• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Greg's Blog: Leavitt on Alvarado: 'Who do I go to?'

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

I'll tell you who to go to coach.  Matt Grothe and BJ Daniels.

FG Miss #1:  4th and 5 Ball on WKU 23. 

FG Miss #2:  4th and 10 Ball on WKU 32 (4 seconds to go in the half)

We need to start going for it in these spots.  CJL will attempt a field goal with no regard to distance or field position.  He brings Alvarado out there like its an automatic 3 points. 

http://blogs.tampabay.com/usf/2009/09/usfs-leavitt-on-alvarado-who-do-i-go-to.html

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

He knows that. I feel that first FG was a test, one that was failed.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

He's still waiting on that walk-on gem that will do for us, what that kid did for Texas Tech.

• Content Count:  879
  • Days Won:  0

"Who? Who do I go to?" Leavitt said. "I could go to (walk-on Eric) Schwartz, who has never kicked a ball in college. I don't know. That's a good question. Am I disappointed? Yes. Is he a good punter? Yes. Did he do some things on kickoffs that were pretty good? Yes. He can't miss field goals. I'm sure he's disappointed also."

This comment is perplexing.  If you are not going to go for a first down, of course you go to Eric Schwartz.  How much worse can he do?  Give the kid a shot and see what he can do.  Alvarado never kicked a ball in college either before his first one either....duh.

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

How much worse can he do? 

He could kick it directly into the back of an O-line man, have it picked up and returned for a TD...

just saying, it could be worse :)

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

"Who? Who do I go to?" Leavitt said. "I could go to (walk-on Eric) Schwartz, who has never kicked a ball in college. I don't know. That's a good question. Am I disappointed? Yes. Is he a good punter? Yes. Did he do some things on kickoffs that were pretty good? Yes. He can't miss field goals. I'm sure he's disappointed also."

This comment is perplexing.  If you are not going to go for a first down, of course you go to Eric Schwartz.  How much worse can he do?  Give the kid a shot and see what he can do.  Alvarado never kicked a ball in college either before his first one either....duh.

Maybe there's been some report I missed on Schwartz, but I doubt it because practice is closed to the media. So we don't really know what Leavitt knows - maybe the guy is kicking the ball backwards in practice or something. Obviously Leavitt is aware of the problem, and wants to come up with the best solution he can.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,407
  • Days Won:  10

This coming game should all be Schwartz.  No safety net, full pressure.  Besides needing better kicking, it is very unfair to put Alverado in this position at all.  He is not and was not recruited to be the kicker.  Don't you think this is killing him?

Take the pressure off Alverado and put in a recruited/walk on kicker.  Or pull a Wofford and go for it on 4th.

• Content Count:  498

I thought we recruited another kicker the same year we got bonani, am i wrong? 

• Content Count:  1,629

We got another punter, Brochas-Kahn. I don't know about any other kickers

• Content Count:  6,502

hmmmm...no backup kickers??  What happens when Alverado gets creamed on a merry go round or on the field?

Archived