• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

would you rather have an offense with a featured back

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Our featured back is the QB.  Has been the past 3.5 years, and will be until we don't have a dual-threat QB.  The RB is just to keep the defense honest.

I would've sworn Canales was more of a passing-game kind of OC.  So it's important to have many various types of receivers, which we have.  We just lack a go-to receiver, which ISNT Mitchell in any kind of important game.

What would I fix?  Stick Lamar in the slot and let him get in open space.  the RBs are doing their job.

BTW, we lead the BE in rushing yards per game.

we cant  run the ball with any consistency

leading BE in rushing means little

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Our featured back is the QB.  Has been the past 3.5 years, and will be until we don't have a dual-threat QB.  The RB is just to keep the defense honest.

I would've sworn Canales was more of a passing-game kind of OC.  So it's important to have many various types of receivers, which we have.  We just lack a go-to receiver, which ISNT Mitchell in any kind of important game.

What would I fix?  Stick Lamar in the slot and let him get in open space.  the RBs are doing their job.

BTW, we lead the BE in rushing yards per game.

we need to stop qb from being featured runner---that isnt working so well

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

What makes you guys think that Ford can be an every down back?  There may be issues that you guys don't know about or don't care.  Conditioning, ball security, and the ability to block seem to be areas where he's lacking.  IMHO none of the backs have separated themselves from the pack.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  125
  • Days Won:  0

What makes you guys think that Ford can be an every down back?  There may be issues that you guys don't know about or don't care.  Conditioning, ball security, and the ability to block seem to be areas where he's lacking.  IMHO none of the backs have separated themselves from the pack.

Well, he has yet to fumble this year - unlike Mo.  And I think the whole conditioning thing is a crock.  You're telling me that a college kid in football shape, who was supposedly a 5 star athlete can't handle carrying it more than 10-15 times a game?  Come on.  Seriously.

evidently we havent had one back that can be an every day back since hall left

sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, he has yet to fumble this year - unlike Mo.  And I think the whole conditioning thing is a crock.  You're telling me that a college kid in football shape, who was supposedly a 5 star athlete can't handle carrying it more than 10-15 times a game?  Come on.  Seriously.

i have been trying to educate this fellow for years

they say some wild things on this site

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

The best is Ford can't block. He has been killing fools this year when he has gotten the opportunity to be in the game on a passing down. The kid is complete.

He spent the summer and spring working, knowing this year could spring him into the pros this year or next.

3 or 4 backs don't work. 1 or 2 is how you do it.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Instead of beating a dead horse further, let's aske the question a little differently.  Has there ever been a team that uses the "Running Back By Committee" system that has actually been a championship caliber team?  There have been a lot of "thunder and lightning" combos, but off the top of my head I can't think of a team that has ever been a successful team that has a complete rotation of 4 or 5 backs like we use.

As far as a back separating themself.  I am sorry, but however I look at this position I see all the failures come back to the) coach. You mean to tell me that a 3rd year 5 star back that has all the physical tools is only on par and deserving the same # of carries per game as a 150 lb 2 or 3 star true feshman back?  I understand there were some injuries, but come on. None of these guys are separating themselves?  What are they doing to develop the raw talent?  Or is it recruiting?  Comes back to the same guy.

• Content Count:  1,528
  • Days Won:  0

wow, apart from a couple, this board is almost uninimous on the frustration with the RB and WR rotations.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

I think the beauty of a feature back for smazza and others is it makes it easier for them to call for a replacement if the featured back isn't getting it done. 

Archived