• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Game Announcer Opinions

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

the announcer is awesome and you guys suck balls.

by the way, he says what he is told to say.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  407

Number one reason why i got one of those radio things.

• Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

IF he's doing what he's told, who do we STAMPEDE to get a BULLS announcer at BULLS GAMES?

• Content Count:  4,738

he is a BULLS Announcer.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

mikebeau - after posting this and doing some research, I learned that our announcer is indeed a Bulls announcer, and he is indeed the same guy as before. I bet he's an awesome guy, personally. Everyone I've asked about him today seems to have a high opinion of him personally. So, I throw back to my original post - even though I'm not happy with the announcing style lately, this is NOT a personal attack on whoever the announcer is. In addition, I've learned he is indeed forced into scripted announcing. WHICH MEANS - he used to have more flexibility to add to the gametime atmosphere, be it because he wasn't so scripted, or he had better scripting.

I've figured out who to contact; i.e. who "writes the announcer's script." SO. I'm putting out a call for ideas, so this great announcer guy can maybe get a little help from fans to have his superiors contacted to lobby for him to have more fun announcing like he used to. Capiche?

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

To be honest, I think he talks too much.  You got the band rocking and he just seems to talk over them.  I'd rather the band get the crowd fired up.  I mostly tune him out, so can't really comment on his style.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

To be honest, I think he talks too much.  You got the band rocking and he just seems to talk over them.  I'd rather the band get the crowd fired up.  I mostly tune him out, so can't really comment on his style.

Actually, that's a good point. I've noticed times when he's talking, especially doing some sort of paid announcement, over the band. I don't know if there's a way around that. BUT, I do know some school mic their band up to the loudspeakers at specific times (or even all the time, I think, in Miami's case). Our band is pretty huge, and usually you can hear them everywhere in the stadium. But what do you think about mic'ing them through at certain times? That might be a logistical nightmare. But I can't deny that having the band play a more prominent role could improve the gametime atmosphere!

My biggest peve with the announcer is with the first down call. The HOT is playing the song which we cheer to, and then they want us to do the "Bulls......First Down" at the same time.  Makes us look stupid.

The band plays during the game?  ;) ;) ;)

j/k  I know they do. I never hear them in SEC 125... I didn't even hear a single note from HALFTIME.  The acoustics in the stadium suck.

So I like the "that's another Bulls.... <pause for the crowd to respond at the same time> first down!" call...

I would also rather hear the band... so we need to put a microphone on them!!

• Content Count:  558

Are you sure this is the same USF Announcer from the past. It is the same announcer that the Orlando Magic, Lightning, etc. use. You could easily hear him on the TV broadcast of the Magic Playoff games. It did not sound like him Sat. night. "Thats.........for a 1st down.....Bulllllllllls......is definitely missing. There must have been a public address announcer Bermuda Triangle in Tampa Bay over the weekend because the Bucs had a different announcer Friday night that would barely speak and then do it in monotone.

The USF guy is Paul Porter....see bio from O - Magic below.........bring him back or at least his style from last year......someone please email USF marketing with this.

PAUL PORTER

Public Address Announcer

One of the NBA’s most veteran public address announcers, Paul

Porter returns for his 15th season with the Magic.

Porter is no stranger to the NBA microphone. He is the former PA

announcer and radio play-by-play talent of the Cleveland Cavaliers, holding

these positions from 1980-84.

Anative of Cleveland, Ohio, Porter is believed to be the only person to have

announced NBA All-Star games in two different cities --1981 in Cleveland and 1992 in Orlando.

During the summer of 2002, Porter served as PA announcer for the World Basketball Championships

in Indianapolis. It was the second time he participated in the games. He was also involved during

the summer of 1994 in Toronto, Ontario. He also announced the 1999 NHL All-Star Game in

Tampa, Fla.

In addition to his duties with the Magic, Porter is the PA announcer for the Tampa Bay Lightning

of the National Hockey League, the Arena Football League’s Tampa Bay Storm and the University

of South Florida football team. He is currently the morning news/sports anchor at WKES 91.1 FM,

which can be heard throughout Central Florida. Porter also hosts “The Home Team,†a Saturday

sports talk show at 10 a.m. on WWBA 1040 AM in Tampa Bay.

Porter is a correspondent for the country’s first all-sports radio station, WFAN in New York City.

He is also heard nationwide on the Associated Press Radio Network.

Porter and his wife, Jan, reside in Tampa, Fla.

Archived