• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Something to chew on about QB's

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  17
  • Content Count:  1,334
  • Days Won:  0

We have had our top 2 QB's for at least 3 years.  A guy can learn a lot in 3 years, probably enough to throw well even from scratch.

Julmiste and Banks are both still awful.

Whoever coaches the QB's needs to be gone.  It would be a shame to see any more new talent wasted by putting them somewhere they wont learn...USF QB.

Hobbie isnt helping things, but at some point you need a consistant thrower.  And 3 years is plenty of time to groom a QB, especially with 2 tries.

Who IS our QB coach btw?  Answer: Mr. Fired.

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  365

Hobbie is not the QB coach, he is the TE coach and the OC.

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

Rod Smith is the QB coach

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

I could be coached for three decades and I still wouldn't be able to throw a football worth a hoot.  You have to have some natural talent and everyone peaks somewhere.  Smith may be good and he may be bad but until we have a top notch QB with alot of natural talent I don't know that it makes much difference.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Julmiste was never really a QB.  Just a good athlete.  I don't think you can blame Smith for that.  I don't know what happened with Banks.  Anybody know his history as far as HS?  Was he a stud in HS and then lost it when he came to USF?

• Topic Count:  2,696
  • Content Count:  6,928

Maqueel Blackwell as a "grad assistant"

How about Steve DeBerg?

How about Carl Franks as OC?

• Topic Count:  38
  • Content Count:  4,016

So Julmiste wasn't a QB.  He was an athlete, but he also threw for like 200 yards in the Broward v. Dade All-Star game and was MVP.

Banks threw for over 2000 yards his senior year, and had a 55% completion percentage.  

Both players have tools to compete.  Maybe dabull could never be a QB, but we've all see PJ do enough to agree he warrants some consideration as a QB.

The question still remains that PJ has been with this program for three full years, and Banks for five.  In that time it appears Banks has actually gotten significantly worse, and PJ seems to be stagnating, not making that next step.  Where does fault lie for that?

Smith might be good at developing plays, but I don't think QB coaching is his forte.  I've seen some awful QB's turn into masterful passers in 2 years with good QB coaches.  MB was a prime example, and by the time Smith got his mitts in him MB had already spent three years learning under Canales.

I don't know about firing OC, but we probably need a new QB coach.  Everywhere from recruiting the position, to retention at that position (quite a few departures- Kraky, Wolfenberger), to teaching the players has fallen woefully short over the past four years.  

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  100

I'm sure Julmiste was playing against a well prepared defense in an all-star game.  If they gave him a scholarship just based on that it really makes you think.

• Topic Count:  724
  • Content Count:  10,219

Hobbie is not the QB coach, he is the TE coach and the OC.

he too has earned the right to be fired

and soon