• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Game Announcer Opinions

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

The past several years, we've had a different game announcer than from when I was a student 2001-2005. In my humble opinion, the current announcer is not nearly as good, and he's far worse than the majority of game announcers at other stadiums I've been to games in. Other stadiums' announcers really work to play to the home crowd; they encourage a lot of cheering, and they have a huge effect on things like crowd morale and the general atmosphere of spirit. I don't think this guy really understands how to do that, especially when it comes to varying his voice intonation to convey emotion.

I remember when the announcer would say things like "FIRST DOOOOOOWWWWWNNNN, BUULLLLLSSSS" and "Let's hear it for that Bulls DEEEEFFFFFEEENSSEE." He'd tell the crowd to get loud for the team, he'd fan the flame. Other schools' announcers actually start cheers for the whole stadium, at appropriate times. For the past several years, our guy hasn't done that. For example, this past game, he didn't know who Landi was when he saw #12. He missed a bunch of first down announcements to the crowd. He did little to encourage cheering, and certainly didn't start any cheers. He was more of a nonfactor, which kind of takes from the fun of the game. It reduces the fan atmosphere that we're all paying to be a part of.

I'd like to solicit your opinions on the game announcer (not him personally, just the job he does - I don't know who he is, and I don't mean this to be a personal attack). Perhaps it is because I was a DJ and Emcee for 6 years, including for a few of USF's Homecoming, Midnight Manias, and Round-Ups, but I think I could do a much better job (and I follow the team religiously and would have at a minimum memorized all the team numbers). Certainly, there are people who could do these jobs better than I did; but I don't think I should feel that I could do a better job than a game announcer at a major football stadium. I'm not going to try to take the game announcer's job, of course, but I wanted to start a discussion about whether our fan base kinda feels he should change his approach or be replaced. If so, I'll definitely pursue passing along the sentiments up the chain, and I'll keep on it until something gets done. Make suggestions, provide constructive criticism - let's better our game atmosphere and environment so we and future generations of Bulls fans (not to mention recruits) can have the best game experience possible!

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

First of all ... great seeing you guys at the TailGate.

I don't pay attention to the annoucer. I only hear the tunes, the umpire & CROWD NOISE !

Yeah buddy, we enjoyed seeing you too and as always, love the Bull Backers tailgates!

I don't pay attention to the annoucer. I only hear the tunes, the umpire & CROWD NOISE !

Exactly!!! You don't have to pay attention to this guy, he's a non-factor! The game announcer should help make a huge positive difference in your game experience, as announcers do at most other college football stadiums!

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

Yeah buddy, we enjoyed seeing you too and as always, love the Bull Backers tailgates!

Exactly!!! You don't have to pay attention to this guy, he's a non-factor! The game announcer should help make a huge positive difference in your game experience, as announcers do at most other college football stadiums!

I agree!

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

My biggest peve with the announcer is with the first down call. The HOT is playing the song which we cheer to, and then they want us to do the "Bulls......First Down" at the same time.  Makes us look stupid.

I found out that the current PA announcer is actually the same guy as before. Clearly, he used to do a different job than he has recently; there's a stark contrast of style. That means it's not talent or know-how; perhaps he's changed his style so much due to that being the job he is asked to do. I have no idea. But this means he could be the awesome announcer he used to be!

One way or another, things are different, and I'd love some opinions to help me contact someone to pass them along!

• Content Count:  693
  • Days Won:  0

I like when the opposing team's offense was on the field and Ray Jay would put the make some noise sign on the Jumbo and the announcer would say "make some noise for your USF defense" while the players were moving their arms up to pump up the crowd. That got the stadium on their feet and you could barely think it was so loud. I wish he would do that more like back in 07

• Content Count:  2,052
  • Days Won:  0

Brandon, you got my vote! Heck, if it were so, I might start wearing the "Reaper" again!!! (As long as I could hear my theme song!!! ;))

• Content Count:  6,574
  • Days Won:  2

I would love to have the announcer get the crowd going more- this one reminds me of the retired Georgia radio announcer- we have the ball  first down on the 40 yard line and by the time he said that, the play was over, he could put you to sleep.

Haha, thanks Reaper, I miss you man! I need to come by your tailgate next game!

What do you guys think about the announcer's treatment of first down? Fourth down? Special teams plays like kickoffs? I've seen things done a large variety of ways by watching college football games in person across the nation. What should we do here that would be most fun? There are unique traditions for all of these particular events at different colleges.

Archived