• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Rays draw 19,000?

Joe

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,084
  • Days Won:  2

he said it for a reason, its what everyone says....its the stigma of the rays fan. its not just keyshawn, who did say it on a national tv show, you would hear him say that about Cardinals fans, because it wouldnt fit.

he who defends everything, defends nothing. 

its ok the rays fans are terrible fans, at least the team is good and exciting.  But they got 19K out for a WS rematch.  I went to a game last year vs the angels where both teams were battling for best record in the league and no one was there. 

No where else in America my friend, besides maybe Miami and Atlanta. 

I wish i could trade the whole mets team for the rays and get these guys some support.  Mets **** on their fans 3 years in a row and still draw crowds, sell **** loads of merchandise even with basically a single A lineup and team right now.  but if you were from ny and no one was coming out to the games i guess you can make traffic excuses or something like that. 

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,460
  • Days Won:  13

Then why'd they draw so well in 1998 or 1999?

It's an excuse.

Economy was a [glow=red,2,300]hell[/glow] of a lot better in 1998 & 1999!!!!!

I dont want to really get into this. BUT GIVE ME A BREAK. The economy is not the problem here. The economy was doing well in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, and 2005. How was Rays attendance then?

uh HELLO they sucked back then. and don't talk to me about attendance. last time i checked marlins attendance wasn't much better if at all

oh they sucked? so you admit they are fairweather fans

Keyshawn Johnson is hosting Rome today and was talking about something that happened with Romero, relief pitcher from the Phillies and a Rays fan.  HE said first off its astonishing to find a rays fan.  Thats what the stigma of the rays and the rays fans are.  Write your 7 paragraph excuses of location, and when they were good, blah blah blah.  The fans, marketing, whole look of the Rays and their fans is sad. 

Keyshawn lived in Tampa, he knows and so does EVERYONE, besides the apologist...of course...

Um until last year I could go weeks without seeing any Rays gear, Now I cant even go a day without seeing a bright new Rays hat. The fans arte only there because they are good. If they dont keep it up the fans will disapear.

• Content Count:  12,293
  • Days Won:  0

he who defends everything, defends nothing. 

is that your cute little roman catch phrase for the week or something??

you dont have a point.  you use the mets as an example.  there is a HUGE difference between the mets and the rays.  mets have  40+ year history.  they built their fanbase before cable tv.  before the internet, before direct tv, mlb extra innings packages.

in today's world it is so easy for people to follow teams from outside their market.  the rays have only been around for 10 years and have stunk for the first 9.  they had support in their first two years because people in st pete were trying to support them.  they wanted to support them.  but have getting their face pounded in every season a lot of fans had enough.  namolli wasnt doing anything to try and improve the team so people went back and followed teams of their first love which was a lot easier to do in 2000 than it was in 1970.

look at the indians.  they were TERRIBLE in attendance...so bad that a movie was made about them.  they were a laughing stock.  then some success and a new stadium came into the picture.  they had how many straight sellouts of jacob's field?  then the team started to suck and the fans stopped coming.  the indians are now just above the rays in attendance.

if a new stadium was to be built in this area you would see DRASTIC change in attendance. 

if it was closer to the core of the metro area then you would see a DRASTIC change.

the rays have a lot of casual fans but not even diehard fans to completely re-arrange their schedule at work to be able to make the games from tampa during the week.

but the TV ratings PROVE there is fan support.  But no matter what, you can't have 9 seasons of pure crap, then get 1 great season and expect everything to be roses.  especially when you factor in the location of the stadium.

http://www.bizjournals.com/tampabay/stories/2008/09/22/daily13.html?ana=from_rss

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Again World Series rematch, 19000 fans. Terrible.

and just as impressive is that we beat halladay AGAIN.  neimman pitched a great game tonight

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Let's run down the positive factors that should have drawn a big crowd in Toronto tonight.

- Stadium conveniently located in downtown Toronto, the largest metro area in Canada, with plenty of access to mass transit.

- Domed stadium keeps everyone comfortable.

- Contending team playing the defending AL champions for the first time all year.

- Roy Halladay is pitching.

Tonight's crowd: 15,665.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,460
  • Days Won:  13

Let's run down the positive factors that should have drawn a big crowd in Toronto tonight.

- Stadium conveniently located in downtown Toronto, the largest metro area in Canada, with plenty of access to mass transit.

- Contending team playing the defending AL champions for the first time all year.

So what your saying is that even if the Rays had a park in down town Tampa they may still only draw ****.

• Content Count:  2,567
  • Days Won:  1

- 5.5 Million people in the Toronto Metro area.

you left out an important

well it is Canada.  I think they are all home grading the NHL draft

Archived