• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

RJS field to be re-sodded after U2 concert Friday night

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  74,639
  • Days Won:  424

hypothetical...If the sod doesn't take hold... and the field is sloppy/slow... who does that favor?

The offense.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

Just remember that you have the large stage and then around 6-7,000 people that will also be standing on the turf for a couple of hours.  That's why the turf up in Washington was so bad on one end, because the grass had browned out or died due to the crowd. 

But it does appear moot as it looks like they took the sod out for this show.  Probably a pretty good idea.

When they put sod down they generally roll it.  They cut it like a thick carpet and it adheres to the ground pretty well.  I think they either tore up the old sod and have a new roll they've prepped for months or just unrolled the old sod.  They could just replace a few portions, as they normally do.  But they always just unroll sections onto the field.

RayJay normally has one of the best playing surfaces in the country, so I think they'll get everything in order for Thursday night.

• Content Count:  2,726

Just remember that you have the large stage and then around 6-7,000 people that will also be standing on the turf for a couple of hours.  That's why the turf up in Washington was so bad on one end, because the grass had browned out or died due to the crowd. 

But it does appear moot as it looks like they took the sod out for this show.  Probably a pretty good idea.

When they put sod down they generally roll it.  They cut it like a thick carpet and it adheres to the ground pretty well.  I think they either tore up the old sod and have a new roll they've prepped for months or just unrolled the old sod.  They could just replace a few portions, as they normally do.  But they always just unroll sections onto the field.

RayJay normally has one of the best playing surfaces in the country, so I think they'll get everything in order for Thursday night.

+1

I agree with this...they aren't going to shortchange our bulls.

I understand the TSA are a bunch of jerks sometimes...but fact is fact...this is a BIG "nationally televised" game.

They aren't going to want the integrity of their playing surface put in jeopardy.  They will give the 5-0 BULLS exactly what the 0-5 BUCS get.

Lets be honest...also, im sure our University doesn't roll-over and die that easily against the TSA.  Im sure they'll have a say in how the landscape is laid out...especially since they are a PAYING customer!!!

These people are pros with the grounds...let them work their magic!!!!

GOOO BULLS!!!

• Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

Here is a photo.  It looks like they pulled up the fancy $85K Super Bowl turf. 

1009swinefluvaccine12_1_tmb0001_20091009122043_640_480.JPG

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

Brand-new sod comes in this weekend. And the concert promoter is paying for it ...

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2009/10/pro-bono-rayjay-gets-new-sod-after-u2-concert.html

• Content Count:  701

isn't that just a large tarps?  i don't think they would remove the sod before the concert.. i think they would remove it then resod it after the concert for the game

• Content Count:  7,890

That fancy Superbowl turf was replaced right after the game due to the monster truch deal the week after

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I don't like it... if the sod is sloppy then it will help out Nati's offense and bog down our D.

• Content Count:  1,985

First, the TSA has about $7 Million reasons that U2 is playing here tonight.  I know that is the producers gate, but get the drift there.  The turf will be fine.  I am quite sure the concerns are that it is tight so the players do not get hurt, and that it is prepped so that the game does not destroy the turf.

They re-sod fields often, so this should not be an issue.  With us on Thursday, and the Bucs not until sunday, plus all the emphasis the school is putting on this game I would think the field painting etc. will be pretty **** good. 

Archived