• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

10 most penalized football teams

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

You're Busted!: The 10 Most Penalized Teams in College Football

The officiating in College Football gets progressively worse every year. I write about it often and I'm sure this year will be no different.

Officiating affects outcomes of football games, as a single call or missed call can mean the difference between winning and losing.

Most head coaches seemed to have mastered the art of how to ride an official properly in hopes to be the beneficiary of better calls.

When most of these same coaches are asked what the biggest difference makers are, they all usually give the same answers: turnovers and penalties.

While turnovers are mistakes and part of the game which usually come from simply trying too hard, penalties can be one of the most frustrating things to watch for coaches, players, and fans alike.

As many coaches point to penalties as part of the problem and something they must overcome, the stats tell us something totally different, the most penalized teams are often the best teams.

Let's look at the top ten most penalized teams from last season.

Link

4. South Florida, 111 Penalties for 882 yards

Coach Jim Leavitt started his program in a trailer and now has a team usually ranked among the top 25. While the Bulls are now winners, they haven't always got the benefit of calls in their favor.

Here's a theory. If you have a scrambling QB like Matt Grothe who is always looking to make things happen, you are going to have a lot of penalties.

I think holds and illegal men downfield are just by-products of a QB who knows the play isn't over until the ref blows the whistle.

We are in good company...USC (smazza aside), Florida, Florida State, Georgia, Oklahoma

Modified by Bulliever to correct typo

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  1,985
  • Days Won:  0

I hate being on the list, but it is also validation in a way.  At least at an average of under 8 yards a penalty they are mostly holding etc. and not the personal fouls that first got us to the top of the list a few years back. 

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

We are one of the most UNDISCIPLINED teams in the nation...

I think it has a lot to do with our late season collapses. Look at out losses and look at the mistakes that were made in those games... Uncalled for and undisciplined errors.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

i applaud brad for posting this

unfortunately this has been a recurring theme and it wont change

• Content Count:  12,293

penalities cost us the Pitt game last year....thats for sure.

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

unfortunately this has been a recurring theme and it wont change

OMG, I agree with smazza on this.

I can't stand the dumb personal fouls

• Content Count:  693

Did anyone notice how many Florida teams were on that list? We are among good company, can't wait to see the yellow flag fest in Doak this year.

• Content Count:  356

Completely agree- sloppy undisciplined play made this team maddening to watch at times...if its not coaching, then what is it?

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Not making excuses, but a great deal of it is on the individual and how they compete and/or react in competition.  Not every charateristic of a human being can be coached.

The coaches need to do their share of coaching and leading, but at the same time you're telling these guys to be aggressive, physical and go all out.  It ain't the library.

• Content Count:  266
  • Days Won:  1

We are one of the most UNDISCIPLINED teams in the nation...

I think it has a lot to do with our late season collapses. Look at out losses and look at the mistakes that were made in those games... Uncalled for and undisciplined errors.

Amen to that.

Archived