• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Final Spring Game thoughts

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,719
  • Days Won:  0

My final thoughts?  It was a scrimmage.  I saw a lot of talent on the field, and they all play for USF.  I feel great about this team.  Green and Gold glasses, maybe?  My final thoughts?  Go Bulls!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  339

i thought it was funny that before the spring game, people were so pumped about our TRANSFER and JUCO offensive linemen.. then were all of a sudden freaked out because they realized how crappy our o-line was at the spring game.. what the hell did you guys expect?  they are TRANSFERS.. on the o-line, we're gonna be screwed this year.

The only expected transfer is possibly Rose (FSU) and he won't be here til summer at the earliest (fall is more realistic).  The 2 JUCOs are not here until summer either.  We should have at least 2 (possibly 3) OL come in and make the 2 deep this fall.  We were extremely thin at OL during the spring game with 3 presumed starters on the sidelines (hermann, Genus, Warren).  We're gonna be ok this fall and we should be in great shape for 2010 on the OL.

i thought it was funny that before the spring game, people were so pumped about our TRANSFER and JUCO offensive linemen.. then were all of a sudden freaked out because they realized how crappy our o-line was at the spring game.. what the hell did you guys expect?  they are TRANSFERS.. on the o-line, we're gonna be screwed this year.

Were they even there? Savala and Rose or whoever..?

Nope.  They won't be at USF until this summer.

Last night we had a lot of shuffling of the OLine... and players who won't play a down this fall were on the field quite a bit.

Yes, it's a concern.. but it's not the end of the world.

• Content Count:  557

Were they even there? Savala and Rose or whoever..?

NO! THEY ARE PART OF THE 2009 CLASS!

All of the JUCO players are still at their respective colleges, they will come to campus the same time the rest of the 2009 recruits show up. Our OL WILL be better once they show up. So don't jump just yet...... On second thought, jump.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,645
  • Days Won:  424

I was very happy to see Colby Erskin not only in uniform, but making the final TD reception at the end of the game.  After all he has been through, it must have been great to be out there again.

They had him back as a PR, but they didn't allow returns.  I'm anxious to see if he hasn't lost too hasn't lost too much of the speed he had when first arrived here.

My thoughts, too. I know we have gotten a lot more talent since Colby last played but I'm still looking forward to seeing him out there. He made things happen ...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,645
  • Days Won:  424

Seriously, do you understand how college football works at all??

• Content Count:  4,879

Tressey's d will be exciting to watch.  It will win a game or two for us this year based on points scored by the D.  But it also my give up the big play more often than we're accustomed to.

• Content Count:  667

Seriously, do you understand how college football works at all??

actually i do, and i know you dont just plug a bunch of JUCO's and transfers and expect that them to function a peak capacity together on the offensive line.  maybe in other positions, but not on the line.  whenever there's attrition on the offensive line, it's a bad sign.. and when you're plugging in transfers and juco kids (which you shouldnt be building your program around anyways, ESPECIALLY the o-line), you're gonna get atrocious continuity.  regardless of if they were there or not, we still lost a lot and we're gonna be screwed on the line.  but from another thread, the only thing that matters to some of you is grothe running around like a chicken with his head cut off and being 'the all-time conference leader in yards'  :ROFLMAO  stats are for losers, records are for winners

• Content Count:  6,833
  • Days Won:  22

Please let me know what part about the OLine yesterday was new to you?

EVERYONE that has been folowing the Bulls knew full well that come fall at least TWO of the starting OLine are going to be JUCOs that did not play yesterday. TWO other Herrman and Genus also did not play. So it shouldnt had been a surprise that our Oline struggled yesterday.

You are correct the best way to build a good program its by getting those kids as freshmen, but the reality is that USF until maybe this year has not had the pull to get quality OLinemen (possibly the hardest position to recruit). With that said Bass and Zavala the two jucos are probably more talented thatn any OLinemen USF had on the roster. They are more battle tyested than any RS freshmen or sophomore we have..

The first THREE games will allow our team to incorporate these JOCO OLinemen as well as those that havent played much and  possibly onje of our freshmen ( Jacques) who is as talented as anybody we have had in the lines.

I will say that this year we will have more depth on the OLine than we have ever had before and the god thing is that they ALL return in 2010. Allowing us to build that continuity.

• Content Count:  1,797

Also, did Jake Sims play?  He is another o-lineman who probably had a minimal impact on last night's game but will play a huge role in our o-line in the fall.  I love how you point out that o-line continuity is important 3br, but then act surprised when we throw out an injury depleted group that is split into two opposing lines that has difficulty stopping our own d-line. 

I will agree with you for once, that the o-line is a concern.  That is why I predict that we will go 8-4 or 7-5 this coming season.  Knowing we will lose some games for me means not going ballistic on players and coaches when we lose.  Too bad others cannot figure this out.

Normal

Archived