• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I hope USF never gets to the point where....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  0

Does anyone remember when we were just praying to be in a bowl game?

CJL got us to where we are today. Show some respect.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

I haven't criticized CJL in this thread.  I just get irked by the canonization that takes place on this board with regard to CJL.  I believe the assessment of CJL's performance by others departs from reality.  And when a person's assessment of a situation isn't tempered in reality, they do themselves, or the organization they safeguard (USF in this case), a huge disservice.

We got people on this board comparing CJL to Bowden (I've addressed this ludicrous comparison in an earlier post) and Bryant (multiple championships himself).  Who on earth does this. . . . we've never finished higher than 3rd in an 8 team conference.

And to all the intellectually dishonest ladies and gents that then wish to shift their argument from CJL's bottom line results to the "we've come so far so fast" line (like it matters in sports. . . or business), I temper your assertion with this fact:  FAU obliterated our record with which it reached (and won) a bowl. . . . . does anyone on here wish to compare Schnellenberger (who actually has a ring) to Bowden or Bryant?  I didn't think so.

For now, I am absolutely happy that CJL is coach.  For a few years now, he has had to deal with expectations (yes, expectations he created himself) . . . . . the results are mixed.  Just scares me with regard to USF's future when people ignore reality and head straight to fantasyland by comparing him to Bowden or Bryant.

Cold as this sounds, I don't care much for what CJL did in the past.  its about what he is doing now and how he makes me feel heading toward the future.  Another team I like, the Buccaneers, were rescued by Tony Dungy.  A talented team leveled off for Dungy and the Glazers made a tough, unpopular decision and the bucs hoisted the lombardi less than a year later. . . . a cold hard truth.

• Content Count:  505

I guess people forget that Leavitt has been doing this with less.  Think about how tough it had to be to recruit to USF when you only had trailers and no real athletic center.  Don't forget that we played in CUSA with DI-AA players and we competed with programs that had been around a lot longer and some were having some success.  Don't forget that we are playing in the BE, a BCS conference, with what are really CUSA players (our jr and sr players were recruited while in CUSA, might even be able to lump in some of the so. as well, key word here is when they were recruited not signed). 

The first year or two in the BE, the BE was fighting the perception that they would lose the BCS tag.  Look at what Harrison Beck said before the NCST game, he never considered USF because he wanted to go to a major program.  We just cracked the rankings for the first time last year, probably too late to have a big impact on recruiting.  Here we are again in the rankings and getting so much publicity.  This year's recruiting should be our best ever, but we still have a way to go before we are a major program.  I still think we have another 4, 5, 6 years before our recruiting is at a level to legitimately compete for a national title.  Even then it is really tough to be a consistent top ten team.  Just ask Tennessee, Michigan, Alabama, Penn State, FSU, Miami, etc..  Look at all those schools have and they still have/had trouble staying on top.  To expect USF to already be at that level is crazy. 

The fact we are were we are is a testament to how great Leavitt has been to our school.  He has been doing more with less, while other coaches have been doing less with more.  How can anyone say Leavitt has not been great?  Oh we lost to Pitt.  Don't forget that Pitt has had top ranked recruiting classes for the last few years, and those players are just now cracking the line up. Wait until they get a QB.  They will be a force in the BE.  Also, with all the injuries we have had on defense, we couldn't get our offense on the field enough for them to get going.  I don't blame Leavitt for Mompremier getting hurt, or Selvie, or McClain.  Everyone wants it right now, but they don't want to work for it.  Look where that got our financial system.  Patience, enjoy the great ride we have had and will have. 

Also name one school who doesn't lose a game they shouldn't, USC (Stanford, Oregon St)?, LSU (2 losses last year), UF? (Ole Miss).  If you want to melt down and fire the coach after losses like these then you might as well give up now.  Every team, every year, will lose.  Welcome to college football.

• Content Count:  743

Man, when I opened this thread I thought it was going to be another fire GG thread. Instead smazza get everyone riled up on getting rid of CJL? well done smazza.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,640
  • Days Won:  424

And to all the intellectually dishonest ladies and gents that then wish to shift their argument from CJL's bottom line results to the "we've come so far so fast" line (like it matters in sports. . . or business), I temper your assertion with this fact:  FAU obliterated our record with which it reached (and won) a bowl. . . . . does anyone on here wish to compare Schnellenberger (who actually has a ring) to Bowden or Bryant?  I didn't think so.

I've got no problem with most of what you said except for this. It sounds like you are downplaying the "we've come so far so fast" angle by comparing us to FAU and implying they've come further faster, or even close... Are you kidding me? They've only beaten 1 BCS school EVER, a horrible Minnesota team, and it was in FAU's 7th year of existence. We beat our 1st BCS school in our 4th year of existence and it was a BCS team that went to and actually won a bowl game. To even bring up their bowl appearance and win like that was some huge accomplishment over us is a freaking joke .... THAT is intellectual dishonesty.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,704
  • Days Won:  108

I haven't criticized CJL in this thread.  I just get irked by the canonization that takes place on this board with regard to CJL.  I believe the assessment of CJL's performance by others departs from reality.  And when a person's assessment of a situation isn't tempered in reality, they do themselves, or the organization they safeguard (USF in this case), a huge disservice.

We got people on this board comparing CJL to Bowden (I've addressed this ludicrous comparison in an earlier post) and Bryant (multiple championships himself).  Who on earth does this. . . . we've never finished higher than 3rd in an 8 team conference.

And to all the intellectually dishonest ladies and gents that then wish to shift their argument from CJL's bottom line results to the "we've come so far so fast" line (like it matters in sports. . . or business), I temper your assertion with this fact:  FAU obliterated our record with which it reached (and won) a bowl. . . . . does anyone on here wish to compare Schnellenberger (who actually has a ring) to Bowden or Bryant?   I didn't think so.

For now, I am absolutely happy that CJL is coach.  For a few years now, he has had to deal with expectations (yes, expectations he created himself) . . . . . the results are mixed.  Just scares me with regard to USF's future when people ignore reality and head straight to fantasyland by comparing him to Bowden or Bryant.

Cold as this sounds, I don't care much for what CJL did in the past.  its about what he is doing now and how he makes me feel heading toward the future.  Another team I like, the Buccaneers, were rescued by Tony Dungy.  A talented team leveled off for Dungy and the Glazers made a tough, unpopular decision and the bucs hoisted the lombardi less than a year later. . . . a cold hard truth.

Not a Bowden or Bryant but a great coach IMHO.  Really surprised how FAU regressed this year.

• Content Count:  126

ESPN has CJL rated as one of the top 25 coaches in the country. No other coach would have stayed at USF when Bama came knocking. We owe him our loyalty coach Gregory still has a lot to prove but I think we have a good staff for the money we pay.

• Content Count:  4,879

ESPN has CJL rated as one of the top 25 coaches in the country. No other coach would have stayed at USF when Bama came knocking. We owe him our loyalty coach Gregory still has a lot to prove but I think we have a good staff for the money we pay.

wow; a voice of reason on just his 5th post!  there may still be hope.

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually agree with smazza.  We all love CJL and want him to be the one to lead us to the promised land.  BUT if he doesn't do it soon, maybe a coaching change would be in order.  Don't want to see that happen, but just saying...

do it soon? So what you are saying is if USF doesn't win a National championship in just 10 years after going Division I-A we should fire the architect of the program?

Some of you guys don't get it.

When Leavitt's recruiting budget or facilities  is on par with other programs perhaps it may be time to even consider the idea. Until then its up to the fans to show up to games and support the program.

Some of you are sucking all the fun of rising through the ranks.....

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

Earth to crybabies....."WE HAVE SPENT THE MAJORITY OF THE LAST 2 YEARS IN THE TOP 25!"

What exactly is your problem? Did anyone even think this was possible 5 years ago?

Give Leavitt the same resources as other Top25 programs before you try to find somebody better.

$%@!^$

Archived