• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Rays draw 19,000?

Joe

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

over 35k tonight

Wasn't there a concert last night?

Pat Benatar

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

My point was we drew 19000 for a world series rematch, not a weekend game with a concert...

My point was we drew 19000 for a world series rematch, not a weekend game with a concert...

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Excuses...that's all anyone has.

It's not just me, it's the owner and the president. The excuses keep coming, but they're lame.

Sorry.

EXCUSES?  No we have numbers, and the feasibility study says exactly what the problem is.  The Rays know this, but they also have 27 years left on their lease and they can't just pack-up and leave without being very careful in how they handle this.  There's no excuses here...the Rays want to move the site closer to the urban core...it's a complete outlier, and to far away from the general paying population. 

I mean jeez, the Rays are actually doing feasibility studies on locations, and 6 of the 7 possible sites are not near downtown St. Pete, all are near Carillon, or in Tampa.  This has to be done sensitively because there is very little likelihood the Rays will be leaving Tampa Bay for the next 30 years...unless some city in financial distress is going to pony up $200m to buyout the lease.  So, the best plan for the Rays is to try and get the St. Petersburg community to reluctantly agree that they are not the most optimal site and work a deal with the Rays to allow them to move closer to the urban core.

• Content Count:  12,293

LOL.  you are the only getting all clammed up and claiming people are just making "excuses" and then the rays draw 35K on the weekend and you  have an excuse...'there was a concert'

it was pat freakin benatar is doubt.  not a huge draw.  i think they just got done playing the carnival cruise line tour or something.

everyone's point is that due to the distance and location of the trop it is not possible to get to games during the week. 

its not an excuse it is a fact.  the fact is, if i work until 5pm i cannot drive from downtown tampa, to my house in brandon, throw some food in my mouth, change clothes,pick up family and go back to the trop and expect to get there before 8pm.  why would i want to do that?

there are plenty of people in this situation all along tampa bay, if its wesley chapel, new tampa, pasco county, carrolwood, etc.

the rays TV ratings are through the roof, merch sales are up, attendence is up, but they are NEVER going to draw big during the week until the location of the stadium is changed.

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

No, I am not making excuses. Very few people can make all 81 games...it's **** near impossible.

What is possible is making 5-6 games a year. This should be one, no excuse not to get a big crowd out for these games...

I agree with it being possible to make 5-6 games a year. But the Phillies wouldn't be one!!!!!

Matt,

You're talking to a guy in the biz, you know who else sold out last night? The Pirates.

The Rays drew 1 game over 30000 in 6 games this week which included a World Series rematch and an instate interleague matcup.

I'm as big a Rays fan as they come, but management has stepped in...you're in denial if you think nothing in wrong.

It's just excuses. The Raysare certainly at a disadvantage with the distance and non central locale.

But it was a World series rematch, those rare games have never not sold out according to Sports Business Daily.

Again 15000 for a midweek game against the Royals, who cares...19000 for a Orld Series rematch? I have to question a lot.

• Content Count:  12,293

Matt,

You're talking to a guy in the biz, you know who else sold out last night? The Pirates.

The Rays drew 1 game over 30000 in 6 games this week which included a World Series rematch and an instate interleague matcup.

it doesnt matter what "biz" you are in.  you complain about excuses when there are logical reasons why the team doesnt draw during the week.

and today drew 29,500. 

guess what the pirates have....a great stadium in a great central location.  so how can you compare them to what the rays draw. 

then you go ahead and quote sports business daily which again doesnt change the fact that the trop is not in a good location to be able to draw consistant support.

Then why'd they draw so well in 1998 or 1999?

It's an excuse.

• Content Count:  1,387
  • Days Won:  1

Then why'd they draw so well in 1998 or 1999?

It's an excuse.

Economy was a [glow=red,2,300]hell[/glow] of a lot better in 1998 & 1999!!!!!

Archived