• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Discipline

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

As many of you that know me, I am one who bleeds green and gold. When I see our team losing, I always look for the good points. Unfortunately I must address an issue that comes up year after year. It is something that I think goes hand in hand with the success or non success of the team, and that is discipline. Year after year our teams lack discipline. Unfortunately I feel this inadequacy comes from the coaching staff. Penalties are again killing us. We now AGAIN have the (pardon the pun but it fits) bullseye on us. Why do we commit so many penalties...lack of discipline. We get tired, lazy, and in order to compensate we lose our discipline and start the penalty drive. This is a taught subject by the coaches. When this is not addressed by the coaches, it is an accepted practice. But it doesn't end here. The lack of discipline also is in the players appearance. Jerseys out of the uniform makes us look undisciplined. We look sloppy, unorganized and thuggish if I may use this context. If you look at many of the top ten teams, they are in uniform. Yes I am nit picking, but it is the undisciplined individual that looks this way. Lastly, there is no team discpline. This pimping, swagger, or the look at me attitude is not team. This is individualism. Our team is not together as a team. We are a bunch of individuals parading around as a team. Until discipline is restored, our program will continually be declining year after year. One other thing that was said by coach that irritated me to the nenth degree. He stated at halfetime that his coaches had a hard time getting up after the loss to Cincy. This attitude must have been carried down to the players. I thought coaches were to support and get ready for the next team after a loss.? If they can't do this, if they can't reinforce the discipline, whay not look for another college. It is a travasty to the program, the school, and especially the fans, like myself, who want so badly to see this team succeed. Face it "team" you let the cat out of the bag when you showed what you are capable of against FSU. Coaches and players, you have let us the fans, down. It Is time to make changes. Sorry for the rant.

• Content Count:  5,241

I agree with you.

If you look at Cincy and Pitt, they were both very disciplined and prepared for any situation in that game, especially when Pike went down.

Our team... not so much

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,704
  • Days Won:  108

This subject came to mind last night.  And I was wondering - can discipline be taught?  Or is just something that some people have and others don't.  There is no question that USF has been a relatively undisciplined team for as long as I've been watching (since '02).

Does discipline have anything (and I hate to bring this up) to do with intelligence?  We see some of our players just barely make the grade to get into the university.  Do those players present more of a discipline (on the field) problem as time goes on?  Does it have more to do with your upbringing (tough love) at home?

I have no idea of the answers and I don't want the former players on here hating on me.  It is just that these questions have popped into my mind.  Any Behavioral Science majors on here that can help explain?

• Content Count:  651

Discipline can be taught, and the best way to teach it is playing time! Or lack of playing time! I understand players will make mistakes, but onces those mistakes take place too many times they now become habits, its time to pull the kid out and let them know that this stuff won't fly! Kids will respond when playing time is threatened, and if they don't, then they're aren't the type of players we want at USF!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,492
  • Days Won:  13

Coaches let the players get away with it. This will never change.

If you are going to be a USF fan just believe that we will always be a middle of the pack Big East team. If you want more you are just setting yourself up to be let down.

Its sad but this program has reached its peak. I dreamed of watching USF win it all one day, now I will just have to dream of maybe someday winning a bowl game vs a BCS team....

Maybe that will happen some day.

Our goal every year should be the MCCB.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

I think a lot of people will agree with discipline being an issue.

Not so much the kind of discipline issues we've seen in the past - multiple personal fouls.  But simply being a mature focused team going into a game.  That alone will help with the penalty issue.

Someone mentioned a while back (and again recently about what motivational tool the coaches will use for Friday) the problem with "getting up" for every game.  This is taught in Spring and Fall.  Not game week.  In my opinion, we have not taken these guys and given them the game face to have on for a long season.  I think we probably do rely on "getting up" for each game and some games we just don't get up for.  We need to approach the season as a whole and not various pieces that we'll motivate for when it gets here.

I could be way off, but I think great teams (and we're not one by the way) don't need an emotional energy drink before each game.  They simply come out and get it done, confident in their abilities.  I'd like to see a little less pregame dancing and laughing and have the look of a team about to go to battle to win a game.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Coaches let the players get away with it. This will never change.

If you are going to be a USF fan just believe that we will always be a middle of the pack Big East team. If you want more you are just setting yourself up to be let down.

Its sad but this program has reached its peak. I dreamed of watching USF win it all one day, now I will just have to dream of maybe someday winning a bowl game vs a BCS team....

Maybe that will happen some day.

Aaaaahhhhhh.....poor baby.  :'(  :'(  :'(

I'm really feeling sad right now. 

:ROFLMAO

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

It's very simple.  For the most part, the superior team will have "greater discipline".  There are exceptions, the Seminoles of the 90's for example.  But by and large lack of "discipline" stems from frustration and from players trying to do whatever they can to help their team win.

Very simple.  If you are an offensive tackle and can drive the defensive end back five yards every play, not much need to hold him.  If you are getting beat off the line every play, you try and grab him and hope the ref doesn't see it.  

We didn't have many bad penalties against FSU, but had bad penalties against Cincy and Pitt.  It isn't coaching or smart players vs dumb players.  It's human nature, and it's about players trying to do what whatever they can to not get beat.

• Content Count:  1,412

This subject came to mind last night.  And I was wondering - can discipline be taught?  Or is just something that some people have and others don't.  There is no question that USF has been a relatively undisciplined team for as long as I've been watching (since '02).

Does discipline have anything (and I hate to bring this up) to do with intelligence?  We see some of our players just barely make the grade to get into the university.  Do those players present more of a discipline (on the field) problem as time goes on?  Does it have more to do with your upbringing (tough love) at home?

I have no idea of the answers and I don't want the former players on here hating on me.  It is just that these questions have popped into my mind.  Any Behavioral Science majors on here that can help explain?

I agree with Databull

discipline has to be taught, but it also requires experience to see that it works and faith by the athlete.

Intelligence, yes and no, IMO it really depends upon the hard headedness of the player. I have seen Intelligent players be stubborn, and Dumb players can just let others make the decision for him and he follows along.

A talented player can out-talent a lot of people in his high school days, when push comes to shove he will try to return to that behavior abandoning discipline until he gets it.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Not all penalties are created equal.  Any penalty that comes from a lack of positioning (holding, clipping, most pass interference penalties) are more than likely the result of guys who are not athletic enough reaching and grabbing.

The personal fouls are the more boneheaded ones and often the result of guys who can't control themselves enough to stop at the "echo of the whistle" or retaliate by taking a cheap shot during the play.

Archived