• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501
  • Days Won:  0

Sorry Beastie but Denson has skills and probably would be the starter on this team right now.  A good passer but what he really brings to the QB position is the ability to make something out of nothing.  Very very mobile and that makes it tough on a defense.  Pure specultation but I think he will be playing next year at the QB slot.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  15
  • Content Count:  1,235
  • Days Won:  1

....  A good passer but what he really brings to the QB position is the ability to make something out of nothing...

Wow, too bad he can't play now because we have more "nothing" than I can ever remember.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,788
  • Days Won:  3

I think, once you start dipping into the third shirts, you're pretty much tossing in the towel on the season.

Are you willing to say - right here, right now - the season is a wash and we want to get this guy - who may very well wind up third-shirt next year - some game time?

As for the Auburn xfer. Everybody wants to be QB...but it could just be that CJL thinks this feller would make a pretty nice CB.  Just because you wanna be QB, doesn't necessarily mean the head coach is signing off  ;)

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,491
  • Days Won:  13

I think, once you start dipping into the third shirts, you're pretty much tossing in the towel on the season.

Are you willing to say - right here, right now - the season is a wash and we want to get this guy - who may very well wind up third-shirt next year - some game time?

As for the Auburn xfer. Everybody wants to be QB...but it could just be that CJL thinks this feller would make a pretty nice CB.  Just because you wanna be QB, doesn't necessarily mean the head coach is signing off  ;)

I don't think that dipping into the 3rd string QB's says that we've given up on the season (see Buccaneers, Tampa Bay)... but I don't think Gachette should start.

My point is ... if PJ goes 1 for 15 against UAB, how much worse could Gachette really be??  PJ was 1 for 15 for a reason - his throws were awful... I don't recall that many dropped passes that were really catchable.  To be sure, PJ could come out against UAB with more confidence, hit a few passes, and this thread becomes moot again.  But CJL needs to pull him faster against UAB - and try something REALLY new, like let's see what Gachette could do.

The only issue would be whether or not HE wants to lose a year of eligibiltiy by playing now.  Since we have a few QBs coming in next year, why wouldn't he try getting a leg up on them by coming into a game this year and proving what he can do on the field instead of in practice with the third string offense?

• Topic Count:  89
  • Content Count:  1,267

Do you guys think our play this year will help with recruiting a top QB because they feel they can start as a true freshman, or will top recruits be scared off because of our down season, and decide they dont want to take a gamble us.

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Sorry Beastie but Denson has skills and probably would be the starter on this team right now.  A good passer but what he really brings to the QB position is the ability to make something out of nothing.  Very very mobile and that makes it tough on a defense.  Pure specultation but I think he will be playing next year at the QB slot.

Have you seen him play QB, especially in college?

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,501

Well that is a stupid question Beastie since he hasn't played QB in college.  He has played in practices and he makes things happen.  Yes I saw him once in High School and he out classed everyone on the field.  He will have practiced with the team for a year and will be worlds ahead of anyone coming in.  Now if Hill or Grothe come in as true freshman and take the starting job that would be fabulus because they would be that good and four years of elgibilty.  i doubt that is going to happen but you never know and unless PJ steps up during the last five games(I am hopefull) Denson will be the man.  If you remember I told everyone before he played his first down of USF football that Andre Hall would be the man and he is.  Speculation on my part but I do have some good inside contacts and a little Knowledge of High School football.  Not the Bien level but a little.

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528

Wasn't the entire reason that Denson left Auburn because the coaching staff wouldn't give him a shot at competing for the QB position? They wanted to throw him in as a CB and keep him there. His desire was to play QB in college, not any other position. I though the was unhappy with Auburn's decisions and decided to come here because we promised him a chance to compete for the starting QB spot.....maybe someone else can elaborate?

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Well that is a stupid question Beastie since he hasn't played QB in college.  He has played in practices and he makes things happen.  Yes I saw him once in High School and he out classed everyone on the field.  He will have practiced with the team for a year and will be worlds ahead of anyone coming in.  Now if Hill or Grothe come in as true freshman and take the starting job that would be fabulus because they would be that good and four years of elgibilty.  i doubt that is going to happen but you never know and unless PJ steps up during the last five games(I am hopefull) Denson will be the man.  If you remember I told everyone before he played his first down of USF football that Andre Hall would be the man and he is.  Speculation on my part but I do have some good inside contacts and a little Knowledge of High School football.  Not the Bien level but a little.

Exactly.  I was a great HS pitcher and tried out at USF after I graduated.  Although I dominated in HS I was nowhere near good enough to be a pitcher at the Div. 1A level.  You say Denson is "making things happen" in practice?  Against whom?  The second or third string D?  Even if it's against the first string that doesn't amount to squat, cuz in case you missed the Army game, our D sucks.  

Denson has never seen the field as a college QB

Why didn't AU think he was good enough to play QB?  Historically they have not been the most pass happy program.

Another case of myopic thinking by our fans.  You are probably one of the people who thought we were "playing vanilla offense" in the Tenn Tech game.

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261

Beastie....not taking any sides here but I did see Denson play a few games in high school and he was very good.  Above average passer but great with the feet.  He was worlds better than PJ, Banks or anyone else we've signed in the last 5 years.  Hell, I think he was better than Blackwell was in high school.  Note, that doesn't necessarily translate to the college level.

Schools are after the best athletes they can get.  A number of schools "promise" a kid a shot to play QB just to get him on campus and then switch him to the position where they want him.  Denson is a GREAT athlete and I truely believe this was Auburn's motive.  Auburn signed at least 2 other QB's in his class and 2 the year before.  I'm not so sure he was ever given a fair shot at QB.  Think about it, if Auburn had anyone that could do just as good or just about as good at QB but they had a glaring weakness at DB, then it may have made sense for Auburn to switch him to DB without giving him a fair shot.  Not saying this happened but it is entirely possible.

I'll wait until I see Denson lined up at QB for USF before I make my judgement.  However, I'm as excited about his potential as I've been about any other QB to sign with USF.

Would I put him in the same class as McPhereson or Schaeffer?  NO!  Would I put him in the same class as Ingram?  YES!