• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Photos of Nick's rescue (coast guard website)

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Think of it this way.  Cold air temp, cold water, bouncing around in 13 foot seas for 2 days, on the bottom of a slippery boat with no handles, and all alone with no one around.  Would really suck, the guy is lucky to be alive. 

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  808
  • Days Won:  0

I don't know if hypothermia is really an issue.  What's the temperature of the Gulf this time of year?

I read somewhere that it was around 68.

68 is definitely an issue. Water temp is alot different than air temp, since water absorbs body heat MUCH faster. Diving in FL springs (72 degrees) can chill you and zap your energy. I'm guessing he stayed on top of the hull most of the time.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  1,231

Well lucky for them the cold weather forced most of the shark population down South of Key West...

Drowning, hypothermia and sharks are the 3 to be worried about. I would be more afraid of the sharks then freezing to death.

If I was in their predicament, sharks would be the least of my worries. Hypothermia would clearly be #1.

• Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I don't know if hypothermia is really an issue.  What's the temperature of the Gulf this time of year?

68 is definitely an issue. Water temp is alot different than air temp, since water absorbs body heat MUCH faster. Diving in FL springs (72 degrees) can chill you and zap your energy. I'm guessing he stayed on top of the hull most of the time.

Okay, I did some research.  According to NOAA, the gulf off of St. Pete is 68.2 degrees.  According to boatsafe.com one could survive 2-40 hours at that temperature.  The real problem is exhaustion sets in at 2-7 hours.  Without a life vest, drowning would be more likely.

Okay, I did some research.  According to NOAA, the gulf off of St. Pete is 68.2 degrees.  According to boatsafe.com one could survive 2-40 hours at that temperature.  The real problem is exhaustion sets in at 2-7 hours.  Without a life vest, drowning would be more likely.

I saw the same chart. Hopefully the report that the other three had PFD's on is true. And then hopefully they can make it to the higher end of the hours of survival range given the water temperature.

• Content Count:  3,749

Well lucky for them the cold weather forced most of the shark population down South of Key West...

Drowning, hypothermia and sharks are the 3 to be worried about. I would be more afraid of the sharks then freezing to death.

If I was in their predicament, sharks would be the least of my worries. Hypothermia would clearly be #1.

Why worry about hypothermia? Your gonna get it eventually. I would rather die by slipping into a coma then be torn apart by sharks.

Why worry about hypothermia? Your gonna get it eventually. I would rather die by slipping into a coma then be torn apart by sharks.

As I said before and given the circumstances, the odds of getting eaten by sharks is much less than succumbing to hypothermia. I have spent 100's of hours diving in the gulf and sharks aren't a problem. And the hope is you are found before hypothermia completely sets in.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  2,527

Man, this REALLY SUX!  Doesn't look like they're going to find Will (or the others,) in time.

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

I think it would be a display of class and concern for the families if we held off on discussing the multiple ways these men could perish, and taking a position on which would be better.  Come on.  Real people here.  Let's keep that in mind.

• Content Count:  7,379

I think it would be a display of class and concern for the families if we held off on discussing the multiple ways these men could perish, and taking a position on which would be better.  Come on.  Real people here.  Let's keep that in mind.

I would agree Brad, I beleive many may have forgotten that this board is home to people directly involved in this situation. I doubt people would be having these conversations if this involved their family directly.  My stomach is in my throat right now, I keep checking to hear good news. I've only met the Bleakley's once or twice but they are such nice people and they do not deserve this pain and suffering. I'm not very religious but I am praying for Will and his family.

Archived