• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF Takes Weak Stance On Football Field Racial Slurs

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

Pussification of America. Its football.

this

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

let me just state that all this oversensitivity and wolf-calling about "racism" in our society right now, and the propensity for so many people to play the race card in order to embarrass people or blackmail people into being "politically correct" makes me sick to my stomach.

NOBODY wants to be called a racist or be seen as racially insensitive in 2009... it is the new McCarthyism to arbitrarily and wantonly accuse someone of "racism" or racial insensitivity in order to put them on the defensive or shut them up altogether.

look, if a BLACK player wants to use the "N-word," who the f**k is a crusty old white man like Brett McMurphy to tell him it's inappropriate? since when did white, middle-aged, second-rate newspaper beatwriters become the authority on what is or isn't acceptable for young black men to say or do?

and the use of Walt Walker's stance is even more despicable...  YES, Walt Walker was brave and honorable for taking a stand against a common word that has historically been used to dehumanize or marginalize Blacks for hundreds of years. i personally agreed with Walt Walker and loved that story... but not everyone agrees with Walt Walker, and young guys like Ryne Giddens weren't around in 2007 when Walt Walker took that stand.

for people like McMurphy and Edrington to insist that because one black man [Walt Walker] believed one way about the use of the word "nigga" that another black man [Ryne Giddens] must automatically think the same way is racist in and of itself because it denies the possibility for diversity of opinion within the black community. do all black people have to agree on the use of that word?

to racists like McMurphy, apparently all black people have to agree with Walt Walker or something is scandalous.

and to idiots like Edrington, it's apparently the obligation of old white people like Brett McMurphy, Jim Leavitt, Doug Woolard and Judy Genshaft to dictate to the poor, helpless, hapless black football players what should or shouldn't offend them, because well those lil' ol' black football players just don't know any better to decide for themselves... leave it to a smart, intelligent white man like Brett McMurphy to decide for them.

after all, Brett McMurphy is an expert on Blackness. he's only a beatwriter for a ****** internet news"paper" in his spare time. his day job is professor of African-American studies at Howard University.

::)

the sad, pathetic thing here is that Brett McMonkeyfugger is an old, dusty honkey [i mean that in an endearing way] that couldn't give less of a **** about the psychological impact of the "N-word" on black football players.

he only wants to use the third-rail of race and cheap accusations of racism and racial insensitivity to smear Jim Leavitt and USF as an institution.

and if you ask me, a white so-called "journalist" objectifying young black men like Ryne Giddens and Walt Walker as racial volleyballs to score cheap points in a petty feud with CJL and USF is the most racist thing of all.

• Content Count:  4,016

let me just state that all this oversensitivity and wolf-calling about "racism" in our society right now, and the propensity for so many people to play the race card in order to embarrass people or blackmail people into being "politically correct" makes me sick to my stomach.

NOBODY wants to be called a racist or be seen as racially insensitive in 2009... it is the new McCarthyism to arbitrarily and wantonly accuse someone of "racism" or racial insensitivity in order to put them on the defensive or shut them up altogether.

look, if a BLACK player wants to use the "N-word," who the f**k is a crusty old white man like Brett McMurphy to tell him it's inappropriate? since when did white, middle-aged, second-rate newspaper beatwriters become the authority on what is or isn't acceptable for young black men to say or do?

and the use of Walt Walker's stance is even more despicable...  YES, Walt Walker was brave and honorable for taking a stand against a common word that has historically been used to dehumanize or marginalize Blacks for hundreds of years. i personally agreed with Walt Walker and loved that story... but not everyone agrees with Walt Walker, and young guys like Ryne Giddens weren't around in 2007 when Walt Walker took that stand.

for people like McMurphy and Edrington to insist that because one black man [Walt Walker] believed one way about the use of the word "*****" that another black man [Ryne Giddens] must automatically think the same way is racist in and of itself because it denies the possibility for diversity of opinion within the black community. do all black people have to agree on the use of that word?

to racists like McMurphy, apparently all black people have to agree with Walt Walker or something is scandalous.

and to idiots like Edrington, it's apparently the obligation of old white people like Brett McMurphy, Jim Leavitt, Doug Woolard and Judy Genshaft to dictate to the poor, helpless, hapless black football players what should or shouldn't offend them, because well those lil' ol' black football players just don't know any better to decide for themselves... leave it to a smart, intelligent white man like Brett McMurphy to decide for them.

after all, Brett McMurphy is an expert on Blackness. he's only a beatwriter for a ***** internet news"paper" in his spare time. his day job is professor of African-American studies at Howard University.

the sad, pathetic thing here is that Brett McMonkeyfugger is an old, dusty honkey [i mean that in an endearing way] that couldn't give less of a **** about the psychological impact of the "N-word" on black football players.

he only wants to use the third-rail of race and cheap accusations of racism and racial insensitivity to smear Jim Leavitt and USF as an institution.

and if you ask me, a white so-called "journalist" objectifying young black men like Ryne Giddens and Walt Walker as racial volleyballs to score cheap points in a petty feud with CJL and USF is the most racist thing of all.

Well put.  Possibly the best post on this entire thread.  A white journalist telling a young black man how to use that word, and when it is appropriate could be the greatest form of racism that's occurred here- they're racial profiling and that's shameful particularly coming from a white writer.  The comment was directed at a white player by a black player, so as far as I can tell this is a white man pontificating how 'he thinks' the word is meant to be used-- as if he's been given some journalistic freedom to be judge to a blackman on how he should conduct himself.

The true injustice has been conducted by Tom, and BMM trying to self-proclaim themselves as arbiters on what is appropriate for a blackman to say.  Shame on those two as both seem to be the big racial profilers in this bunch! 

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

for people like McMurphy and Edrington to insist that because one black man [Walt Walker] believed one way about the use of the word "*****" that another black man [Ryne Giddens] must automatically think the same way is racist in and of itself because it denies the possibility for diversity of opinion within the black community. do all black people have to agree on the use of that word?

after all, Brett McMurphy is an expert on Blackness. he's only a beatwriter for a ***** internet news"paper" in his spare time. his day job is professor of African-American studies at Howard University.

Well put.  Possibly the best post on this entire thread.  A white journalist telling a young black man how to use that word, and when it is appropriate could be the greatest form of racism that's occurred here- they're racial profiling and that's shameful particularly coming from a white writer.  The comment was directed at a white player by a black player, so as far as I can tell this is a white man pontificating how 'he thinks' the word is meant to be used-- as if he's been given some journalistic freedom to be judge to a blackman on how he should conduct himself.

The true injustice has been conducted by Tom, and BMM trying to self-proclaim themselves as arbiters on what is appropriate for a blackman to say.  Shame on those two as both seem to be the big racial profilers in this bunch! 

Who does Brett think he is, Bill Cosby?   ;D

• Content Count:  4,738

who reads a beatwriter's column to find out what slurs are offensive to him?

• Content Count:  2,277

My favorite part:

... Brett McMonkeyfugger....

:ROFLMAO

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

for people like McMurphy and Edrington to insist that because one black man [Walt Walker] believed one way about the use of the word "nigga" that another black man [Ryne Giddens] must automatically think the same way is racist in and of itself because it denies the possibility for diversity of opinion within the black community. do all black people have to agree on the use of that word?

after all, Brett McMurphy is an expert on Blackness. he's only a beatwriter for a ****** internet news"paper" in his spare time. his day job is professor of African-American studies at Howard University.

****, great friggin post man. 

• Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I am sure at every other Football camp across the country they are all acting like Miss Molly Manners. Love to see them review Any Given Sunday.

• Content Count:  997
  • Days Won:  1

Was the article on Walter Walker trying to get rid of the word "news worthy?" What did you think at the time? Did you complain and cry then? I swear I am constantly amazed at this board.

Remember www.southfloridabulls.com 12 years ago? Oh those were the days.

I suppose you're directing that to me.  The Walter Walker story was newsworthy to some, not so much to others.  Same goes for the recent story.  The issue of this thread is how far the "media" takes it in claiming USF is not addressing the issue itself.  USF's decision to address the student-athlete internally is USF's prerogative.  The University is not required to offer some apology to the community or do community work because a player used unacceptable language.

Now, southfloridabulls.com 12 years ago?  No.  It wasn't around.  But what is the point?  Are you inferring that SFB used the same sorts of tactics?  I'd urge you to find any proof of that whatsoever.  SFB was not an editorial site, save for two editorials I wrote, one I remember was about my disdain for Raymond James Stadium (I'm an OCS guy).   Nearly all of SFB was game stories, trivia, polls, images, et cetera.

Let's not try to legitimize the illegitimate by conjuring up some additional fiction.

Sorry Brad that comment wasn't aimed at anyone. Its just amazing to me how many people know what is and what isn't newsworthy when it comes to negative USF press. They must have learned this in the Murrow Institute. None of them were criticizing the Walter Walker story when it came out, now they decry this article because it hurts their USF vaginas. The way the board members act anymore would be laughable if it weren't so sad.  I can't wait till they shout down Brett at a press conference but then again that at least takes initiative and action not just not so righteous indignation on the internet. I can hardly stomach it anymore.

As far as the southfloridabulls.com reference I meant the usfbulls.com site back when everything was new and only hardcore fans without an agenda or an internet persona to build had fun and shared USF news which was hard to find at the time. Most of those poster have abandoned the internet web sites and have been replaced with . . . hell I don't even know how to describe the posters these days.

You do a great service to USF fans and the university and I never meant anything to be directed at you.

Archived