• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Khyri Thornton not coming to USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

I can assure you by today's academic standards most on this board would not "get in" USF.  Being smart is a good thing.

They would if they could play football... While the standards are higher at USF than simply clearing the NCAA bar there is certainly an ocean of academic achievement between the acceptance criteria for a football player and a general population student.

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

While they're are different standards I'm not they could be classified as "oceans " apart. The biggest difference comes post acceptance with the access to tutors and other educational resources.

Always tough to see a kid with loads of ability below the neck and not above the neck.

Go Bulls!

Oceans is probably an understatement frankly. It is difficult to point directly toward the USF committee cause they take a lot of subjective things into account. But the NCAA standards are a sliding curve here - http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Quick_Reference_Sheet.pdf. As a reference a student with a 2.5 High School GPA would require a 820 SAT score (verbal and math only). I entered USF in 1999 and I don't know of a single person in my peer group that went to any 4 year college with either of those numbers that bad - or even remotely that bad. In 2013 USF's mean GPA was 4.0 and the mean SAT score was 1200!

Probably an interesting discussion for another forum and I believe USF is ahead of many of their peers in at least pushing the NCAA standards a little.  But no student earning an 2.5 high school GPA and an 820 SAT is prepared for college regardless of how much tutoring you are willing to give him.

Edited by USF_Grouper

• Topic Count:  555
  • Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

I didn't take the SAT, I took the 4 subject ACT (English, Math, Reading, Science) and got a 29 composite. Today that is 93 percentile. If I remember correctly it was 95 or 96 percentile in 1981 when I took it. I feel the fact they slide the entrance requirements for students is another reason not to call them 'student-athletes'. Academics clearly takes the back seat on admissions in many cases.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  112
  • Content Count:  8,159
  • Days Won:  8

Thanks NC. Hope you finished your degree when times were easier.

I think the 1320 GRE score I posted might still qualify today, thanks.

• Topic Count:  433
  • Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Just went in the third round to the Packers.

Digging up bones... i'm digging up bones....exhuming things that are better left alone..

Nice job....when I saw his name I just shook my head a couple times.

To be fair we have recruited the DT position fairly well...even with Lou Holtz's son....over the years. Plus, IIRC FSU was on him early until academic concerns made them go another direction.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Funny thing is... I got into USF with a 2.19 GPA in 1999. My SAT's were a 1080. I graduated from USF with a 3.41 GPA. I'd be willing to say I make more money than most people on the academic board (I mean - that's the true moniker of success, correct)? Granted, this story is old news, but the academic board needs to be dissolved. The board has no clue what type of background someone is raised in. If a student can meet the minimum NCAA standards, then he or she should be given every opportunity to succeed at USF (while also pursuing their athletic dreams).

We are not Harvard and there's no reason to pretend that USF will ever be on Harvard's level (no matter how many 4.0 GPA's attend USF in the near future - elementary and secondary education down South are no where near the same level as elementary and secondary education in the Northeast). Apples and oranges. Here's what I remember when taking English classes my frosh year - half the students in my classes couldn't write worth a **** (and this wasn't a remedial English class). These same students were in the top 25% of their high school classes when they graduated from high schools in Florida. It boggled my mind seeing how far back the South was compared to the Northeast - but it also made USF fairly easy to graduate with a degree (besides those **** accounting classes that Slateman got me though - thanks Slater!). 

• Topic Count:  303
  • Content Count:  5,550
  • Days Won:  21

Funny thing is... I got into USF with a 2.19 GPA in 1999. My SAT's were a 1080. I graduated from USF with a 3.41 GPA. I'd be willing to say I make more money than most people on the academic board (I mean - that's the true moniker of success, correct)? Granted, this story is old news, but the academic board needs to be dissolved. The board has no clue what type of background someone is raised in. If a student can meet the minimum NCAA standards, then he or she should be given every opportunity to succeed at USF (while also pursuing their athletic dreams).

We are not Harvard and there's no reason to pretend that USF will ever be on Harvard's level (no matter how many 4.0 GPA's attend USF in the near future - elementary and secondary education down South are no where near the same level as elementary and secondary education in the Northeast). Apples and oranges. Here's what I remember when taking English classes my frosh year - half the students in my classes couldn't write worth a **** (and this wasn't a remedial English class). These same students were in the top 25% of their high school classes when they graduated from high schools in Florida. It boggled my mind seeing how far back the South was compared to the Northeast - but it also made USF fairly easy to graduate with a degree (besides those **** accounting classes that Slateman got me though - thanks Slater!). 

The academic committee was disbanded long (a couple of years?) ago.

Edited by dogma

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

The academic committee was disbanded long (a couple of years?) ago.

Thought so, too ..... but he was on a roll.

• Topic Count:  721
  • Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Well, what the hell are we bringing up an old story for then? I could have been cleaning around the house instead of ranting about this non-sense.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

Well, what the hell are we bringing up an old story for then? I could have been cleaning around the house instead of ranting about this non-sense.

Posts by a BowlBoundBulls should have been a clue as to this being a pretty old thread ...  ;)