory and a dunk of cold water after the game," Hill said.

San Jose State's football program has been under scrutiny from the NCAA for weak home attendance, which could jeopardize its Division I status. The school's Academic Senate wants the Spartans to leave the Western Athletic Conference, claiming the team's relatively meager budget still uses too much of the school's resources.

The school has employed four presidents in the past two years, and athletic director Chuck Bell resigned earlier in the month. San Jose State alum Bill Walsh is leading the school's search for a new AD, who must be hired before the school seeks Hill's replacement.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

UCF fans need to check themselves. If your biggest contribution to this board is arguing that our attendance stats are inflated-- umm-- who gives a crap? You go from saying it was more like 15k, then you say it was more like 10K, then you say it was about 8K. Whatever-- make yourself feel better by living vicariously through our least attended game of the season. Playing on Thanksgiving weekend was the main problem. Playing after our bowl hopes were pretty much dashed didn't help either. But don't need to make excuses. Our attendance numbers are based on people through the turnstyles which is controlled by the TSA-- NOT on some ticket sales numbers or what you think of the crowd in the seats. Attendance was DISMAL for this game-- that is agreed. What you fail to understand is that it takes quite a large turnout-- around 35K+ to make the lower bowl look even close to full. So when we only get 20K through the gates, it will look even worse. Now go back to your POS team and lick your own wounds.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

Is there not something in the works for the upcoming season where the NCAA is going to start adhering to turnstile-trips vice tix distributed for attendance figures?

NCAA rules say that you must average 15,000 butts in seats to remain in Division I-A.  Teams can request a one-year "probationary" status if they fail to achieve any I-A requirement (9 games, 5 I-A home games, etc).  So, even if schools like Akron and SJSU fail this year, they have 2005 as "probationary" and 2006 to get it back to 15,000 at home.

---

For the students: it was Thanksgiving weekend people... and many many many many students went home for the whole weekend.  I would expect that Pitt will be better... but it won't be like ECU or Army.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  687
  • Content Count:  7,660
  • Days Won:  6

I think these 11am games and losing (of course) will really hurt the season ticket sales for next year.  What will be gained by having WVU (and maybe FAMU/UCF) on the schedule will now be negated by this year's schedule changes and performance.

I would not be surprised if season tix actually decline come next year.  Come August when the count comes out, we will all be discussing how shocked we are with the lack of support.

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

42 in the student section.

I counted.

And yesterday was the 1st game I've ever left before the clock read 0:00.