• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Another basketBull commitment

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Some people's expectations on this board baffle me. As mentioned before we were down to walk-ons last season. We are not going to be world beaters this year either, the key is that we are BUILDING and IMPROVING each game and hopefully each year. Give it some time.

Wow we're really starting to sound like UCFers when it comes to our basketball program.   Now we're all about "character" and "improvement".  blah, blah, blah.....Yeah our basketball team is improving about as much as ucf's football team.  Although I will say that at least we aren't paying our bball coach 4 million.  

Never thought we would sink to these depths.  Unfortunately under our new leadership we have.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  999
  • Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

chicken1.jpg

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  1,528
  • Days Won:  0

Wow we're really starting to sound like UCFers when it comes to our basketball program.   Now we're all about "character" and "improvement".  blah, blah, blah.....Yeah our basketball team is improving about as much as ucf's football team.  Although I will say that at least we aren't paying our bball coach 4 million.  

Never thought we would sink to these depths.  Unfortunately under our new leadership we have.

Beastie I never said anything about character, I could care less if we have character players on par with Cincy, however, if you are not interested in IMPROVEMENTS with our team I don't know what you are looking for. I'm pretty certain we've only played 1 season under Coach Mac. We haven't even got to see if the team has improved from year 1 to year 2 yet. What exactly are your expectations with the team this year?

::goodbye::Chicken little, eh, i mean, Beastie just likes to complain.

He had it out for this coach prior to him ever stepping on campus, thought it was a bad hire, and now will say anything to make it look like he knew what he was talking about.   ::goodbye::

Guest HowieP1

Speaking of local players, where is Jerron McCiskill?

010515b.jpg

Jerron McCiskill 6'8 from Lakeland was evidently supposed to be playing for Shaw University, but I didn't see him listed on their roster.

He was very high on USF but originally didn't qualify. He then went to Fort Scott where he was later dismissed from that team, I think, for fighting in a game.

Web posted Saturday, June 26, 2004

Hot Boyz shine in streetball tourney

By DANIEL PREKOPA

daniel.prekopa@newschief.com

AUBURNDALE - The second annual What Does It Take To Be No.1 Mens Indoor Street-ball tournament kicked off Friday at the Tracy McGrady gymnasium, with McGrady in the house as a spectator.

In the first game, a depleted Haines City team fell to a much taller Tampa team 71-65, and in the second game, Shaw University player and Lakeland native Jerron McCiskill awed the crowd in leading the Winter Haven Hot Boyz to a 65-52 win over Orlando NSL in front of a large crowd at the gym.

Winter Haven will play Mississippi at 11 a.m. and Haines City will play at 4 p.m. today.

Teams played two halves with a 20-minute running clock with the last two minutes played at regulation. FHSAA rules applied, but in most cases were loosely enforced as the teams entertained the crowd with a high-tempo, energetic style of play.

Taking in the games as a spectator, McGrady said it is always good to come home and have fun with his friends in Auburndale.

"There have been some good games. There's a lot of great talent in there," McGrady said. "It's a good chance for guys to win money and have some fun."

One of the players showing off his talent on Friday was McCiskill, who scored 14 points in Winter Haven's victory. He dazzled the crowd with his ball handling skills, especially late in the game when the Hot Boyz pulled away for good. Late in the third quarter, his crossover dribble had several Orlando players falling off-balance, drawing a big response from the crowd.

McCiskill said the format was good for the players to be able to show their skills.

"It was great to go out and run up and down the court," he said.

Winter Haven used the 3-pointer to grab the early lead from Orlando, draining seven shots from behind the arch in taking a 31-18 advantage late in the first half.

Orlando went on a late 9-0 run to cut the lead to 31-27, but Winter Haven scored the last four points of the half to take a 35-27 lead.

The lead was cut to 45-40 early in the second half before McCiskill and company pulled away for the easy win.

In the early game, Haines City went up against a Tampa team led by 6-foot-9 Pervis Pasco, who dominated play for Tampa in the victory.

Haines City, playing the style of basketball that Haines City teams are most known for, fell behind early in the game. Haines City used its speed to push the ball up the floor to make the game close, but the big men for Tampa took over late for the easy win.

"We definitely had a big advantage with the height," Pasco said.

Haines City coach Shearman Dale said with the team missing most of it's big players, the team had to fight its way back into the game.

"That's the Haines City style. We're always undersized. We've got to get out and run," Dale said.

Antonio Berry, who was apart of the Hornets state championship team, led Haines City with 16 points.

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

COACH MAC NEEDS  2 more years

Guest HowieP1

I see I answered my own question.  ;D

There have been some good games. There's a lot of great talent in there," McGrady said. "It's a good chance for guys to win money and have some fun."

• Topic Count:  135
  • Content Count:  3,809
  • Days Won:  4

Beastie I never said anything about character, I could care less if we have character players on par with Cincy, however, if you are not interested in IMPROVEMENTS with our team I don't know what you are looking for. I'm pretty certain we've only played 1 season under Coach Mac. We haven't even got to see if the team has improved from year 1 to year 2 yet. What exactly are your expectations with the team this year?

My expectation?  Eh, I don't know....is asking for TWO conference wins too much?

The same people looking for improvement as a barometer for this program will be satisfied when Mac has us as an "improved team" in the bottom 1/3 of the BE.  I will not be satisfied with this.  We are the ONLY BE program in the Lower Southeast portion of the US.   We are the second largest school in this region.  We will be playing on ESPN tons more than most schools in this region.  Based on this alone we should be snagging only the best players from this region.  Instead we are getting also rans and projects and are SATISFIED!!!!!!...with Konimba Diarra as our center???!!!  People need to wake up.

Bock, bock, bgock!!

Beastie, it is you who are sleeping... your expectations are way too high for the first year of Macs term.   Plain and simple.  Relax, take your medications, and then in 2 years, come back and tell us how bad mac is and how a .500 big east record isn't good enough.

Bock, bock, bgock!!

At least you know you are chicken little ;D

• Topic Count:  73
  • Content Count:  1,261
  • Days Won:  0

My expectations this year is a 10 win season.

7-5 OCC

3-13 Conf

12 wins is not unrealistic.  15 would be significantly exceeding my expectations and I'd be ready for a year extension.

2005.....who knows what our OCC schedule will look like or the strength of the conference like but I'd expect us to be .750 OCC and win 1/4 of our conference games.  12  or 13 win season, just below .500.

2006....again, don't know the schedule or the strength of the conference but I'd expect us to be .750 OCC and win at least 1/3 of our conference games.  15 win season at .500.

2007 and beyond we should all be hoping for no less than .500 for the season and hopefully no less than .500 in conference.  .500 in conference and a .750 OCC and we'll qualify for the NCAA's most years and at least the NIT in other years.  Step the conference record to 1 or 2 games above .500 with a .750 OCC and your guaranteed to be dancing.