• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Photos of Nick's rescue (coast guard website)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  37,650
  • Days Won:  29

... the guy is lucky to be alive. 

I would say luck is only part. His will to live is a big part.

Brad,

I agree with you comment. We're talking about one of our "family". After checking on ESPN News & Bay News 9 through the night and no news ...  :'(

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

I think it would be a display of class and concern for the families if we held off on discussing the multiple ways these men could perish, and taking a position on which would be better.  Come on.  Real people here.  Let's keep that in mind.

Agreed. 

I can say I have been worried about them the entire time, and as they are USF and Bucs, I think we all feel connected to them.

The worst part is, as a boater, I feel sort of angry at them as this was avoidable.  I know that sounds like of wierd, but it is how I feel.  Not that it is the same thing, but it is like when someone dies in a car accident for driving too fast or running a red light.  It was avoidable with just a few simple precautions.  Even on a good day, I wouldn't have gone out in a single engine boat 40 miles, nor stayed out when the weather picked up, nor been on a boat without an emergency beacon and/or satellite phone, etc..    This is a terrible situation and it was avoidable with a little bit of boating common sense - that is what makes it so terrible and senseless.  I feel for their families, and for Nick as he has to live with this his entire life. 

I am sure I speak for most when I say my thoughts and prayers are with their families and their friends at this time.

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  2,277
  • Days Won:  0

Well lucky for them the cold weather forced most of the shark population down South of Key West...

Drowning, hypothermia and sharks are the 3 to be worried about. I would be more afraid of the sharks then freezing to death.

If I was in their predicament, sharks would be the least of my worries. Hypothermia would clearly be #1.

Why worry about hypothermia? Your gonna get it eventually. I would rather die by slipping into a coma then be torn apart by sharks.

As I said before and given the circumstances, the odds of getting eaten by sharks is much less than succumbing to hypothermia. I have spent 100's of hours diving in the gulf and sharks aren't a problem. And the hope is you are found before hypothermia completely sets in.

Yes, you are correct.  As a Gulf diver, sharks leave you alone unless you're spearfishing and have some 'treats' on your stringer for them.

Archived