• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

the difference between us and the rest of the Big East

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  488
  • Days Won:  0

You failed to mention how fast our defense is compared to the rest of the league. We are also the Southernmost team in the league. What else makes us different? We are the youngest team in the league in terms of years with an established football team. We are the only football team with Green as our dominant color. We have the largest student section in our stadium. There's all kinds of differences.  ;D

The weather is nicer and the cheerleaders are tanner. ;D

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I'm afraid we won't be a potent offense until we get rid of all the rotating on offense...

Agree 100%

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,410
  • Days Won:  10

Where's Kelly?

Not being utilized, which is a joke. We need to use him like West Virginia used Schmidt (sp).

I hadn't thought of that but seems like a pretty good idea.  Kelly may not break nine facemasks in his career, but Schmidt did give us something else to worry about.  Kelly has some size and it would be fun to see what he could do as a FB if we were to utiilize him that way.  On the goaline going in I can't see why he is not the go to guy everytime.  He has the size and unless my addled memory is failing me again, I don't remember him having the fumble problem in clutch situations that other backs have demonstrated.

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

I don't think you get a true picture of balance if you just look at the number of carries for our backs. I think you have to look a little closer at the play by play. First of all, a lot of Lamar's carries and success came against the lesser competition. Plancher has been utilized, but nofso effective as a threat since we have hit the tougher stretch on our schedule. Also, a lot of the carries by our RBs have come in the later parts of our games while we were trying to kill the clock. For example, in one game Ford was 2nd in number of carries with 8, but 6 of those carries came in the last 2 drives while we were running out the clock. 

True we are running the read option, spread,  but it sure hasn't looked like we have been running it effectively in the last few weeks. Maybe a function of BJ just starting, but it has looked very one dimensional the last 3 games.

• Content Count:  1,777

I don't think you get a true picture of balance if you just look at the number of carries for our backs. I think you have to look a little closer at the play by play. First of all, a lot of Lamar's carries and success came against the lesser competition. Plancher has been utilized, but nofso effective as a threat since we have hit the tougher stretch on our schedule. Also, a lot of the carries by our RBs have come in the later parts of our games while we were trying to kill the clock. For example, in one game Ford was 2nd in number of carries with 8, but 6 of those carries came in the last 2 drives while we were running out the clock. 

True we are running the read option, spread,  but it sure hasn't looked like we have been running it effectively in the last few weeks. Maybe a function of BJ just starting, but it has looked very one dimensional the last 3 games.

I am beginning to believe the USF staff really believes the current running situation is okay.  It is obvious they they want the QB to be the leading rusher because they really do not put a lot of effort into establishing a consistent running game.

They can be happy all they want with it, but the way we run our offense has yet to be proven a winning offense in this conference.

Personally I like the spread, but not the way we run it. The way we run it has not been effective enough to win against the good defensive teams in this league. Other than a few long passes against FSU and Syracuse I have not been impressed at all with our offense. I expect our guys to put up big stats against Wofford, CSU and WKU. 

• Content Count:  5,241

I'd like us  to use only 2 RBs, sort of like the NFL. Just Ford and Plancher or Ford and Taylor when he's healthy again.

but, I think the QB will always be the #1 or 2 leading rusher. Thats just how our scheme is designed.

• Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

I seem to remember Taylor making this big runs in the come back win against Kansas. Also remember his big runs in the WVU game in 2007. Just wish Taylor would have stayed healthy then I doubt we are even talking about this right now.

Well first of all we need to stay with the spread. It is difficult to recruit the type of lineman and a QB to run a pro style offense. The spread is a great offense to run.  I am just becoming less enamormed each week with the way we run it. We put up good stats against lesser teams, but against the better defensive teams all we have heard for the last few years is about lack of execution or the defense didn't react to what we were trying to get them to do or whatever. One week we hear that they put a spy on the QB and they shut down his ability to run. Then the next week we hear that they shut down the passing lanes. We just never seem to be able to dictate to a defense or set up things for later on.

In my opinion, the 2 teams to make best use of the spread were Oregon and of course WVU. Both had good RBs. If we don't have the personnel to effectively run the offense why do we continue to run it. I don't care if it is Ford, Plancher, Samuels, Taylor, Murray or Lamar, but if we can establish some running game from the) position to keep the defense honest it open up a lot of different opportunities.

The last few weeks has seemed more like we were playing playground football with the best athlete on the field running around and trying to throw the ball down the field once in a while. Winning football is consistently picking up short to medium yardage on 1st and 2nd down and then keeping the chains moving. Not making a spectacular play a couple of times a game. To me, that's what I feel like we have.right now. The spectacular play. Canales knows what he is doing. I just hope this offense doesn't turn into another one man show because the good DCs know how to shut that down when they need to.

Just my opinion.

Guest nybullsfan

Rushing yards are rushing yards, it doesn't matter if it's the RB or the QB... in fact, having a running QB can actually be harder for the defense... (see the Cincy backup QB)

I beg to disagree.

Every time BJ takes off down the field he risks an injury. The more runs, the greater chance of injury.

Cincy might be able to win the BE using 4 quarterbacks in one year, but we sure don't have that kind of depth.

I want to see BJ hand it off and throw it more.

Archived