• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

playing down to competition

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,523
  • Days Won:  0

This is ALL COACHING fellas.  Want to see how you know?  Look at every point where the offense isn't putting up points and you'll see there's a lack of downfield passing.

This team is PERFECT for throwing the ball all over the place.  Want to know why we didn't put up jack on FIU?  How many pass plays over 10 yards did we have?  Don't even get me started on how many passes PERIOD we had in the second half...

You can't expect an offense to churn out large amounts of points in CLOCK KILLING MODE.

We only lit up Kansas when we started using our talent correctly...BURNING THEIR DBs...

We have fast guys and a QB who can throw it deep well, why not use it?

Finally, someone else that has noticed what I've been preaching for two days now. We need to throw the **** ball.

Problem with our passing attack is when we go 5 wide and the other team sends a LB or 2, there is no one in the backfield to block which results in:

a) Grothe scrambles and he gains some yardage, or

B) Grothe scrambles, gets sacked and loses yardage, or

c) Grothe forces a pass (not happening as much this year), or

d) there is a quick pass that gains no yards.

I don't sit and break down film, but I get the feeling that our longest completions this year have not resulted from the empty backfield set.

You know how you bust HUGE plays against them bringing those LBs?

SLANTS!!!!!!!!

When was the last time you actually saw a slant?  Shoot, go 4 wide so you can have the RB draw option or the RB swing pass (imagine taylor or ford out there one on one after the two WRs on that side take their DBs deep or to the other side of the field on crosses.).

The main thing isn't the # of WRs on the field. It's the type of routes they are running.  They are always running these 3 yard button hooks and outs/ins which basically negates our WR's size and speed advantages.

Get these guys running 15 yard plus patterns taking their guys deeper and then if they blitz and Grothe is rolling out (which we aren't doing as much of this year I've noticed); then those 2-3 yard runs become 5-6 yard runs which change the complexion of what you can do on the next down.  We're not even talking about the big plays which we could get from someone like Hill making a decent block down field for him.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,403

This is ALL COACHING fellas.  Want to see how you know?  Look at every point where the offense isn't putting up points and you'll see there's a lack of downfield passing.

This team is PERFECT for throwing the ball all over the place.  Want to know why we didn't put up jack on FIU?  How many pass plays over 10 yards did we have?  Don't even get me started on how many passes PERIOD we had in the second half...

You can't expect an offense to churn out large amounts of points in CLOCK KILLING MODE.

We only lit up Kansas when we started using our talent correctly...BURNING THEIR DBs...

Finally, someone else that has noticed what I've been preaching for two days now. We need to throw the **** ball.

Uh, except it was the 3rd quarter of the Kansas game when Jamar Taylor got most of his 72 yards (6.5 ypc in the game).  That seemed to work well.  We should be able to run the ball against FIU.  That was the other problem.  Could we have passed more downfield?  Yes.  But you would also expect to run the ball a lot and be successful because it was FIU.  We didn't need to pass against TN-Martin.

If we score in the redzone more and stop turning the ball over (and get turnovers) the game isn't close.  They get 1 big pass play with a lot of backups in and score a TD after that safety...which shouldn't have happened, either, since we had that first down without the penalty.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  22,706
  • Days Won:  108

Problem with our passing attack is when we go 5 wide and the other team sends a LB or 2, there is no one in the backfield to block which results in:

I don't sit and break down film, but I get the feeling that our longest completions this year have not resulted from the empty backfield set.

SLANTS!!!!!!!!

When was the last time you actually saw a slant?   Shoot, go 4 wide so you can have the RB draw option or the RB swing pass (imagine taylor or ford out there one on one after the two WRs on that side take their DBs deep or to the other side of the field on crosses.).

The main thing isn't the # of WRs on the field. It's the type of routes they are running.  They are always running these 3 yard button hooks and outs/ins which basically negates our WR's size and speed advantages.

Get these guys running 15 yard plus patterns taking their guys deeper and then if they blitz and Grothe is rolling out (which we aren't doing as much of this year I've noticed); then those 2-3 yard runs become 5-6 yard runs which change the complexion of what you can do on the next down.  We're not even talking about the big plays which we could get from someone like Hill making a decent block down field for him.

I think this subject came up after the Rutgers game last year.  We do run slants.  Problem is our wide receivers rarely break a tackle on a slant play.  That is where the big yardage comes after a blitz on a slant pattern.  The D-backs play close to the line of scrimmage when there is a blitz called because they know there won't be time to throw deep.  For all the talk on how fast they are, they don't break many tackles.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

It seems like it occurs a lot... before you read further understand that I am a big fan of jim leavitt and this coaching staff...

My main question is this:

Does our problem of playing down to the competition fall on the shoulders of the coaching staff? Players slacking off and expecting to run over an opponent is coaching in my opinion. The coaches need to find a way to make his players believe that this game could KILL our season (even if it really wouldnt)... I  think the coaches need to do a better job of getting our guys up to play this type of game... Sooner or later we are going to be on the losing end of one of these games.

this is leavitt way

he cant motivate them

SLANTS!!!!!!!!

When was the last time you actually saw a slant?   Shoot, go 4 wide so you can have the RB draw option or the RB swing pass (imagine taylor or ford out there one on one after the two WRs on that side take their DBs deep or to the other side of the field on crosses.).

I think this subject came up after the Rutgers game last year.  We do run slants.  Problem is our wide receivers rarely break a tackle on a slant play.  That is where the big yardage comes after a blitz on a slant pattern.  The D-backs play close to the line of scrimmage when there is a blitz called because they know there won't be time to throw deep.  For all the talk on how fast they are, they don't break many tackles.

grothe needs to hit them in stride

and we dont run nearly enough slants

instead of grothe up the middle 10 times for no gain we should throw the ball

texas tech,june jones dont have this problem

• Content Count:  1,633

the coaching staff cant find away to motivate our boys

they great  programs like usc dont have this problem week after week;year after year

If USC is so great, why aren't you on their message board?

• Content Count:  21,338
  • Days Won:  10

they great  programs like usc dont have this problem week after week;year after year

If USC is so great, why aren't you on their message board?

He wants to continue to anoy us.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  37,659
  • Days Won:  29

I think it's a comination of players & coaches, coaches being about 75% of the blame and 100% of that is Leavitt.

Really expected our BULLS to play much better against UCF & FIU ... we need to this Saturday night.

Go BULLS !!!

• Content Count:  1,412

cough, cough, sputter... sorry, excuse me, must have something in my throat!

Archived