• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Where does USF stand vs. the Big 3?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

So, USF has been trying to break through the glass ceiling for a number of years and I have heard people (writers and those on this board) asking if there is now a Big 4 in Florida.  Personally, I think it is premature as UF, UM and FSU have had many conference titles and NC's, as well as BCS bowl games.  We have had none of those things, yet, and it takes a track record of those to even be considered at the same level.

However, we will have a clear glimpse of what level of talent and coaching ability we have versus those three this year based on the following common opponents on each others schedules.

USF v. FSU and UM

FSU v. UF and UM and USF

UF v.  FSU and Charleston Southern

USF v. UM, FSU, and Charleston Southern

With all of these common opponents, we should know about how much of a gap exists between our programs by the end of the year.  I think it will prove out that we are a bit lighter on depth, slightly less capable on skill positions, and that our coaching talent is not quite at the same level (or at least our ability to adjust in game time decisions).  I also think our sloppy play (turnovers and penalties) will kill us unless we figure out how to reverse that trend this year. 

For USF, we "should" beat Charleston Southern.  UM is a "winnable" game depending on how we look by that time of the year, though they beat us last time.  FSU will be a challenge as they are on the upswing and have lots and lots of talent.  I would say that will be a tough test early on. 

Curious what others think.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

All of this conjecture and who plays whom is unneeded. We have Miami and FSU head to head. By the end of the year we will know the gap or lack there of by what is done on the field.

The gap is not very large in my opinion. We will find out.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,704
  • Days Won:  108

All of this conjecture and who plays whom is unneeded. We have Miami and FSU head to head. By the end of the year we will know the gap or lack there of by what is done on the field.

Exactly.  We'll know in 3 1/2 months.

• Content Count:  7,201

Exactly.  We'll know in 3 1/2 months.

Agreed, which is specifically the point of my post.  An observation that we will clearly know where we stand by the end of this season. 

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  6,767

in line.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,382
  • Days Won:  10

Not there yet.  Not nearly.

Archived