• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Does USF have the coaching staff needed to win BCS Games?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

After watching The Sugar Bowl and The Orange Bowl I was curious about others thoughts on whether USF has coaching staff needed to win big Games.

we cant even compete for big east title

usfs'staff is terrible

schiano and cinncny coaching staff reigns supreme over usf

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Leavitt cant even finish top 3 in the Big Easy. Give me a break. Unless CJL hires quality assistants, he will never accomplish anything else here. I think its possible CJL has taken us as far as he can.

or as low as he can

::)

Guess Saban is in trouble, lost the 2 "big" games ... 1 a BCS against a non-BCS team . . . He's lost it !

the difference, my CJL apologist friend, is that Saban coached his team TO a BCS game in the first place.

CJL never has... which means your analogy--- as snarky and sarcastic as it was--- is not a valid one.

fact is, USF doesn't have the coaching staff to get to a BCS game in the first place, so clearly we don't have the coaching staff to win one.

hell, i don't think there is anyone in BullNation that wouldn't trade our season or any of our "big wins" over the past 3-4 years for Saban's 12-2 season, even if it meant losing to Utah in a BCS bowl.

Since USF has played in the Big East, only 20 schools have made a BCS bowl game (1 in 6):

Big East: West Virginia (2), Cincinnati, Louisville

ACC: Virginia Tech (2), Florida State, Wake Forest

Big 10: Ohio State (4), Penn State (2), Michigan, Illinois

Big 12: Oklahoma (3), Texas (2),

Pac 10: USC (4)

SEC: Florida (2), LSU (2), Georgia (2),

MWC: Utah (2)

WAC: Boise State, Hawaii

Ind: Notre Dame (2)

Just because USF has not yet made the BCS does not mean the current coaching staff can not get us there...  remember, the coaches do not actually play the games.

I would counter, that USF has not had the players to get us to a BCS game... remember, the seniors graduating today started at USF when the Bulls were in Conference USA.  This is our last crop of "C-USA level talent" ... now we're starting to get BCS level talent with experience...

Cincy and UofL both made it with C-USA talent. We out recruit cincy every year. we signed as many 3 and 4 star recruits in 2004 as cincy signed in a 4 year period (2004-2007) - 9. They didn't have any 4 star recruits during that period.

You left Alabama and Kansas off your list.

Umm, difference...Legit C-USA talent (and C-USA was much better back then, I think UL was ranked pretty much every year). USF had been in C-USA for one season I think before it was announced that we were heading to the BE. CJL didn't ever really have a chance to even build a C-USA team. You people are insane. CJL has done a tremendous job getting us where we are this fast. In 2002, we were not in a conference. Here we are 6 years later ******** about not having won a BCS conference yet. Hilarious.

Give it time boys and girls. Without bringing in Bill Parcells to oversee things, we are going to have to build a program with less money and less tradition than most. As for Saban, how hard is it to recruit to Alabama...really.

CJL is the right man for the job, I do think we need to upgrade a few assistant positions (OC, OL, DL maybe).

great job 2-5 in biig east

cOAch of the year

give leavitt an extension great job

usf finished closaer to last then first-GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MAN WE HAVE SOME DUMB FANS

::)

Guess Saban is in trouble, lost the 2 "big" games ... 1 a BCS against a non-BCS team . . . He's lost it !

HAHAHHA

every coach on saban's staff is better than leavitt

• Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

I created this post to draw a comparison between Utah and USF.

Utah is in the Mountain West Conference and they beat Alabama from the SEC in the Sugar Bowl.  When I looked that recruits that Utah gets and compared them to USF they are about the same.  I feel comfortable to say that USF has better atheletes than Utah but Utah has better coached players than USF and that was what propelled Utah to a victory over Alabama.

How does Utah get an OC like Andy Ludwig, who is now with Kansas State, and USF can not get one?

http://www.kstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=3070&SPID=212&DB_OEM_ID=400&ATCLID=3634537&Q_SEASON=2009

In order for a team to go to a BCS game and win a BCS game they have to plan, practice and play at a high level.  In the new Big East Louisville and West Virgina use to play at that high level with Petrinio and Rodriguez. Since those two coaches left I have not seen any Big East Team play at the at level. 

The reason why Cincy lost to VA tech is because Beamer has been to the Big BCS game before. He knew how to prepare his players and how to keep their focus.  When I look across the USF staff there is  no one on that staff that has been to a game like that with the exception of Franks.

It is more than just the recruits it about coaching the players and preparing them to play. I am not sure USF can get to that level with this staff.

• Content Count:  342
  • Days Won:  0

Plain and simple...NO.  Leavitt has taken USF as far as he can and the level of talent doesn't matter...ie Utah over Alabama.  Hell that was WAC team...Alabama lost to a freaking WAC team.  Was Saban out coached...ehhh maybe...Alabama went into the game with too much swagger and cockiness.

If the level of coaching doesn't improve you are looking at 2-3 years of losing seasons while USF "rebuilds".  I mean baddddddddddddd losing seasons, where may only may win 2 or 3 games total each year.

Utah in the WAC... ??? ...Um... No, wrong conference

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

I think we are close with having the players just need to get bigger on both lines but the coaching isn't even close to what we

need to win a bcs game.  Burnham is the only good coach on the staff.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

I have been pretty critical of the staff lately, as have most others, and with good reason.  However, if we're going to make statements that the staff as a whole stinks or can't coach themselves out of a paper bag, then who gets credit for being in the top 10 two years in a row?  Players?  Over-exuberant pollsters?  The shortfalls of the offensive coaching staff has been beaten to death, and it is primarily that area that is the issue and which has regressed or stagnated the last couple of years.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

Umm, difference...Legit C-USA talent (and C-USA was much better back then, I think UL was ranked pretty much every year). USF had been in C-USA for one season I think before it was announced that we were heading to the BE. CJL didn't ever really have a chance to even build a C-USA team. You people are insane. CJL has done a tremendous job getting us where we are this fast. In 2002, we were not in a conference. Here we are 6 years later ******** about not having won a BCS conference yet. Hilarious.

Give it time boys and girls. Without bringing in Bill Parcells to oversee things, we are going to have to build a program with less money and less tradition than most. As for Saban, how hard is it to recruit to Alabama...really.

CJL is the right man for the job, I do think we need to upgrade a few assistant positions (OC, OL, DL maybe).

these excuses are getting real f**king pathetic.

in 20 years, the same ******* people will be using the "we've only excited for 32 years as a program!  we don't have as much tradition as XYZ programs!!" excuses.

did Utah need "BCS-level recruits" to win a BCS bowl?

did Boise?

did Hawai need "BCS level recruits" to get to a BCS bowl game?

give me a break.

we've never done better than 4-3 in conference play.

there is absolutely no indication that Leavitt and crew know how to compete on a weekly basis in a BCS conference, nevermind actually WIN one and get us to a BCS bowl.

we are in a hotbed of high school football talent, and we actually have people saying we aren't as talented as f**king Cincinnati or Hawaii.

the talent is here.  the coaching is not.

CJL's "loyalty" to the scrubs on his staff and his inability to put together a competitive, competent coaching staff will be his downfall, and there will be nobody to blame but himself.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,704
  • Days Won:  108

Look, I'm not crazy about the OC and the playcalling, but he isn't the one who missed wide open receivers this year or fumbled the ball or threw picks.  Our turnover ratio was horrible this season.  Can't put all of that on the coaching staff (some, maybe).  The play calling the last couple of games seemed better, or maybe they just executed the plays better.  I still think we should keep the head coach for at least 2 - 3 more years.  Unless someone knows someone better that is available AND affordable.

This coaching topic just gets worn out.  Who is upping their donations this year to get a better OC (or to buy out a current coach's contract)?  Did I read in the St. Pete Times today that UF, LSU and a few other SEC teams bring in above $35 million a year in donations?  What are we at, $2.6 million?  Apples and oranges.  I admit that Cinci has scored a deal with their coach.  But then, they put up one score in their bowl game.  Their fans are probably calling for a coaching change as well.

Archived