• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

"Tough on Discipline" O'Leary doesn't suspend UCF finger-flippers

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Yeah, hey UCF fans?  Save that O'Leary loves discipline crap for a fan base that's going to buy it from here on out.

O'Leary = soft

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_ucf/2008/10/burnett-baldwin.html

UCF playmaker Joe Burnett and sophomore defensive back Darin Baldwin will not be suspended for being caught by ESPNU cameras flipping off Miami fans during the Knights' loss to the Hurricanes Saturday.

UCF issued a statement Monday night reprimanding the athletes for their actions. Burnett and Baldwin also apologized for making obscene gesture. The remainder of their punishment will be handled internally by the UCF coaching staff, but they will not be suspended for any games.

“I met this morning with both of them to discuss their behavior on the sideline on Saturday,†UCF Athletics Director Keith Tribble said in a UCF news release. “These actions will not be tolerated and I made it clear that any future instances of unsportsmanlike behavior will result in a suspension from competition.

"... It is my expectation that all of our student-athletes, while representing the University of Central Florida, will act in a manner of integrity, respect and honor. What Darin and Joe did this past Saturday was unacceptable and I made it abundantly clear that they are held to a higher standard.â€

Burnett made a two-handed, middle-finger gesture at the crowd. Baldwin's two-handed, middle-finger salute was slightly more hidden because he was also making the Hurricanes' "U" symbol.

"I apologize for letting my emotions get the best of me on Saturday," Burnett said in the UCF news release. "What I did was wrong and I am sorry. My goal is to be a leader of this team and do things the right way.â€

Baldwin said in the news release, “I am very sorry for my mistake on Saturday. It was very poor judgment and I apologize for it.  I promise to better represent UCF in the future.â€

Conference USA officials could still take action against Baldwin and Burnett.

"We are aware of the situation and it is inconsistent with our sportsmanship principles,†Conference USA assistant commissioner Russ Anderson said. “We are addressing it with UCF.â€

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

hmm... but O'Leary suspended Kevin Smith for wearing the wrong color sucks to a team workout (or something equally benign, depending on what UCFer you hear) from the most important game of UCF's season a couple years back.

Yeah, whatever... I think most UCF fans are pretty much done with O'Leary, but this more or less puts an end to the non-sense many of them push about their program being so ethical and doing everything the right way.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,331
  • Days Won:  10

Even Wanny booted his player for flipping off our student section on TV.

Wanny>GOL

Hell, Wierd Al Yankovic>GOL

• Content Count:  4,879
  • Days Won:  0

they better hope that internal punishment isn't administered by the baseball coach.....

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,331
  • Days Won:  10

they better hope that internal punishment isn't administered by the baseball coach.....

OUCH!!! >:D

• Content Count:  6,814
  • Days Won:  22

Maybe hell suspend them for this weekend's game

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

ROFL... **** that is funny

• Content Count:  4,016

Even Wanny booted his player for flipping off our student section on TV.

Wanny>GOL

Hell, Wierd Al Yankovic>GOL

GOL didn't address it because he's mad that the Sentinel misrepresented the facts, those kids were actually giving a gesture that's commonly accepted as endearing in Miami.  Oh, and he's sending the video to the conference for official review. ;D

• Content Count:  684

Yeah, hey UCF fans?  Save that O'Leary loves discipline crap for a fan base that's going to buy it from here on out.

O'Leary = soft

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_ucf/2008/10/burnett-baldwin.html

UCF playmaker Joe Burnett and sophomore defensive back Darin Baldwin will not be suspended for being caught by ESPNU cameras flipping off Miami fans during the Knights' loss to the Hurricanes Saturday.

UCF issued a statement Monday night reprimanding the athletes for their actions. Burnett and Baldwin also apologized for making obscene gesture. The remainder of their punishment will be handled internally by the UCF coaching staff, but they will not be suspended for any games.

“I met this morning with both of them to discuss their behavior on the sideline on Saturday,†UCF Athletics Director Keith Tribble said in a UCF news release. “These actions will not be tolerated and I made it clear that any future instances of unsportsmanlike behavior will result in a suspension from competition.

"... It is my expectation that all of our student-athletes, while representing the University of Central Florida, will act in a manner of integrity, respect and honor. What Darin and Joe did this past Saturday was unacceptable and I made it abundantly clear that they are held to a higher standard.â€

Burnett made a two-handed, middle-finger gesture at the crowd. Baldwin's two-handed, middle-finger salute was slightly more hidden because he was also making the Hurricanes' "U" symbol.

"I apologize for letting my emotions get the best of me on Saturday," Burnett said in the UCF news release. "What I did was wrong and I am sorry. My goal is to be a leader of this team and do things the right way.â€

Baldwin said in the news release, “I am very sorry for my mistake on Saturday. It was very poor judgment and I apologize for it.  I promise to better represent UCF in the future.â€

Conference USA officials could still take action against Baldwin and Burnett.

"We are aware of the situation and it is inconsistent with our sportsmanship principles,†Conference USA assistant commissioner Russ Anderson said. “We are addressing it with UCF.â€

been saying that for over 5 years........  kool aid always strong in otown

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,511
  • Days Won:  422

Come on, guys, they've got a CUSA crown to defend ..... if he suspends Burnett, he suspends his leading scorer.

Archived