• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Attention Mike Ford

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

I still hear that Ford isn't in true football shape.  I also still hear he doesn't go 100% at practice.

The coaches shouldn't let the players run the program.  If he doesn't practice he doesn't play.  It's Ford's fault we're losing games.  Not the coaches.

Do you watch the games? Every time he is in there, he runs the ball down peoples throats. Regardless if he isnt in football playing shape, or he doesnt pratice well, he is obviously the best running back we have.  Why would you not play him

Most USF fans will always give the coaching staff the benefit of the doubt.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

Why is anyone enamored by Mike Ford?  He never breaks a big run and he dances East/West way too much for a bigger back.  

I've noticed this. When he was running at his best last night, he found the hole and hit it right away, no dancing.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Why is anyone enamored by Mike Ford?  He never breaks a big run and he dances East/West way too much for a bigger back.  

I've noticed this. When he was running at his best last night, he found the hole and hit it right away, no dancing.

I have to disagree with this. To me, it looks like he is a patient runner that lets his blocks develop. If you watch the great NFL running backs, they do the same thing. You can't just pound it in there and expect things to happen. You wait on the block, then accelerate through the hole. Ford IMHO has great vision and patience. That's why he was so good in HS, and why he is going to be a beast for us if we start getting the ball to him more.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

I have to disagree with this. To me, it looks like he is a patient runner that lets his blocks develop. If you watch the great NFL running backs, they do the same thing. You can't just pound it in there and expect things to happen. You wait on the block, then accelerate through the hole. Ford IMHO has great vision and patience. That's why he was so good in HS, and why he is going to be a beast for us if we start getting the ball to him more.

but will we start getting him the ball more?

There is no reason that Mo Plancer or Ben Williams should be in the game on 1st or 2nd down ever. Williams would be a good 3rd down back in obvious passing downs.

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

I still hear that Ford isn't in true football shape.  I also still hear he doesn't go 100% at practice.

The coaches shouldn't let the players run the program.  If he doesn't practice he doesn't play.  It's Ford's fault we're losing games.  Not the coaches.

Do you watch the games? Every time he is in there, he runs the ball down peoples throats. Regardless if he isnt in football playing shape, or he doesnt pratice well, he is obviously the best running back we have.  Why would you not play him

I didn't say we shouldn't play him.  I just said that's why he's not the featured back.  He gets around 15 carries because of his talent.  If he came to practice with something to prove and hit the weights and got in shape he'd carry the ball 30 times a game.

He's not in shape to carry the ball 30 times.  Coaches would rather hand it to fresh RBs, who are pretty good by the way, than a dog tired lack of effort Mike Ford.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

but will we start getting him the ball more?

There is no reason that Mo Plancer or Ben Williams should be in the game on 1st or 2nd down ever. Williams would be a good 3rd down back in obvious passing downs.

...because Ford doesn't have good hands? Not calling you out, just pointing out that people have been talking about Ford's flaws for the last 2 years, and he had a huge BLOCK last night, and had 2 big catches last week. Umm, he's a complete back folks. Ford and Taylor should be our guys. Ben and Mo are phenomenal back-ups, but they aren't BCS-full-time-running-backs.

• Content Count:  253
  • Days Won:  0

He seemed to be in pretty good "football" shape in the second half.  On the series that we scored, I think he carried the ball at least 6 times.  I really think the running back by committee is hurting us.  We need to go with 2 backs.  Run Ford until he is tired and then bring in the second option.  I like Ben Williams, but I think the opposing defenses realize when he comes in, it's for pass protection the majority of the time.    

• Content Count:  308

Attached is a picture from fan day of my son with 26.

He does look a little chubby (for a running back, not for a gravtationaly challenged 45 year old white collar guy).  Physique wise he's no Michael Pittman but he sure is good

IMG_3874.JPG

• Content Count:  203

I know this topic is like beating a dead horse...but isn't Ford only a sophomore?  That means we still have 2 years left of him...and he is pretty injury prone ala Willis McGahee type.  

Hopefully if he needs to get into shape, he will, if he needs to practice harder, he will, and we'll still have a bad ass RB for the last 6 games this year and a bowl game, and for 2 more years after this.

everyone just calm down and enjoy USF football!

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

Man, FINALLY someone sees it.  Mike had the chance to break some BIG ones, and while he has no problem busting through and dragging tacklers for 5 more yards... in the open field if you lay a FINGER on him he goes down.  He has tremendous strength but lacks breakaway speed.

He is a power back and I would be surprised if he ever breaks a big TD run (say, 60+ yards) at USF.  That being said... he's a GREAT weapon to have, but he is by no means the savior of this team.

Archived